One block of sand at 5,000 kg: is this a bug?

I've found a few blocks of sand which have a mass of 5,000 kg.  Is this a bug, or is it normal but rare?  It occurs in a small rectangle (about 5x5) of sand at the edge of the caustic biome, with granite to the left, phosphate to the right, and a few blocks of sandstone scattered in it.

12 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

5000kg isn't 5 tons

I'm not sure what you're talking about. A metric ton is 1000kg. Although specifically in English this is sometimes written as tonne instead of ton, in any other language a ton is 1000kg. 

3 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

I'm not sure what you're talking about. A metric ton is 1000kg. Although specifically in English this is sometimes written as tonne instead of ton, in any other language a ton is 1000kg. 

he didn't say "metric" so I assumed he meant the other ton which is 907.19 kg (2000 lb)

13 minutes ago, MatthewCline said:

So blocks of material are denser outside of the starting biome?

Only sand. There once were only sand in the starting biome but since there were also no geysers the devs added deposits outside the starting biome. For a while these varied in average mass but a few upgrades ago they were all made the same 5 tonnes. 

8 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

oh, google must be wrong then

Indeed. I don't think ton is used to mean anything other than a metric ton outside the US any more. It might still be used in some vocations in the UK to mean a UK ton which is about 1016kg (and different than a US ton) but that's definitely dying out. 

1 minute ago, Neotuck said:

ok now you're just trolling me:D

Google can give different result depending on your country. For instance in german ton means clay, in french it can mean you or pitch.

Just now, Kuirem said:

Google can give different result depending on your country. For instance in german ton means clay, in french it can mean you or pitch.

2 minutes ago, Oozinator said:

Now you are completely and 105,3% sure doomed!ton.thumb.jpg.39567cae605b52075f38d963be8fbce7.jpg
Amen!
^^

FAIL! I can see you're using german

Archived