Hello there,

I'm at cycle 146 at the moment and style running on algae with my 8 dupes. I have 2 manual generators for oxygen and an airlock, and 1 coal generator for gas pumps.

Everything is fine but I struggle a lot with a part of the game right now. I want to expand my base, make it clean of unwanted gasses and keep only oxygen.

I'm trying to decentralize my power production with coal to keep the heat away from my base but can't find a fast way of clearing areas of gas. For now, a pump is in chlorine to try to make a chlorine storage put it takes forever. And another pump to clean a small portion of toxic biome (maybe 40 tiles at most).

How do you deal with this ? Any tips for me ?

Another problem I have. I want to make a checkpoint for resources that come from the toxic biome. But I'm struggling a bit to make a good concept. I'm thinking of ore scrubber setup. Because I can't only put slime in a chlorine storage, I have to clean clay, sometimes other materials that have been infected. 

Any tips on that either ? To keep infected materials away ? Not only slime ?

Another information if you have it... Slime produce polluted oxygen. It stops producing once it is in an atmosphere of 1.8kg. Any other way to stop the PO2 production of slime ?

Vacuum:

Build a water airlock to a wall and fill it. Block the side you want the vacuum in with tiles, so they touch the water. Deconstruct the tiles and now there should be a vacuum on the other side of the airlock. Start digging on the side with the vacuum and do not breach into air-filled rooms. You can create entire rooms with vacuum and don't have to use any pumps.

If there are already gases in your planned room, construct tiles in it until the room is completely obstructed. Build an airlock again and deconstruct the tiles. The room should now have no gasses.

Alternatively you can just ignore the natural gases and use gas pumps to pump out unwanted gases whilst filling the room with the desired gas. The desired gas will always push the unwanted gases together so your pumps can work with maximum efficiency.

Ore Scrubber:

It doesn't have many uses, so don't bother. The only "ore" you want to clean is contaminated algae which is crushed in the Algae Deoxydizer. All other contaminated items (except slime of course) will not cause any Slimlung contamination in your base. The Slimelung will just sit there and do nothing.

Storing slime:

Store it under water. Preferably in freezing cold water so the Slimelung dies.

57 minutes ago, Lacost said:

Storing slime:

Store it under water. Preferably in freezing cold water so the Slimelung dies.

Just to explain to newer players. The water does not have to be cold! I always use water sieve water at 40°C, slimelung dies as well.

But it maybe faster in colder water? Idk that, although I don't think so but I would not be surprised. But they die anyway.

3 minutes ago, Yoma_Nosme said:

Just to explain to newer players. The water does not have to be cold! I always use water sieve water at 40°C, slimelung dies as well.

But it maybe faster in colder water? Idk that, although I don't think so but I would not be surprised. But they die anyway.

It will only die because it is overpopulated. After some time the Slimelung will stop dying unless it is cold enough. Only then it can completely die off.

Thanks for the answers !

Another question : How do I know when to pull off the infected slime and algae from the pool of water ? Do I have to do it manually ? Because splitting a resource between two storage compactors is hard. As clean algae may finish in the contaminated storage. And no way to determine which algae is clean or not.

2 hours ago, Christophlette said:

it takes forever

use two pumps bcs gas pipe can handle 1000g/s but one pump pumpes 500g/s

or pressurize ur oxygen push out the other air

I have to clean clay, sometimes other materials that have been infected. 

Ore scrubber is meh, bcs when dupes working on it other dupe will pass by it.

and use clay for what? i never used them

u don't have to worry about infected materials when u use the material to build stuff dupes will disinfect it.

Any other way to stop the PO2 production of slime ?

water

GOOD LUCK

@Nativel Thank you for the video but it doesn't really answer the questions. I may have misunderstood some parts of the video but all this seems late game solution to handle slime. Thank you nonetheless as some concepts are nice.

11 minutes ago, travaldofan said:

Ore scrubber is meh, bcs when dupes working on it other dupe will pass by it.

and use clay for what? i never used them

u don't have to worry about infected materials when u use the material to build stuff dupes will disinfect it.

What about algae ? This one seems important to handle with care when it has germs. Has any lump of it in an algae deoxyder will transforme to oxygen with germs. Do I have to worry about it or will it die fast in oxygen as there is not a lot of contaminated algae ?

Thank you for the info on gas pipes. Is it the same for liquid pipes ? 2 pumps for one pipe ?

39 minutes ago, Christophlette said:

Do I have to worry about it or will it die fast in oxygen as there is not a lot of contaminated algae ?

If you play on miserable/fatalistic with no passive immune regeneration, the contaminated algae will kill you.

