Goal: a challenging biome with a reward for conquering(clean efficient energy)

Primary resources:

Consumable ore: Uranium

Notes: Is radioactive, gives off light, radiation can leak through some tiles(eg sand, dirt and other less dense materials) is completely blocked by abysalite and lead(both ore and metal tiles) affected dupes can recover faster in med beds, used for power production, 

Metal: Lead ore(proper name?), Mercury

Notes: Lead and mercury cannot be used for power systems but metal tiles made of lead block radiation, lead can be used for atmosuits, that provide radiation immunity.

primary liquid: Mercury

Notes: Liquid at room temperature, extended contact with mercury leads to mercury poisoning, must be cured at med bay.

Mineral: Basalt

Notes: Is very firm(requires miner)

Atmosphere: Helium

Notes: Is a noble gas, non-flammable, lighter than all gasses besides hydrogen. essentially a waste product from uranium decay/fission

Flora: Metalituna

Notes: requires oil irrigation, helium atmosphere and lead fertiliser, drops 25 kg of gold on harvest, lower seed chance

Fauna: Neutral rodent(name???)

Notes: absorbs radiation and  outputs lead, will fight to the death of either party(TMNT reference hehe)

(further ideas appreciated and may be integrated into main post)

Buildings:

Airlocks made of lead block radiation

Radiation sensor, activates at a certain level of radiation

Centrifuge: Enriches Uranium into enriched Uranium rods, used to Nuclear power plant, requires water, outputs heated Pwater, takes some time

Nuclear power plant: large wattage provided fuelled by Enriched Uranium one rod powers for 20 cycles, requires coolant,  output products, mishandling coolant(imputing hot/inefficient coolant) leads to meltdown(destroys in a medium radius  and irradiates in a  large radius)

Mechanics:

Radiation: Radioactive objects give off light along with radiation/second in a radius around it, can cause certain other tiles/objects(e.g. metals except lead) to be temporarily radioactive. sickness works similar to germs in an exposed duplication, in terms of amount accumulated/lost per second, but instead of directly lowering immune system, causing sickness directly after threshold is reached, and gets worse as subsequent thresholds are reached, eventually causing death at high radiation and making the duplicant give off the effects of a radioactive tile/object.(think fallout series radiation sickness)

Mercury poising causes negative stats and eventual death if left untreated.

feel free to add your imput, may be added to main post if it fits well enough

This could be simplified by not giving uranium special properties beyond a poison disk radial damage effect of 0.01 /s with 1 cell in all directions.  Then create a generator that just deletes uranium at a set rate, and creates helium and lead(or even better iron and hydrogen::only better because currently implemented and usable::)

The total energy released from uranium-238 to lead-206, including the energy lost to neutrinos, is 51.7 MeV.
Most terrestrial helium present today is created by the natural radioactive decay of heavy radioactive elements (thorium and uranium, although there are other examples), as the alpha particles emitted by such decays consist of helium-4 nuclei.
Numbers might need ajusting and its admittedly a bit of a shortcut overall its mass accurate but I would wager a large amount of the energy released is as hellium directly and therefore cutting this value down and replacing the decay with hydrogen would result in a power->power value :)

Uranium ore undergoes natural radioactive decay - produces some heat and radiation. If a block of uranium ore (weight 5,000 kg, not pure uranium) is completely surrounded by uranium ore it will heat significantly, produce moderate radiation and half-decay to lead ore within 1000 cycles.

There is enough uranium ore generated to have fuel for one reactor for 20,000 cycles or more, but the preparation is somewhat complicated and costly.

Storing more than 10t of mined uranium ore in one container produces heat and radiation same as for generated ore above.

Uranium needs to be enriched before it is used in a nuclear power plant, this happens in "Uranium centrifuges": resources are uranium ore and water (and electrical power), product is liquid nuclear fuel, lead and polluted water (and some heat) (and washing machine sound :) ).

The ratio of lead in the ore could depend on the decay.

Liquid nuclear fuel needs lead pipes to shield off radiation. If there is too much nuclear fuel in one place (like more than 100 kg/square) the uncontrolled chain reaction starts and produces intense heat, radiation, steam (radioactive?), hydrogen and nuclear waste.

Nuclear reactor consumes the fuel and produces heat and used up fuel. Automation input: ON = burn (15s from zero to full power), OFF = stop burning (15s from full power to zero).

The heat is used to boil the water and heat the steam on the top of the reactor which is similar to 4 metal tiles, the steam is then used by the steam turbine(s) to produce electricity. One reactor is enough to produce steam for 2.5 steam turbines.

The heat can also be otherwise used, e.g. to turn crude oil into natural gas, bake dirt into sand or clay into ceramic etc.

The used up fuel can be refined to give lead and "nuclear waste" - which has to be stored and sealed and which produces some amount of heat and radiation for a very long time (like 3000 cycles) and gradually turns into intermediate product (perhaps again used up fuel) which can be processed (refined) again.

