Smart Storage Compactor

Useful to stop continuous cooking being done if the storage the food assigned to is full, stops a dupe constantly cooking food and generating heat. I suppose you could also use it to stop a chain of events to do with your farms? where x amount of raw food is available stop farms water supply, would save water I suppose.

15 minutes ago, BlueLance said:

Useful to stop continuous cooking being done if the storage the food assigned to is full, stops a dupe constantly cooking food and generating heat. I suppose you could also use it to stop a chain of events to do with your farms? where x amount of raw food is available stop farms water supply, would save water I suppose.

You can't store food inside.

Another useful difference is the material they're built from. Since metal is much better at transferring heat, I use smart storage for temporarily storing materials that should be cooled down first, e.g. plastic.

AFAIK there's problem with smart compactors that when they get almost full (19999/20000 kg) they won't trigger but dupes won't deliver any material to them. I kinda wish they worked like smart battery - activate below X%, deactivate above Y%, and these percent come from the compactor's total capacity.

1 hour ago, SamLogan said:

You can't store food inside.

Smart fridge?

38 minutes ago, BlueLance said:

I never checked but is there a smart fridge? If so I LIVE!

Also Kasuha thank you for mentioning that, This kind of detracts me from doing what I wanted, but rther that than lose a colony accidently

Normal fridges are smart. The not smart version is the ration box.

5 minutes ago, Luminite2 said:

Okay I got confused. I'd swear they were two different buildings but it seems they aren't, the standard fridge just got upgraded.

I haven't used them for ages, most of the time I just make sure my food production matches consumption so nothing or only minimum spoils. And later I make berry sludge that doesn't spoil at all.

3 hours ago, Kasuha said:

AFAIK there's problem with smart compactors that when they get almost full (19999/20000 kg) they won't trigger but dupes won't deliver any material to them. I kinda wish they worked like smart battery - activate below X%, deactivate above Y%, and these percent come from the compactor's total capacity.

Smart fridge?

Such an annoying bug. When it triggers in my colony I drop the storage limit by 1kg to force the on signal then pop it back to normal capacity later after its been interacted with. I'd love for smart compactors to work like smart batteries. Hell i'd be happy with a single slider that's just 'active above this threshold'.

21 hours ago, Luminite2 said:

They send out automation signals? Is that when they get full and the green light shows up? I never knew that, I wonder if it tells you that anywhere, if not then it should. Would have been handy for preventing food overproduction.

On 4/11/2018 at 4:18 AM, snormer said:

Still useful to put a limit on continuous refined metal and plastic production.

here's an example, this one stores 8T of plastic and then stops the polymer presses. I have a conveyor carrying plastic out into the base and storing another 8T there. Along with whatever is stuck on the rail. When all of that storage is full, the thing stops making plastic until there's room again.

image.png.96d3ed1510a98535a660cd9331d88b3e.png

Same thing with fertilizer here, I'm not using the fert synth for their NG production but to keep my crops going. I also have a bit of a water constraint, so I only just make enough fertilizer to keep up with demand:

image.thumb.png.c8aee1d6fe32bf6ec38ebcc76f0288b2.png

20 hours ago, avc15 said:

here's an example, this one stores 8T of plastic and then stops the polymer presses. I have a conveyor carrying plastic out into the base and storing another 8T there. Along with whatever is stuck on the rail. When all of that storage is full, the thing stops making plastic until there's room again.

image.png.96d3ed1510a98535a660cd9331d88b3e.png

Same thing with fertilizer here, I'm not using the fert synth for their NG production but to keep my crops going. I also have a bit of a water constraint, so I only just make enough fertilizer to keep up with demand:

image.thumb.png.c8aee1d6fe32bf6ec38ebcc76f0288b2.png

Which cell do the press and synths actually spawn their outputs on? If it's 1 cell above the floor you could get the same results with a weight plate for less material cost and without the potential for the storage to bug. If they spawn it on the floor tile then the weight plate bug will prevent this (unless it's been fixed, it's been a while since I used weight plates).

Archived