As far as I know it is really, really hard to implement a system that disallows Dupes from using contaminated algae in the Deoxydizers since they don't differentiate between them. I once had an ore scrubber setup, where each Dupe has to pass one ore scrubber per Deoxydizer but this was complicated and ineffective since usually more than one Dupe does the resupplying.

I guess with door permission or pressure plate + Duplicant access automation (late game) you could do it but I don't have a blueprint for it.

I solved the issue by teching into exosuits before mining the toxic biome. Exosuits ignore germ contamination so you are good to go. As soon as you can get your Electrolysers running and then forget about algae.

But if you tinker around a bit more maybe you find a system that works.

29 minutes ago, Lacost said:

If you play on miserable/fatalistic with no passive immune regeneration, the contaminated algae will kill you.

I play on pessimistic/weak so I still have 10% regeneration of immune system. I guess it will be enough to withstand a bit of contaminated algae.

29 minutes ago, Lacost said:

As far as I know it is really, really hard to implement a system that disallows Dupes from using contaminated algae in the Deoxydizers since they don't differentiate between them. I once had an ore scrubber setup, where each Dupe has to pass one ore scrubber per Deoxydizers but this was complicated and ineffective since usually more than one Dupe does the resupplying.

You got a really nice point on that one. A simple pneumatic door with access granted to only one dupe (re-supply dupe with high priority on algae deoxyder) and a ore scrubber on the way should be enough to not worry about contaminated algae forever. Until I switch to electrolysers. Should be soon enough.

Ores / stuff other than slime and algae can also be contaminated and bring in contamination into the base. Especially if used around farms and food. Water bottles are especially dangerous if they get emptied in a fresh water container.

Simple, manual decontamination chamber and scrubbers.
Chlorine pressure is a bit higher than oxygen pressure above.
Compartment at the bottom: CO2 that accumulates over time has to be drained out manually.

image.thumb.png.1bada5a09da838d658aeeaa6ac4b9154.png

4 hours ago, Christophlette said:

Thank you for the info on gas pipes. Is it the same for liquid pipes ? 2 pumps for one pipe ?

1 liquid pump can pump 10kg/s and liquid pipe can hold 10kg so 1:1, gas pump is 2:1, read the building info carefully! 

By the way try to use electrolyzer(care with the temperature they output 70C), i like electrolyzers with some automation door pushing gas system u don't even have to build gas filter and if u pressurize the hydrogen enough it runs itself u only have to worry about moving gas with gas pumps. But it will need atleast 50 cycle and lot of refined metals, metal. So first try to use easy compact setup in forums.

18 hours ago, travaldofan said:

1 liquid pump can pump 10kg/s and liquid pipe can hold 10kg so 1:1, gas pump is 2:1, read the building info carefully!

I read building info carefully :

GasPipe.png.10b9327920b5d654f8336978a6149066.pngGasPipeDetails.png.c48179223665ee6bf7badff263e58cb7.png

There is no info on how much a pipe can contain. Even in ventilation overlay, you can only see what it contains, not the maximum.

Thank you infos nonetheless.

Do anyone know if two gas pumps in a single pipe can cause damage if they are not pumping the same gas (Mixed atmosphere) ? Or do they wait until they pump the same gas then adds togetther ? I can see two pumps in mixed atmosphere running weirdly and not at maximum capacity. But at 100% efficiency in atmosphere containing only one gas.

49 minutes ago, Christophlette said:

I read building info carefully :

There is no info on how much a pipe can contain. Even in ventilation overlay, you can only see what it contains, not the maximum.

Thank you infos nonetheless.

Do anyone know if two gas pumps in a single pipe can cause damage if they are not pumping the same gas (Mixed atmosphere) ? Or do they wait until they pump the same gas then adds togetther ? I can see two pumps in mixed atmosphere running weirdly and not at maximum capacity. But at 100% efficiency in atmosphere containing only one gas.

I think he meant the pump building info

gas pipes only get damaged when the gas gets cold enough to turn liquid.  If there are 2 different gases from 2 different pipes it will simply alternate between the gases as they come together

21 hours ago, Master Miner said:

Ores / stuff other than slime and algae can also be contaminated and bring in contamination into the base. Especially if used around farms and food. Water bottles are especially dangerous if they get emptied in a fresh water container.

Simple, manual decontamination chamber and scrubbers.
Chlorine pressure is a bit higher than oxygen pressure above.
Compartment at the bottom: CO2 that accumulates over time has to be drained out manually.

image.thumb.png.1bada5a09da838d658aeeaa6ac4b9154.png

Most players don't use ore scrubbers as they only remove a limited amount of germs and destroy chlorine gas which can be finite if your map doesn't have a geyser.  Using a conveyor rail to move germ ore in and out of a sealed chlorine room works better

Archived