Upgraded Algae Farm (Puft and Morb breeding)

This is an upgrade of my design on this post:

In this new setup I have one room were I breed and tame pufts, once I have a set of 4 pufts tamed, and 4 eggs to replace them I open the door and let them into the next room with the lure.  I repeat the process as many times as I need until I have 24 tamed pufts per algae distiller

Also I have outhouses to the left to spawn morbs. once I see an outhouse is full I lock the door preventing dupes from cleaning it.  Once a mob spawns I unlock the door so dupes can catch the morb and clean the outhouse

Note: a lot of morbs are needed to feed 100 pufts so look for alternative PO sources to supplement your needs like a polluted oxygen geyser or vapor from polluted water

20180403084115_1.thumb.jpg.197393c1754170e41179c4d1b8ad1e4f.jpg

2 hours ago, Technoincubus said:

But morbs require plastic trap to capture. There were a ddesign where morbs are dropped into a room from above via automation when they press pressure plate. But i can't remember the topic about it.

Can't Ranger catch morbs? 

3 hours ago, Technoincubus said:

But morbs require plastic trap to capture. There were a ddesign where morbs are dropped into a room from above via automation when they press pressure plate. But i can't remember the topic about it.

Is it this one ?

1 hour ago, Neotuck said:

Can't Ranger catch morbs? 

This is why you need to spend less time in debug bud :D 

That's a ridiculous amount of morbs (just think of the bathroom visits needed alone....) so it's basically entirely impractical, so not much use to anyone sadly.

Also, 24 tame pufts.... Have you any idea how much polluted oxygen that would consume? Like... honestly - it's an ungodly amount - and in your build you want 96 tame pufts? Jesus....

Here's as small a set up as I could be bothered figuring out - and all this showed me is that, without a ridiculous amount of PO2, pufts (and indeed morbs for that matter) are entirely useless if you want any reasonable amount of slime (or algae in your case) as an end result. As far as I can see, the only thing they're good for is wasting polluted oxygen as the game stands currently.

image.thumb.png.e729c59e607ab28893302372a1930040.png

8 hours ago, Lifegrow said:

This is why you need to spend less time in debug bud :D 

That's a ridiculous amount of morbs (just think of the bathroom visits needed alone....) so it's basically entirely impractical, so not much use to anyone sadly.

Also, 24 tame pufts.... Have you any idea how much polluted oxygen that would consume? Like... honestly - it's an ungodly amount - and in your build you want 96 tame pufts? Jesus....

Here's as small a set up as I could be bothered figuring out - and all this showed me is that, without a ridiculous amount of PO2, pufts (and indeed morbs for that matter) are entirely useless if you want any reasonable amount of slime (or algae in your case) as an end result. As far as I can see, the only thing they're good for is wasting polluted oxygen as the game stands currently.

A fair point, perhaps algae farming is impractical unless you happen to have a polluted oxygen vent on your map

It's not that impractical if you have quite a few incubators set up.. bathrooms and breeding morbs can get that many more pretty quickly. If I hatched every hatch again on my cycle 600 world.. I would have well over 200 hatches

So I have been building an algae farm in survival. I'm at like Cycle 1400 or something.

I don't  need it, but I don't have much else to do in this save.

I combined the idea here, with the bug, mentioned on another thread, that causes infinite morbs to spawn from toilets. (Pressure plate to break the toilet when the morb spawns causes it to spawn forever).

The problem I have is it seems to be bugging out, the slime does not get to the algae distiller, unless I'm watching it. As if the hundred or so pufts and zillion morbs are causing too much lag that it doesn't even function when off the screen.

I had to revert to an older save with less morbs and pufts because lots of **** was breaking.

13 minutes ago, Hellshound38 said:

The problem I have is it seems to be bugging out, the slime does not get to the algae distiller, unless I'm watching it

I have seen this bug too, at first I thought it was evaporating into PO, but after encasing the rails in tiles, water, air pressure over 1.8kg, seemed to work but if it's off screen the slime disappears from the rail baskets

18 minutes ago, Hellshound38 said:

The problem I have is it seems to be bugging out, the slime does not get to the algae distiller, unless I'm watching it. As if the hundred or so pufts and zillion morbs are causing too much lag that it doesn't even function when off the screen.

It sublimates. The solution is to have the slime drop into a small surface layer of water - enough so that it wont drown your morbs (not that you really need morbs, they're garbage nowadays sadly).

Pair that with a clock sensor to control your sweeper arms and you can move much larger packets of slime that'll actually make it to their destination.

It's still a bit of a pointless build though IMO @Neotuck, I love you but you'd be better focusing your efforts on something that'll actually be useful for your games, rather than a concept that the current numbers just don't allow.

Also - please send me your gaming rig - mine cant handle the amounts of critters that you like to play with ;) 

10 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

It's still a bit of a pointless build though IMO @Neotuck, I love you but you'd be better focusing your efforts on something that'll actually be useful for your games, rather than a concept that the current numbers just don't allow.

I already admitted this is a impractical build after your last comment, puft stables are better paired with dust cap greenhouses than algae farms

11 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

Also - please send me your gaming rig - mine cant handle the amounts of critters that you like to play with ;) 

You wish :D I spent 2 years worth of tax returns to build a game rig that could run Ark Survival on ultra graphics with no lag, a few hundred critters on ONI is nothing :p

My tiny puft farm experiments continue. I have two tame pufts who are always on the verge of starving, with two morbs providing polluted oxygen, plus a polluted water pool giving it off. So you need at least one morb per tame puft.

Needless to say the slime output is in grams per day, and I've only just got it delivering to my mushroom farm via conveyor without evaporating thanks to advice on here (put rails behind tiles and put receptacle in water).

Making it worse is when you hatch a new puft it hatches at the egg machine, so you gotta lure it to the farm. Of course my incubator wasn't anywhere near the farm...

I tried some outhouses to make morbs but they never seem to appear, I set the priority to 1 but I think my dupes may be sneakily cleaning them when I'm not looking. I guess I could dismantle all my normal toilets to force outhouse use but that's a pain. My two morbs are the only two in the wild and I explored the whole map.

Wait, can you ranch morbs? That might make it a bit more feasible.

Anyway I agree the whole setup and time spent vs reward is in no way worth it right now in standard survival. Annoying thing is I have at least 5 wild pufts around the map but no way to capture them. If they allow creature trap for pufts that would at least help, so you use lure and place a trap next to it.

I think you also need to either allow morb breeding, increase morb PO output or make tame pufts need less PO for it to become remotely worth it.

Archived