abyssalite nerfed?

1 hour ago, Kasuha said:

That would just make heat transfer through abyssalite faster.

I have no idea what kind of averaging did devs use for heat transfer coefficients, but if now heat is transferred even through adjacent abyssalite tiles, then there's something seriously wrong about it and it should be fixed based on physically sound approximations, not through further uncontrolled hacks into the physics implementation.

Thermal conductivity of 10-5 is not zero so in long term, it's mean problematic heat transfer. It's mean, for a difference of 100 °C, 0.001 Joules by tiles/ seconds (depending of devs using real seconds or in game seconds, it's could change a lot, i personnaly think since someone (maybe you) tell me that's game made 5 calculation/seconds that's one real second equal 5 ingame seconds)

In real physic even vacuum transfer heat with radiation conductivity at about 6.10-8 so you can store something hot or cold indefinitely, like this it's seems nothing but it's made in fact a huge and problematic amount of energy transfer when you try to store for example liquid oxygen

32 minutes ago, Kasuha said:

That's the theory the patch note suggests but it does not appear to be supported by experiments.

The Problem now is that for example the magma at the bottom can heat up the first layer of abyssalite much faster to a temperature like for example 1600°C thanks to using the halfed magma conducitivty times temperature difference, and then the second layer is only 80°C, so the conductivity between those is 0.0001 times the temperature difference or in this case 0.152 and now we are talking about an existing conductivity, and while the difference will shrink and so the conductivity, the conductivity between the second and third layer will go up...

I noticed it in the stable branch where some molten iron managed to touch the wall and rapidly heated up the normal abyssalite tiles. in that case, the thermal conductivity was something like 0.22... so even better than sandstone and i could watch the temp rise until the iron cooled down enough.

So while under normal conditions double layered abyssalite should still work the same as before, the extrem cases where you work with really high temperatures (volcanos, lava powered steamturbines or petrolrefineries) are something totally different that has nothing to do with the changes. The only new thing is that abyssalite can exchange temperatures more easily with other materials.

You can see it on the screenshots from Flydo: the outer layer of abyssalite is "bleeding out" it's temperature, but the transfer between them is still quite normal (no "heatcircle" from the hotter abyssalite into the colder abyssalite) the only two hot ones who can touch the cold air are probably spawned as part of the caustic biome wall and where already hot and are now cooling down.

9 hours ago, GemeinerJack said:

You can see it on the screenshots from Flydo: the outer layer of abyssalite is "bleeding out" it's temperature, but the transfer between them is still quite normal (no "heatcircle" from the hotter abyssalite into the colder abyssalite) the only two hot ones who can touch the cold air are probably spawned as part of the caustic biome wall and where already hot and are now cooling down.

Thank for the information, it's could be usefull in some case to know it. In many vase i use vacuum isolation so i don't have this kind of trouble.

In my opinion, it's quite annoying to learn that devs change the ingame thermodynamics laws to become less realistic

Archived