Co2 lock

Dont remember reading about it, but here is Co2 lock.
image.thumb.png.97ba6944a29766f5d272d693e5d37945.png

Very efficient in bases stress-wise and doesnt break unless overpressurized.

And easy to build too - just build that structure in place you want to seal gases off and let dupes "breath out" the airlock

Sadly doesn't work. It used to work back in the day but try putting vacuum on one side and see what happens. These CO2 locks, or the reverse H2 locks, was what most people used before Klei changed the gas dynamics to the current state.

it somehow worked on my hydrogen chamber, i used waterlock first but it froze and decided to destroy some gas of hydrogen so that CO2 can enter that little pocket, i dont know if itll work in the long run though

8 hours ago, vovik said:

And easy to build too - just build that structure in place you want to seal gases off and let dupes "breath out" the airlock

easy to build in debug mode perhaps, how do you maintain pressure while you fill it with CO2?  If the balance is off at all the CO2 will spill out

Co2 spills out from side you want o2 to be, and yep, maintaining pressure of o2 is another reason for it to exist, but if you dont maintain it from o2 side - then prob colony is dead, from chlorine side - siply build a vent, it will not go up more than to 2 kg, and in just in case - co2 tends not to go up if there is lighter gas above it.

1 hour ago, Neotuck said:

easy to build in debug mode perhaps, how do you maintain pressure while you fill it with CO2?  If the balance is off at all the CO2 will spill out

Also, its not a liquid lock - its purely for stress - oriented gas lock and cannormally exist only when your dupes can too.

Any overflow co2 from o2 side will just float around and wander off without combining if not overpressurized much. I did not test it on high pressure, so i can`t actually say, if it breaks from high pressure.

On 02.03.2018 at 9:25 PM, Saturnus said:

Sadly doesn't work. It used to work back in the day but try putting vacuum on one side and see what happens. These CO2 locks, or the reverse H2 locks, was what most people used before Klei changed the gas dynamics to the current state.

It works when only wnhen there is no vacuum, and oriented mostly against stress from "sopping wet"

One other downside is that you can't lock out Slimelung since it can spread through the CO2 into your base. So the only real use I see in it is blocking off Hydrogen and Chlorine from entering your base if you want to dig in the caustic biome.

I am finally starting to carve out my sleet Farm. I was thinking about a co2 lock between base oxygen at 20°C and farm oxygen at 0°C.

Since both are same element and kept by automation at the same pressure I thought this might be viable. And co2 is a good insulator too. But most important dupes need no passing through water lock or complicated automation. 

What are your thoughts?

Edit: just to be clear, my airlock don't looks like the one on top. Just Like a "classic" water lock just with co2 at the bottom. This proofed to be more stable to pressure and temp difference

On 3/2/2018 at 12:25 PM, Saturnus said:

yeah, I've had some success making h2 lock still work under a moderate pressure gradient, but not an extreme one for a while now. Some of the H2 will leak out, so you have to use automation to pump it back in once in a while. And because of this you have to make the gaslock chamber a few tiles larger.

I personally love CO2 locks.  I use them at all my exits and to separate gases.  If you put them at the bottom of the room and make the walls on the side 1 higher, you should have minimal leakage. 

I like using... uh.. "pressure locks".  this works from whatever point in the game you can maintain a stable atmosphere.  Thanks to slow, planned expansion and early research in airlocks, I can usually maintain something like this for even my first farming areas so that I conserve oxygen for living spaces.  The larder and mush farm(the red blocks on the right) were recently merged to give me a little more room, but they started out as two separate 'pools'.  The storage(bottom left) was a little more difficult since I'm using chlorine and have no geyser.  To supplement the times when the chlorine pressure was low I filled the bottom with high pressure CO2 to keep the oxygen out.20180304214316_1.thumb.jpg.07e8fc94fde54ac785dcc10874008655.jpg

Archived