Automation Pump

6 minutes ago, The Plum Gate said:

I'm going to just say use a pressure plate as a bottom tile... set it for some value weight of water high ( maybe 500kg or so ), it will cut off the pump when the water tank gets below the pressure threshold.

Unfortunately, that's not what OP asked for. OP wants a specific amount of liquid to be pumped out, determined by the volume between the two sensors shown. Just one sensor at the bottom will stop the pump, but the system needs the logic to make sure it stays off until the waterline reaches the upper sensor.

7 minutes ago, The Plum Gate said:

I'm going to just say use a pressure plate as a bottom tile... set it for some value weight of water high ( maybe 500kg or so ), it will cut off the pump when the water tank gets below the pressure threshold.

Weight plates are not triggered by liquids

image.thumb.png.0d80d3d5e259cc4e04363981e4c76faf.png

:shock:

Well, I'm glad I didnt try that then, lol.

As for the OP, Hello Lacy on youtube had a nice video tutorial on the SR latch covering gasses and the same logic can be used for liquids. But the OP doesn't appear to speak English? 

I agree, the SR latch is the solution to the problem.

I have a tendency to use the pressure mechanics differently, ..

He wants to pump a specific amount - this indicates a time element despite the example, it may be applied to many machines. Using a clock sensor to trigger a buffer gate will give him a definite power on time.

Therefore, the lower sensor can be used as an OR input, and a clock sensor can be used in conjinction with a buffer gate as the other OR to turn the pump on for a definite amount of time.

If the upper sensor is an interrupt - and needs to override, multiple OR gates might suffice. This would prevent overflow and fulfill needs to turn off the pump.

This is just an alternative - for specifically pumping a metered amount of fluid. Other logic could divert unwanted mass elsewhere.

4 minutes ago, Arash70 said:

Wouldn't XOR give you what you want?

XOR:

True True -> False

True False -> True

False True -> True

False False -> False

No; note that the upper sensor is going to switch states almost immediately after the pump starts, but this should NOT affect the state of the pump until the bottom sensor also flips. Just an XOR is guaranteed to toggle the output if either input toggles.

4 hours ago, Saturnus said:

@NeotuckLearn to use the tool that is an SR latch and it can do so much more...

I erroneously posted the AND OR latch a long time ago when automation preview first came out but a lot people started using them as substitutes for SR latches

Please don't confuse people if you don't understand it yourself. The AND-OR latch _is_ an SR latch, that's why it's in the wikipedia page in a section on SR latches, under the name "SR AND-OR latch". Moreover, as stated there, it's also the simplest one, both to understand and to implement (in ONI, at least, even without the tricks of saving the OR and NOT gates).

What Neotuck posted is the simplest solution that usually does the job. The top input of the AND gate with the loop is S, the set condition, so set the top sensor to the condition that should start the operation. The other AND input is not-R, the negated reset condition, so set the other sensor to the _opposite_ of the condition that should stop the operation (saves a NOT gate that otherwise would be needed there). And unless the signal from the top sensor is also needed elsewhere, the back connection can be done simply by joining the wires, as done in the example (otherwise the OR gate is needed to stop back-propagating the output signal). Done.

And, as a curiosity, just yesterday I watched Hello Lacy's stream for a while right at the moment when she struggled to re-create the complex NOR SR latch, despite having done the mentioned explanatory video on it. The KISS approach (Keep It Simple, Stupid) has its advantages. If you look at the non-compact schema Neotuck posted, it's rather obvious how it works: The top signal sets the signal output and also keeps itself active in a feedback loop. The bottom signal breaks the loop and so it resets the output. As simple as that. No need to build the NOR/NAND monsters.

5 hours ago, Neotuck said:

(SR latch)

I just tired this and the pump remands on even when both switches are off

That's because it's an SR latch. S = Set, R = Reset. S sets it on, R sets it off. When neither set nor reset is activated, it does nothing (=it keeps the state).

Archived