Tips For Beginners

I thought that we would throw some helpful hints out there for beginners. You know.... just to help them so they don't die before day 40.

These are going to be 5+ tips that I've learned over my DST career.

1 - Don't make a winter hat - Winter hats are pretty much useless.... well the only one I consider making is the Beefalo hat and still I hardly make that. So just ignore winter hats, all you need is your trusty thermal stone.

2 - IGNORE WILLOW - I don't care how good you are LEAVE WILLOW ALONE! She is overall just a bad character.... please......

3 - Stay away from caves - Caves are a GREAT place to get the AWESOME resources, but as a beginner it's a nightmare. Just go down there get 20 lightbulbs make a lantern and leave.

4 - I always make my base the same way everytime. I get 80 rocks, 40 logs, 30 grass, 30 twigs, 20 charcoal, 10 gold. It makes a good base. It makes an alchemy engine, firepit, thermal measurer, rainometer, 3 crockpots. It works for me really well. You could also get 80 petals, 30 berry bushes, 25 twig saplings, 25 grass tufts. After you get that you feed 4 monster meat to a pig throw the petals on the ground and wait for the poop. (When a werepig eats anything besides seeds he poops) You could also throw in some red mushrooms to kill him, sorry I dont know the exact number.

5 - You could also get 80 petals, 30 berry bushes, 25 twig saplings, 25 grass tufts. After you get that you feed 4 monster meat to a pig throw the petals on the ground and wait for the poop. (When a werepig eats anything besides seeds he poops) You could also throw in some red mushrooms to kill him, sorry I dont know the exact number. 

6 - DON'T EAT RAW FOOD - OMG THIS ONE REALLY GETS AT ME! I'll see some of my friends eat raw berries at half hunger and it makes me cringe...... SOMETIMES THEY'LL EAT RAW NEXT TO A CAMPFIRE UGHHHH (DON'T DO THIS UNLESS YOUR STARVING COOKING IT GIVES MORE HUNGER AND HEALTH VALUE)

7 - Don't cup your hands under a beefalos poop hole... - I've seen people just camp beefalo and It is really annoying... don't do that there's alot better things to do than that you don't need 72 improved farms.... ALSO don't make basic farms please.....

8 - Sanity - Sanity in my opinion is one of the easiest things to deal with in DST, but I play wigfrid sooooooo yeah... ANYWAY ways to deal with sanity is to kill nightmare creatures. THESE LITTLE ANNOYING BUTTHOLES are REALLY easy to kite. (Bait attack come and back attack repeat) Sanity hats. I highly hate the flower garland. It's a waste of manure (read #5) and they hardly do anything. now don't guote me on this but green mushrooms heal sanity IF COOKED COOK THEM OR THATS -50 SANITY!

Anyway that was my last tip I can give (There's alot more I just don't want to type them) So how about you guys? Do you guys got tips? Sorry if any typos! :D

Please don't start arguments about #2! 

My advice is to find a cave if you’re a beginner, especially if you are Maxwell because caves are a sanctuary from your first Winter and Summer. You won’t over heat, barely freeze.

Also the giants can’t get you. With that being said, as a beginner do not go deep into the caves. Build a base close to the exit. First thing I do when I start a world is make a cave base.

Also if you find rabbit hutches rebuild them within running distance from your base so you have a way to clear out cave worms. Be careful of having meat near them tho.

My tip is to be aware of where you base. Make sure you don't base by ponds or scattered twigs because I cannot tell you how many times I have gotten destroyed by Moosegoose....

Also, some people may not know this but you should find walrus camps to get a walking cane and tam o shanter... those two items are extremely useful since early players freak out over sanity and because who doesn't want to walk faster???

A couple that come to mind immediately that have not yet been covered..

1: Organize your inventory. This can seem unnecessary at first, but it is really helpful to know where things are on your toolbar, and where things will pop up when you loot them. I keep my tools and weapons on the left, my resources on the right, so that things I loot come up in the middle. I always know where to slide the cursor for my lantern, my bat, or for whatever I need. 

2: Learn what you will find in each Biome. This can be crucial for really new players. Wandering off into the wrong biome before you have the food you will need or a good amount of twigs and grass can be a death sentence. 

3: Use the prebuild option! You can build something, and then cancel it's placement to have that item ready to place whenever you need it. This can save you some much needed inventory space while you are out gathering for your base. I have built small outposts simply to prebuild a bunch of stuff. Having a Fridge, Crockpot, Alchemy, Lightning Rod, Drying Rack, Campfire, a Chest and what ever else ready when you find the right spot is very handy!

Another huge one for survivability is the Bunnyman. A pigman farm is no match for the 2 carrots and 1 possible meat from each daily spawning bunnyman. The Rabbit Hutch only requiring wood, and not stone as well, also makes it easy to craft and renewable! 

Tips:

- Don't constantly pester others by sending them a lot of PSN messages asking them to go to your world to build certain items with rare skins and then getting butthurt by unfriending them when they ignore you.

- After visiting someone else's world, please learn to drop all items... specially when they have politely asked you to do it before allowing you join. 

- Learn common cortesy

1 hour ago, jesuisralph said:

Tips:

- After visiting someone else's world, please learn to drop all items... specially when they have politely asked you to do it before allowing you join. 

- Learn common cortesy

I wish the Hosts would understand this as well. I get it if you(host) disconnected you didn't have the opportunity to ask people to drop their items. However i get tired of going into peoples servers collecting a large amount of resources only for them to just shutdown the server. Its frustrating and only hurts the host anyway. I can't tell you how many times the host has shutdown while i have several rare items on me, and unfortunately for them they'll most likely never get them back.

-Let people know by mic or ingame text that your going to shutdown the server a few minutes before you do, it just makes sense.

Archived