Farming: Lamp weirdness

Ground lamps are weird to work with.  The light emits from the top tile at a radius (about) of 4.  However, that means that the effective radius is 3 unless you sink them in to the floor one tile.  It looks weird.  Would it be possible to make the lamp emit light at a distance of 4 from both the top and the bottom?  I doubt it will make them all that much more powerful and it would make my farm look a lot nicer.   Alternatively, you could make things sensitive to light, like dupes and brissle blossoms, benefit from light on the top tile.

A600CFE914BBFF9693A7F15657D3913DC21EECEB

@Kabrute I think I prefer my system. 

My system requires less power for the lighting than that, as you need 1 ceiling lamp per 15 bristle blossoms, mine requires 1 floor lamp per 8 plants.  Ceiling lamps take twice the power, though they produce the same heat.  The heat is dealt with by only using cool water.

My farming station is more centralized, allowing my farmers to not walk as far to fertilize most of the plants. 

Plus my scheme is denser.  I have 8 plants per 30 tiles (including the floor). You have 15 bristle blossoms and 6 mealwood in 93 tiles (just interior).  Even if those plants were equal you have 0.2258 plants per tile, whereas mine has 0.2667 plants per tile.  And those mealwood are inferior to the bristle blossoms.  Leaving out the mealwood, it is 0.1613 bristle blossoms per tile on your scheme.
I also get to use hydroponic tiles.  It adds an extra power cost from the pump, but my dupes don't need to deliver water, which is a major time saver.

Why can you feed yours directly with geyser water?  As I understand, planter boxes store the water (which can heat the environment) and serve it to the plant slowly.  They take 60 kg of water at a time, which is 12 times more than a hydroponic tile.  If your liquid pipes are made of abysallite, I wouldn't think the water in the pipes would be an issue.  I wouldn't think the planter boxes would be worth it. 

Also, couldn't you pump geyser water in to a small pool and cool it too temperature with an aquatuner?  I think that would take less dupe time, even if they were using hamster wheels.  You could cool the aquatuner with polluted water on the way to a fertilizer maker.  Not very expensive to set up. 

hydro tiles take up a cell and once up to temp affect the temp directly while planter boxes have a bit more indirect impact, and their contents even less so, in addition we are transfering temps via metal on hydros vs dirt conductance on planters

I think it's actually water to air transference.  I put molten metal in a metal refinery in a vacuum and the metal refinery didn't break.  I even used the refinery and it was fine.  So I think that the contents don't appear to directly effect the building.  The hydroponic tiles are different because they are tiles.

How much time do your dupes spend delivering water?  Because you don't usually have a geyser that close to the base, and you certainly don't want it too close to the farm.  Are you sure it is actually worth reducing the energy costs having that much water delivery?  Energy is easy normally. 

11 hours ago, Zarquan said:

Ground lamps are weird to work with.  The light emits from the top tile at a radius (about) of 4.  However, that means that the effective radius is 3 unless you sink them in to the floor one tile.  It looks weird.  Would it be possible to make the lamp emit light at a distance of 4 from both the top and the bottom?  I doubt it will make them all that much more powerful and it would make my farm look a lot nicer.   Alternatively, you could make things sensitive to light, like dupes and brissle blossoms, benefit from light on the top tile.

I think it would suffice if plants considered themselves in light if any of their tiles is in light, not just the bottom tile. It would allow some optimizations for both types of lamp.

By the way, you can fit up to 18 plants within one ceiling light's reach (if you excuse my crude graphical patchwork, I don't have access to the game right now):

7xfWw9q.png

.. and if you use hydroponics tiles for the bottom plants, duplicants can even step up to the ledge.

2 hours ago, Kabrute said:

hydro tiles take up a cell and once up to temp affect the temp directly while planter boxes have a bit more indirect impact, and their contents even less so, in addition we are transfering temps via metal on hydros vs dirt conductance on planters

The tooltip for thermal transfer suggest it uses the lowest thermal transfer of whatever it is interacting with - so if you really want to know what the planter box is doing with hot water - maybe build one out of dirt and one out of clay - could be done with farm tile.

All I know is that my hydroponic tiles become exceedingly hot when I pipe hot water to them.

3 hours ago, Kabrute said:

Mhh, my hydrotiles take very quick, the liquid input temperature, every pipe is isolated aba.

About the printing pod, I usually get two left three right, farm tiles after that gets researched. Meanwhile I make barracks out of it. The early very early game decor value of bristle blossoms is very useful if you're willing to part with some energy and water.

I trapped a light bug in a pneumatic door - they seem to have the best free coverage - 8 ....or was it 9 tiles? This could be navigagavle with some teired planting to 11 along the bottom probably 6 more spots depending on door orientation.

A bit of effort for a trapped bug that might despawn randomly though...

7 hours ago, Kasuha said:

I think it would suffice if plants considered themselves in light if any of their tiles is in light, not just the bottom tile. It would allow some optimizations for both types of lamp.

By the way, you can fit up to 18 plants within one ceiling light's reach (if you excuse my crude graphical patchwork, I don't have access to the game right now):

7xfWw9q.png

.. and if you use hydroponics tiles for the bottom plants, duplicants can even step up to the ledge.

So this is more power efficient, but mine is still denser and more centralized, leading to more plants being boosted (assuming you can get your farmers to work on that).  Plus my setup is easily stackable.  I can easily expand mine up or down without having to worry about fitting it in or wasted space.

Your image is fully functional.  I can clearly see how your setup works. 

I think it is extremely strange that feeding a plant hot water doesn't make the plant overheat.  My feeling is that it is a bit of an exploit in the game.  There should be heat transference between the consumer and the consumed.  Specifically, when it is consumed by the plant, it should even out the temperature between the consumed water and the plant.  That way, the water would have to be cool to be used.

8 hours ago, Kabrute said:

How did you get molten metal in a pipe? o.o

I used magma to melt some gold, then I build a wolframite pump in it.  The pump was overheating, but I didn't care.  I only needed it to run for about few seconds for my purpose.  I could always deconstruct the pump and build it back anyway.  I stored it all in a vacuum (by crushing the gas used to melt the gold with doors) so the dupes wouldn't get hot while building.  The pipe was insulated abyssalite, but some sections were tungsten, as tungsten transfers heat well and won't melt at 3000C.  After I do that, I can melt as much of any metal as I want except for wolframite.  It is part of a scheme I have to boil natural gas.  I run the metal in the boiler as the heat source.  As a test, I ran the metal refinery to make iron with the gold as a "coolant" and the gold shot up about 1000 degrees.  I liked the scheme, but it wasn't sustainable due to the limited amount of raw metal on the map.  It was a bit finicky and occasionally the gold would freeze out if you didn't set it up perfectly.

It is also a bit exploity, but if they didn't want us reaching high temperatures, they shouldn't have put so many interesting physical interactions involving heat in the game.

Anyway, regardless of whether ceiling lamps are better or worse than floor lamps in farms, I feel floor lamps should be altered to work more sensibly.  Currently, they illuminate 3 tiles if placed normally and 4 tiles if placed sunken in to the ground.  I think everyone here can agree that it would either be better to make it so that the bottom tile emitted light too OR make it so that things that the top tile of a bristle blossom being lit counts as the plant being illuminated.

40 minutes ago, Kasuha said:

If you're into dense arrangements, you might like this:

That is beautifully arranged.  I would certainly use that in a standalone farm (adding a farm station of course).

However, I like mine because it is stackable too.  I can keep putting more and more of my structures vertically in without decreasing the tile efficiency.  I don't think yours can do that too easily.  It fits nicely in a grid format.  It works well with my play style.

Archived