Public servers, players give up and reset after deerclops

So many times I see this, a pretty elaborate base, players don’t know how to handle deerclops and it gets destroyed so they restart with a new world.   It takes only 2-3 days with a team to rebuild a base but 30 days to recreate it from scratch, doesn’t make sense to me.   Also what makes the game fun is some hardship...

Just now, Mencken said:

So many times I see this, a pretty elaborate base, players don’t know how to handle deerclops and it gets destroyed so they restart with a new world.   It takes only 2-3 days with a team to rebuild a base but 30 days to recreate it from scratch, doesn’t make sense to me.   Also what makes the game fun is some hardship...

try to get together with some people on steam, discord, fb, etc for a group to play with... randoms in public servers can be nasty and unwilling to work together.

You want to keep a pub (random dedicated server) alive for an in-game year or so? Yet normies/casuals blunder at Deerclops, base gets trashed and they die-and-reset (Survival variety, obviously if you die as well) or just vote for world regen (Endless)? Hmm. From my experience (most likely too many hours in pubs), bulk of casuals doesn't even last till first winter; and the 1 or 2 that do but die via Deer (why haven't you told them by day 30 to get out of camp?) cannot pass a vote if you give the "no" (2 vs 1 ends in voting cancellation). Get at least 1 more play-buddy of your similar game level of knowledge on your runs for reaching said "at least 1 full in-game year" goal (if that is what you desire): just add on Steam people with whom you "zen" so-to-say, aka had good general runs. Or limit yourself to speed-runs (test your proverbial mittens for lower and lower times) on said pubs, runs that depend solely on your performance (DF, Queen Bee, Ruins etc).

It’s just luck, but maybe try SUP Public, which doesn’t allow reset votes, I believe. It resets only if everyone dies and at least one of the ghosts stays on for a regen. I recently participated in a 200+-day run there, although there was most definitely one biggish base where they were too inexperienced to get out of their base for deerclops. I’d go away and come back a half a day later to find newbs had trashed part of my base by being there during an antlion attack or that they’d left a bearger wandering around in the world, but that kind of added to the challenge.

At any rate, you can’t really complain to them here because I’m 100% sure players like that are not reading the forums.

Sup public, ok.   Been on private servers but they abruptly close, I’ll try that one.  I have a lot of experience (made a few solo 2000 day bases) so I enjoy playing with new players now.   All experienced is boring, ruins cleared in 20 days etc.

Even if you go on a no reset vote server, people will just intentionally kill themselves to restart. I extremely suggest finding a steam group, it improved my experience a ton. I would recommend the steam group How To Survive. I would also recommend joining the discord.

2 hours ago, Tylordian said:

Even if you go on a no reset vote server, people will just intentionally kill themselves to restart. I extremely suggest finding a steam group, it improved my experience a ton. I would recommend the steam group How To Survive. I would also recommend joining the discord.

If they can’t vote to restart the world, most of the casual players are not willing to die and then wait around for the world to reset. Or they don’t understand it as an option. As I mentioned, I was in and out of one that lasted over 200 days and plenty of people died on it. . But you’re just never going to have a long run on a public server because why should you? Someone who joins a server on day 100 has no way of knowing if the people who got it that far ever plan to come back. Why should they scrounge around for flint and gold on the off chance you might come back some day and be made that you base is gone?

The other day I saw one of klei officials going on around day 700, I have no idea how did that happen but that was awesome,I wish most servers lasted like that.

Overall the above suggestions are good but sometimes even advanced players from said groups don't cooperate, they get on rushes "just because", like  ruins clearing in 10 days and then just leave the server, or killing bee queen and dfly and then also leaving, which is sort of pointless and frustrating too if you are interested in a nice long gameplay.

Some of the best games I had happened when I found people that were interested to pretty much do things collectively, and kept coming back to the server to keep the project if they had left at some point. I'd suggest to slowly make/add friends as you selectively find these people in pubs or groups every once and then, and try to play with them when possible. Usually you will find that even if they didnt know each other they will get along in playstyle as well.

Even with this in mind I still struggle with OP's concern anyway since people often switches games, or times they play at so its hard to keep stable parties over time.

47 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

The other day I saw one of klei officials going on around day 700, I have no idea how did that happen but that was awesome,I wish most servers lasted like that.

It's because during the whole time the server is populated by players who enjoy rolling back as soon as something happens that they didn't plan for. That's not really fun..

Archived