How to grow unlimited Pincha Peppernuts

11 minutes ago, BT_20 said:

@Saturnus since wild plants have no needs would encasing them in abyssalite with a sweeper mean you can just have all the wild plants on the map be hooked up to a conveyor.

and if so how much food could this provide?

7 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Yup. More than enough for 8 dupes eternally with the highest quality food there is.

Keep in mind speepers generate heat and if encased in abyssalite you will create an oven for the wild plants, it will be very slow but still happen

This sounds like a bit of a bug.  I don't think it is supposed do that.  It should only cut a cycle off of the grow time (by doubling the growth speed for one cycle).  Are you sure it isn't a glitch in the text?  If it is a glitch, a constantly boosted plant should grow in 16 cycles.  I wasn't actually sure if the wild plants could be buffed and I hadn't tested it.  It could increase the number of dupes you can feed pepper bread.

Personally, I find that if you have enough of them, wild pinchapeppers are fairly dependable.  In that you can depend on the fact that 2 pinchapepper plants produces on average 1 meal per day if made in to pepper bread.  With 96 plants, you can support 48 dupes if the plants can be harvested efficiently (which is a big if...)

16 hours ago, Kasuha said:

Somehow, I find it hard to carry myself over the theoretical non-sustainability of peppers regardless the fact that available phosphorite is going to suffice for thousands of cycles.

I am exactly the same, almost to the degree of being ridiculous about it I refrain from using any non-sustainable resource for long term management. I do use Pepper but wild ones, now, since last update, enclosed in farm.

Same with cleaning oxygen with sand. I set up a puft farm instead despite the fact that the sand on the map would probably last longer than any of my playthrough s. 

15 minutes ago, Ketmol said:

Same with cleaning oxygen with sand. I set up a puft farm instead despite the fact that the sand on the map would probably last longer than any of my playthrough s. 

Given that any rock can be turned directly into sand with the rock crusher you can scratch the probably. You will literally never run out of sand.

And you can technically also make sand using fridges as described above.

One thing to keep in mind though is that the longest know running base lasted about 7060 cycles before finally succumbing to the time dilation bug that makes cycles last longer and longer until the dupes finally die of starvation in their sleep.

So planning for infinite set ups is a fruitless waste of time until that has been fixed. If a colony can last for 8000 cycles it is as good as infinite given the current game engine limitations.

Btw, I earlier mention strategically placed sweepers to autoharvest wild grown pincha peppers. In doing that remember that gravity is your friend. The plant itself does not need to be in reach of the sweeper, only the floor the nuts are dropped on. You just need to dig out the rocks that obstructs the fall.

Here's an example of a sweeper reaching the nuts dropped of 7 pincha peppers (and 4 balm lilies)

Autoharvest.thumb.png.d427c77cd20828240e501cb7d748ced5.png

18 hours ago, Rotintin said:

I'd love to see the math on what's more efficient, but that's beyond me haha.

Shouldn't be too hard to calculate. Outhouse takes 6.7 KG of Dirt per use while Lavatory takes 5 KG of Water. Assuming the Fertilizer and Pwater start at a similar temp (in practice it's probably easier to keep the PWater at a fairly hot temperature since it can work in a loop enclosed in Abyssalite) of 40°C.

You need to raise the temperature of PWater from 40°C to 119.4°C or an increase of 79.4°C, PWater has a heat capacity of 6 (J/g)/K so you need : 6*5000*79.4 = 2 382kJ for each use of your lavatory.

For Fertilizer you need to raise the temperature from 40°C to 125°C or an increase of 85°C, not sure of the heat capacity but I will take dirt so 1.48 (J/g)/K so you need : 1.48 * 6700 * 85 = 842.86kJ for each use of your Outhouse.

There is just one saving grace for PWater it's that vaporization of PWater actually delete lot of heat, each gram of PWater vaporized delete 708.4 Joules, in our case that would be 3 542kJ, so it can be used as a pretty decent cooling system for the rest of your base.

5 hours ago, Saturnus said:

Given that any rock can be turned directly into sand with the rock crusher you can scratch the probably. You will literally never run out of sand.

And you can technically also make sand using fridges as described above.

One thing to keep in mind though is that the longest know running base lasted about 7060 cycles before finally succumbing to the time dilation bug that makes cycles last longer and longer until the dupes finally die of starvation in their sleep.

So planning for infinite set ups is a fruitless waste of time until that has been fixed. If a colony can last for 8000 cycles it is as good as infinite given the current game engine limitations.

My longest base lasted 3000+ cycles... so not nearly long enough to run out of anything .. but one thing,,  metal to construct more stuff with.

I don't plan for infinite setup because i need to, but because it is a nice challenge (not really that much if you are using geysers and nullifiers etc.. but anyway), :) and because I am silly and like the idea of not using non-renewable s. 

Just now, Ketmol said:

I don't plan for infinite setup because i need to, but because it is a nice challenge, :) and because I am silly and like the idea of not using non-renewable s. 

I do too within reason. The difference I know the game behaves very differently when you get past 4000-5000 cycles so all your ideas about sustainability you can throw out the window. They only work in theory, not in the game.

Archived