Turn off darkness during sleep phase

Hi,

can you create an option to turn off darkness at sleep phase? It is the inside of an rectangular, two-dimensional "asteroid", no external light enters the place. it just bothers me in planning digging. It has no benefit at all.

If you like darkness, make it frightening to dupes, as it is in another of your games. Make dupes go paranoid when too long at locations without light source. Make them have light sources:

• Torches that are made from Mealwood, burning away with time.  Can be carried by dupe or installed where electricity is not available
  • Headlights made from refined metals that can be recharged at a station from electricity
  • Petroleum lamps that can be refilled at a petroleum pitcher pump

Let dupes have them in an inventory to use them where appropriate.

19 hours ago, SchlauFuchs said:

Hi,

can you create an option to turn off darkness at sleep phase? It is the inside of an rectangular, two-dimensional "asteroid", no external light enters the place. it just bothers me in planning digging. It has no benefit at all.

If you like darkness, make it frightening to dupes, as it is in another of your games. Make dupes go paranoid when too long at locations without light source. Make them have light sources:

• Torches that are made from Mealwood, burning away with time.  Can be carried by dupe or installed where electricity is not available
  • Headlights made from refined metals that can be recharged at a station

Let dupes have them in an inventory to use them where appropriate.

Yeah it has no benefit, simply there for immersion. An option for everything would be great aye? xD

1 minute ago, SchlauFuchs said:

I love immersion, but this "nighttime" darkness does not at a lot to it because it does not make sense to me.

The immersion of it being "night time" for the deeps. The time when they would sleep. Yeah, they're in asteroid but still meant to simulate night.

Just now, TheExceed said:

The immersion of it being "night time" for the deeps. The time when they would sleep. Yeah, they're in asteroid but still meant to simulate night.

I'd rather have them a watch with a sleep and awake alarm - individually if possible, to have shifts defined.

the point is, in a world hermetically isolated from outer space there is no "night" and"day" and pretending such a night by turning down an imaginary light source to make it harder for players to identify ores is just annoying.

I just got the idea of two more lamp types - "Natural Gas Lantern" and "Petroleum Lantern". The first one could be fed with a gas pipe, the second one with a liquid pipe or by manual activity. The infrastructure might be more complicated but the energy efficiency would be higher.

On 5/14/2018 at 4:18 PM, SchlauFuchs said:

the point is, in a world hermetically isolated from outer space there is no "night" and"day" and pretending such a night by turning down an imaginary light source to make it harder for players to identify ores is just annoying.

I'm all for immersion, but a darker night cycle helps players identify the period of the cycle dupes have set aside for sleep.  As such, I think it should stay.  As to the argument of making the asteroid darker as a whole and fleshing out the illumination system, I'm all for it.  The F5 overlay needs some love.

I think a majority of players do not want to have all the dupes to sleep all at the same time - it usually causes morning situations where power runs out, pumps stopped working etc.

And all I want is a game option to turn it on and off as it pleases us.

Archived