How to grow unlimited Pincha Peppernuts

4 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

20? Yeah, that's way off :D

Oh I see what I did wrong, I calculated 0.5 grains per cycle but I did the equation backwards, it should be 2 grains per cycle.

Ya I was off you only need 5

2 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

I don't cook dirt as it takes a lot of PW, much easier to recycle water for lavatories 

Are you using sand? Technically finite. Boiling polluted water would work too, not sure it'd take less power.

4 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

I don't cook dirt as it takes a lot of PW, much easier to recycle water for lavatories 

Oh, I'm cooking fertilizer.

Just now, Rotintin said:

Are you using sand? Technically finite. Boiling polluted water would work too, not sure it'd take less power.

nope I avoid finite resources or else it would't be a perpetual base by definition 

9 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

There are better ways to sustainably get sand. Cook algae, slime or fertilizer to 125C(ish) and it turns into dirt, which you can cook further into sand.

Slime or algae you get from pufts that are fed by morbs.

Just now, Saturnus said:

There are better ways to sustainably get sand. Cook algae, slime or fertilizer to 125C(ish) and it turns into dirt, which you can cook further into sand.

in debug mode yes but currently there isn't a way to raise the temp high enough to make sand (326.9C) without magma which is also finite

3 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

... but currently there isn't a way to raise the temp high enough to make sand (326.9C) without magma which is also finite

There is, it's just very slow. But since you have an infinite on your hands that's not a problem. Fridges can get you those temperatures.

12 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

There is also, it's just very slow. But since you have an infinite on your hands that's not a problem. Fridges can get you those temperatures.

fridges don't overheat?  I'll have to test this out

15 minutes ago, Rotintin said:

I'd love to see the math on what's more efficient, but that's beyond me haha.

Here's a screenshot of my perpetual base so far (living area with 1 dupe) all supporting structures off screen are fully automated

20180305135022_1.thumb.jpg.e002f7385673b20a2064b52e3ac6f1f0.jpg

1 hour ago, Soulwind said:

I expect that this is unintended behaviour and will be changed eventually.   Either removing the ability to apply farmers touch to wild plants or at least to make it work correctly and only halve the growing time (rather than treating wild plants as if they are domesticated)

possible but considering all the other bugs in the game players have exploited, (deleting gas with doors or deleting heat though drip cooling) this one seems less likely to be fixed

Btw, as far as I know there's no reason to put the farming station next to the pincha peppers. You get no bonus from green houses other than increased seed drop chance which isn't really an issue with wild grown plants. Farmers will apply the farmers touch to plant regardless if they're in a green house or not, and it will increase growth regardless if in a green house or not. At least as far I know.

1 minute ago, Saturnus said:

Btw, as far as I know there's no reason to put the farming station next to the pincha peppers. You get no bonus from green houses other than increased seed drop chance which isn't really an issue with wild grown plants. Farmers will apply the farmers touch to plant regardless if they're in a green house or not, and it will increase growth regardless if in a green house or not. At least as far I know.

Farmers only fertilize natural plants in greenhouses

5 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

farm stations need to be in a greenhouse to function

4 minutes ago, Rotintin said:

Farmers only fertilize natural plants in greenhouses

I've seen it happen to plants outside greenhouses. When they do it at all. Though not on wild grown plant admittedly. Also, I don't actually use farm stations at all since early preview, so things might have changed. I still see them as pointless, and not working properly.

I've seen it happen to plants outside greenhouses. When they do it at all. Though not on wild grown plant admittedly. Also, I don't actually use farm stations at all since early preview, so things might have changed. I still see them as pointless, and not working properly.

they were very buggy in early update but it's been patched, you should give them a second try

Just now, Saturnus said:

They speed up growth for sure, but it does take a lot of time for dupes to fertilize. That's why I don't think this is that game breaking OP. I essentially have 4 dupes working full time to supply food for 10 total. It's the least effective time per calorie farming style, not to mention you can't chose where these farms are,  adding in travel time to the equation. I think it's fairly balanced all things considered.

Just now, Neotuck said:

they were very buggy in early update but it's been patched, you should give them a second try

I prefer closed of dupeless farms so they won't make any sense for me regardless if they work as they should or not.

Just now, Saturnus said:

I prefer closed of dupeless farms so they won't make any sense for me regardless if they work as they should or not.

how do you make a dupeless farm? is there a way to automate harvesting? 

4 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

how do you make a dupeless farm? is there a way to automate harvesting? 

Disable harvesting. Sweepers pick up the food. That increases the growth cycle by 4 cycles regardless of plant though so factor that in.

Edit: for slow growing plants like sleet wheat and pincha pepper that's not a severe penalty though.

Disable harvesting. Sweepers pick up the food. That increases the growth cycle by 4 cycles regardless of plant though so factor that in.

Oh right, I forgot they drop their crops after a while.  Sounds interesting, wonder if the extra cycles would make it worth it?  I'm gonna work on some builds and post them later 

2 minutes ago, BT_20 said:

@Saturnus since wild plants have no needs would encasing them in abyssalite with a sweeper mean you can just have all the wild plants on the map be hooked up to a conveyor.

and if so how much food could this provide?

Yup. More than enough for 8 dupes eternally with the highest quality food there is.

Archived