How to grow unlimited Pincha Peppernuts

We all know the best quality food needs pincha peppernuts but the phosphorite needed to grow them is limited.  And wild ones take 32 cycles which is too long to be dependable.  

But if you build a greenhouse around wild pincha pepperplants then they get the same buff as domestic ones.  In the pictures I converted some ruins into a greenhouse and in the last picture you can see a new pepperplant at 0% growth can be harvested in 6.4 cycles!  That's faster than the 8 cycles domestic peperplants take without buffs AND you don't need phosphorite or PW!

20180305113126_1.thumb.jpg.721c6062db3a2301b66b9c7ecc145ad5.jpg5a9d748c7add6_WildPincha.png.4cd3bd4726b4678f1e982e7cedbf0225.png

2 minutes ago, BT_20 said:

@Neotuck this is a pretty cool idea but the question is are there enough wild pepper plants in a map to support a colony on pepper bread as you can’t plant wild ones so if you uproot one it’s gone.

The answer is yes. If you're being careful with both wild grown sleet wheat and pincha peppers you can sustain a very large colony living on wild grown pepper bread.

13 minutes ago, BT_20 said:

@Neotuck this is a pretty cool idea but the question is are there enough wild pepper plants in a map to support a colony on pepper bread as you can’t plant wild ones so if you uproot one it’s gone.

That is a good question and it depends on how many dupes you plan to have, and if you are planing on pepper bread then you will need about 1 peppernut per cycle to support them. (or less if they don't burn a full 4000 kcal working)

If my math is right my pepper plants grow in 6.4 cycles and produce 4 peppernuts each and that's about 0.625 peppernuts per cycle so you will need about 2 wild pepperplants per dupe.

Also look around the map and find clusters of wild pepperplants growing close together for greenhouses, here's one with 5

20180305123232_1.thumb.jpg.b83f307f74635baaffedad53cb44675a.jpg

This is awesome I think there’s more than enough pinchas to support my base but for the greenhouse assuming it’s perfectly insulated would it ever need to have its conditions maintained.

However cool it is (and yes I'm considering a wild pepperplant farm for my colony as well), I have a feeling that this use of pepper plants is going to be nerfed. At the very least, tending should double the growth rate (32->16 days) but it's a question if wild plants should be tend-able at all.

4 minutes ago, Kasuha said:

Somehow, I find it hard to carry myself over the theoretical non-sustainability of peppers regardless the fact that available phosphorite is going to suffice for thousands of cycles.

true, wild pincha pepper farming is more like a fall back after thousands of cycles 

Just now, Neotuck said:

true, wild pincha pepper farming is more like a fall back after thousands of cycles 

I don't know. Seems like a legitimate strategy for me. First you have meal wood in the beginning, then you have bristle blossoms for the mid term, and in the long term when you have explored most of the map you have wild grown food.

4 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

I just started two random maps and counted it.

map A: 99 pincha peppers and 79 sleet wheat

map B: 97 pincha peppers and 84 sleet wheat

Just now, Saturnus said:

I don't know. Seems like a legitimate strategy for me. First you have meal wood in the beginning, then you have bristle blossoms for the mid term, and in the long term when you have explored most of the map you have wild grown food.

how about harvest the lone wild pepper for seeds while leaving the clusters alone that way you can build normal greenhouses until you run out of phosphorite?

Just now, Neotuck said:

how about harvest the lone wild pepper for seeds while leaving the clusters alone that way you can build normal greenhouses until you run out of phosphorite?

True. But the reality is, I will never run out of phosphorite regardless. I'd get bored long before that happens, and my computer, well my laptop at least, would probably not be able the strain of a 2500-3000+ cycle game.

1 minute ago, Saturnus said:

True. But the reality is, I will never run out of phosphorite regardless. I'd get bored long before that happens, and my computer, well my laptop at least, would probably not be able the strain of a 2500-3000+ cycle game.

can't argue with that

I love the natural greenhouses, I'm glad to see you're using them now Neotuck. I'm working on a geyser free base now that is utilizing this to the max. To me, it opens up a new play style that adds to the replay value of the game and adds diversity to strategy. This is a good thing, nerfing it would be detrimental to the game.

Just for fun I did a little more math for pepper bread

As said before you get 0.625 wild peppernuts per cycle in a greenhouse with buff 

Domestic Sleet wheat in a greenhouse with buff takes 9 cycles and produces 18 grains (about half a grain per cycle)

so to get one pepper bread per day for 1 dupe you will need about 2 wild pepperplants and 20 sleet wheats all in greenhouses with buffs

Let me know if my math is off

I expect that this is unintended behaviour and will be changed eventually.   Either removing the ability to apply farmers touch to wild plants or at least to make it work correctly and only halve the growing time (rather than treating wild plants as if they are domesticated)

3 minutes ago, Soulwind said:

I expect that this is unintended behaviour and will be changed eventually.   Either removing the ability to apply farmers touch to wild plants or at least to make it work correctly and only halve the growing time (rather than treating wild plants as if they are domesticated)

They don't grow as fast as domesticated with farmer's touch. I posted about this a few days ago

11 minutes ago, Rotintin said:

I love the natural greenhouses, I'm glad to see you're using them now Neotuck. I'm working on a geyser free base now that is utilizing this to the max. To me, it opens up a new play style that adds to the replay value of the game and adds diversity to strategy. This is a good thing, nerfing it would be detrimental to the game.

I been working on a geyser free base for a while and it's been both fun and a challenge.  I also don't use finite resources or the AETNs.

Most of my builds are for creating a fully AFK perpetual base just to see if it's possible 

1 minute ago, Neotuck said:

I been working on a geyser free base for a while and it's been both fun and a challenge.  I also don't use finite resources or the AETNs.

Most of my builds are for creating a fully AFK perpetual base just to see if it's possible 

It's possible. The one hiccup is bathrooms. The one part of my base that requires my attention is breaking down the dirt after the fertilizer is cooked for the outhouses. If it didn't come out in blocks I could afk and the colony would be good. The other option is to have them just make messes, which would be fine as my base is all mesh tile. I'd just rather cook dirt.

Just now, Rotintin said:

It's possible. The one hiccup is bathrooms. The one part of my base that requires my attention is breaking down the dirt after the fertilizer is cooked for the outhouses. If it didn't come out in blocks I could afk and the colony would be good. The other option is to have them just make messes, which would be fine as my base is all mesh tile. I'd just rather cook dirt.

I don't cook dirt as it takes a lot of PW, much easier to recycle water for lavatories 

Archived