Radiation sickness is either moderate - loss of stamina and vomiting for few cycles, and can be cured, but gets worse (severe) if not cured.
Severe radiation sickness - all of the above for few cycles, then improvement ("walking dead") for few cycles and then - tasteful memorial.

Automation: Radiation sensor, perhaps in MBq (Mega-Becquerel = 1,000,000 radioactivity events per second)

In the game, perhaps decay of 1g of radioactive material per second would give radiation of 1 MBq.

Perhaps there are students or professionals among us who can provide a formula how exposure to radiation source of 1 MBq at a distance "D" gives the equivalent dose in Sievert (Sv).

Exposure to 0,1 Sv per cycle gives 50% probability of moderate radiation sickness, exposure accumulates for 100 cycles. (Simple formula: Exposure = Exposure * 0.99 + Exposure.today)
Becomes_radiation_sick = Random(10 * Exposure) > 0.5
1 Sv per cycle gives 50% probability of severe radiation sickness.
Becomes_severely_radiation_sick = Random(Exposure) > 0.5
(Calculated at the end of each day.)

A radiation sensor would come in handy, I suppose. A new radiation overlay would be needed, showing both gamma radiation and neutron fluxes. Uranium blocks would produce nautrons naturally and because of fission, thanks to the neutrons. Mercury, water, steam and lead could absorb neutrons. All that together would make interesting opportunities to build and test out different reactors. I would love it.

Just a late night thought...

While I like the idea of a challenging biome.

I would love to see a nuclear reactor with fuel processing and waste storage. Leaky lacy dupes making Homer Simpson errors and melting down the reactor.

BUT

The whole radiation sickness thing, just gives me images of Chernobyl victims flashing over my retina... And I really don't want that in the game. I think I would have that every time I played the game, and one of the dupes got radiation sicknes. It is a horrible horrible thing in real life and should be treated with great care if added to the game.

9 hours ago, Mjello said:

BUT The whole radiation sickness thing

I think it would be not only challenging but also educative.

Nobody likes radiation sickness so that would be an incentive to handle radioactive stuff with care.

Though, I guess the whole cancer thing (like occurring 100s of cycles after exposure) can be omitted in ONI,

Radiation Is so easy to implement in germ overlay... just make radiation germs deadly to other germs and give them other properties of radiation - dissapear in matter and multiply in uranium..

Germ system is overall good system to implementenviromental hazards - chlorine burn germs(some chlorine-dwelling germ), radiation germs that feed on radioactivity exposure... etc. 

Would you, people, PLEASE turn on debug mode to peek on what resources are planned to arrive in standart game? Radiation is planned, radium is present, steam turbine is already inside, explotions are ingame in test mode - NUCLEAR UPGRADE IS INCLUDED.

1 hour ago, vovik said:

Would you, people, PLEASE turn on debug mode to peek on what resources are planned to arrive in standart game? Radiation is planned, radium is present, steam turbine is already inside, explotions are ingame in test mode - NUCLEAR UPGRADE IS INCLUDED.

I looked through the(updated) thread that contains all the things in debug mode, did not see any of that

Here's an early attempt at nuclear power plant design.

NR1.1_02_a.thumb.png.a9eac334d907318e0116258bb5b915da.png

1. Nuclear reactor, uses liquid nuclear fuel, outputs used up fuel and heats the upper 4 tiles
2. Water boiling plate
3. Steam heater
4. Hot steam tank / turbine input
5. Cold steam tank / turbine output
6. Condenser
7. Water flow regulator
8. Boiling plate sweeper
9. Conveyor loader for dirt
10. Condensed water tank
11. Recycler output sorter (lead and nuclear waste)
12. Recycler for used-up fuel (outputs nuclear waste, lead(?) and polluted water)
13. Used up fuel tank
14. Liquid nuclear fuel tank
15. Centrifuge (input is uranium ore and water, output is liquid nuclear fuel and lead)
16. Conveyor loader for lead
17. Supply and temporary storage for uranium ore
18. Nuclear waste deposit - slowly produces lead as result of radioactive decay
19. Warm water tank
20. Outer containment cooling / temperature stabilization
21. Outer containment, radiation shield

There are several problems with this design
- the steam turbine is quite hungry, a relatively high steam throughput is needed
- it would be better to add controlled preheating of input water
- polluted water boiling is problematic, because if the boiling plate is too hot then sand will form and block it. It is better to boil polluted water in a separate stage / not directly on the reactor ... perhaps on a boiling plate that extends from the reactor, so that it is held at cca. 135°C, while the target reactor temperature can be somewhere in range 255°C-270°C
- collected dirt is hot and will overheat the conveyor loader (9.) - cooling with condensed water might be sufficient
- cold steam (5.) removal is possibly too slow, pressure at the turbine output can rise to too high levels

14 hours ago, tHe_silent_H said:

I looked through the(updated) thread that contains all the things in debug mode, did not see any of that

in debug mode you find radium, also there is an explosion test. You will not find sprites in debug mode - only by viewing source code after decompiling. There are many named sprites that are not in game. Game is written on unity if you wish to decompile.

Archived