Is it possible to stop beefalo from migrating?

It's over day 700 and I never would of thought this but my beefalo herd is getting a little too close to my base. When I first started my base, I was about 8 screens away from the beefalo herd. Now I'm only 3 screens away from the beefalo herd :( This is going to be a problem obviously. Either because a red hound will be killed and the huge flames will touch a fence and my whole base will be up in flames, or because an unexpected gang of in heat beefalo jumps me and I'm dead. SO I was wondering, if there is anyway to prevent a beefalo herd from migrating to your base? I've tried hitting them and having them follow me to the opposite side of my base but that doesn't work... Sometimes I wonder if this is my punishment for using beefalo to get rid of hounds.

Personally, I'd kill the herd if it was getting too close. If you're at day 700 then you should have more then enough teeth for a tooth trap field. Or if you don't feel like killing them all, just kill one or two and get a beefalo horn. You can use it to (slowly) move the herd back to it's original location.

2 hours ago, fimmatek said:

I wonder if walling them away from base would work? Never tried it, but if the mating beefalos don't attack walls (which I don't know) then it should work.

They don't attack walls, but do go for landing birds when in heat, sometimes hitting the walls in vicinity - yet that happens only when player is around. So walling them/making a wall in their path should prevent their movement. But yeah, plain ol' mass murder of entire herd would solve said problem permanently - maybe use Deerclops, 2 birds one stone.

My guess is that part of the reason why the population expanded to that point is because they are close to your base and you allow them to fight and disperse so more herds spawn around. Like the others said, killing a bunch, walling the rest and startingĀ  a toothtrapsĀ  field as anti hounds mean is the solution.

Nice flowery thumbnail by the way, very seasonal

Beefs can't destroy fossils so you can wall a houndius shootius with fossils so the beefs cant reach it and kill the extra ones with ease. You can give it a hand in the process tho. Such tower can help a little bit against hounds too. If you wanna save your fossils, stone figures also work.

You can use any type of walls to keep beefalo in one spot, how you avoid the issue of beefalo trying to attack birds and such is keeping them away from the wall that is confining them.Ā To do this, place grass walls around the inside of the walls of the pen and breakĀ them down so you can walk on them. If you put a thick enough layer around the wall (three or four walls thick) the beefaloĀ will prefer to stay on land that doesn't have the grass walls on it which keeps them away from the walls, making them very unlikely to chaseĀ birds.

When beefalos are used as anti-hounds setup it's very likely that after each wave beefalo herd when grouping together will move in one direction or another. So you can keep them away from your base by attacking them and running away from your base. Beefalos when grouping together will (again) move in a direction where some beefalos chased you.

Archived