Nervous about the next upgrade. Is that normal?

Im both excited and nervous about the next upgrade for ONI coming in 2 weeks. Mostly because when I first was watching Lets Plays for this game, it was by the devs when this game was first announced and very, VERY vanilla. Since then this game has become so much more and very complex in nature. Everything has a pro but at least 2 cons that you need other systems to work with in order to get them to function accordingly, with little being all pro. I got the game around a little before christmas time so a couple of days after the Automation Upgrade had already been implemented and I was quite overwhelmed with what I had. Ive gotten the hang of SOME things, but there is still quite a lot I cant wrap my head around. And since I play in the regular game, and dont have the debug mode, I cant test anything out or play around with anything. I just have to wait until Im able to unlock it and try it out (in which case Im less likely to do because resources are scarce and precious for a newbie when playing regularly). So Im just wondering, is this typical? Is it normal to be both nervous and excited about the next upgrade and what it may bring for this game? Or am I just the odd man out. Maybe Im just thinking too much about it because the game feels like a lot to take in if you come in in the middle of it, like the right now and have to take all of it in at once, rather than having come in earlier when it was still small and being fed everything bit by bit. It does have a bit of a steep learning curve.

I agree with @Kabrute - I am eagerly awaiting the next update!

The nature of this type of game is to be complex with a steep learning curve and for many people that is part of the attraction.

I really think if you are enjoying playing the game and enjoying figuring things out, you will continue to have fun with each new update regardless of whether you are ready to jump straight into the new content or not.

With the exception of the outbreak upgrade, you don't even really need to touch the rest of the game new things. The automation is useful but not required to use, and the tubes are great for transporting people but, also not needed. I didn't even start a new colony using the tube update till a week after the official cube challenge for it was released. After dying rather quickly deciding not to play the challenge, I started a new colony and so far haven't needed the automation parts that much, if at all. The germ feature is a slight learning curve for new players but after some practice it becomes less of a challenge and more tedious really.

I bought the game a few days before the automation upgrade and i am eagerly awaiting the next update.

I just love how the game gets new systems to interact with.

And improvements of existing systems ofc. My main points of anticipation are:

• improvement of farming (more plants)
  • improvement of husbandry (reproducing animals, animal needs, more animals)
  • a proper chlorine sink
  • something nobody expects (like the tubes)

8 hours ago, Izzy248 said:

pro but at least 2 cons

That's exactly why I like this game. I hope there's more complex systems to balance in the next upgrade. As it stands it's pretty easy to get self sustaining even on the hardest difficulty very quickly.  After that there's some fun exploring, tweaking systems, modding/mapping.  However, just not enough content yet :)

@Izzy248 Your issue probably is that you play the game in early access. If you do that you will have to deal with missing knowledge, confusing game mechanics and strange quirks about the game that have to be ironed out before the release. You will also fall behind in knowledge if you don't play the game frequently enough because content gets pushed out fairly quickly.

Missing Knowledge: Few guides, no complete wiki, small community

Confusing game mechanics: as long as the balance of the game isn't perfect, frequent changes have to be expected ... and of course tons of new stuff to experience. You also have to expect game mechanics that simply don't make any sense yet (like showers what are they even doing?!)

Strange quirks: Bugs and exploits have to be expected in early access. For instance infinite gas pressure storage due to non-mixing gases. Or overly complicated builds just to control power production (measuring the temperature of a battery to determine if it is full or empty to de/activate the generators).

To enjoy early access you have to like those edges about an unfinished game. You have to adapt, experiment and have a high frustration level. If you like the core game idea of fiddling around with production lines but can't stand those frequent changes to the game, I would recommend you to stop playing in early access and wait until the game releases. It will be much more stable, self explanatory and balanced.

Somewhat OT, thus spoilered.

I myself had to experience this while playing the Shipwrecked early access for Don't Starve. I played it and was done with the game pretty quickly because Reign of Giants was just that much more fun to play. I left the game in the beginning phases of the early access with mixed feelings about the DLC only to recently rediscover it when the latest patch was released. And oh my god, the game has changed! In retrospect I regret my decision to play in early access and get that wrong image of the game.

Archived