Animals that are farmable

I'm sure they have plans to put in more animals but I'd really enjoy a "cow-like" animal that can be farmed. Breed them, gain milk/food from them, slaughter them for food, produce feed for them, clean up after them. Creating an industrial farming systems would be amazing!

How about this:

A hatch which is suffencial fed build a nest and start laying eggs. The hatch does not bury itself anymore and defend its nest. The dupes can steal eggs from this nest. Either killing the hatch or baiting it with food.

The eggs in the nest will hatch in like 5 days. Mini-hatches spawn which mature in another 5 days.

The eggs can incubated or cooked.

On 12/27/2017 at 2:21 AM, AileTheAlien said:

Maybe just have hatches randomly drop eggs instead of coal every once in a while?

no don't change my sweet little hatches! coal is much more beneficial for the colony anyway, maybe a new animal with those traits would be nice :v

8 hours ago, Wolfcream23 said:

no don't change my sweet little hatches!

I would like the idea of random 0.5% egg drop chance and when temp is optimal for hatch, you can get it to 1%.
At the moment, there is no chance to get more/replace dead ones.

6 minutes ago, Oozinator said:

there is no chance to get more/replace dead ones.

ah yes, i forgot about that. Actually now that i think about it, it actually makes sense for creatures to be able to reproduce. but instead of just 'dropping' their eggs at random places, it would be nice if there are some unique behaviors when reproducing that is unique to each species.

for instance Morbs could reproduce through fragmentation (splitting into two), while Puffts could lay eggs after mating, and for Hatches i actually like @Zholvar's idea.

I'd rather see them breed when the environment has enough food for long enough time while in a habitat that looks natural enough.

Say, a hatch that is allowed to eat and burrow each cycle for 10 cycles lays an egg, puft that spends 5 mostly-continuous cycles in 2kg+/tile of polluted oxygen and has at least 10x10 free space (multiplied by number of nearby pufts) splits into two, slickster that consumes at least 100kg CO2 in last 10 cycles finds nearby deep oil tile and sinks to the bottom to turn into a "slickster coral form" that will later release 3 new slicksters.

This would be self-limiting and moderately challenging to utilize well, while not requiring high tech stuff like old plant farming did (that 4C temperature range was unachievable without full tech tree).

On 12/2/2017 at 7:35 PM, bzgzd said:

Category 0: bio/organic (almost natural environment, no slimelung and constant supply of warm germ free PO2 to keep pressure close to 2kg and optimal temperature)

Hide contents

MODE0PA.png

when you said "habitat that looks natural" it reminded me of @bzgzd's organic habitat, which looks awesome btw.

I second the reproduction suggestion for animals.

At the current state of the game there seems to be no renewable source of meat, leaving all recipes that require meat rather useless on the long run.

Also the natural output of each creature is rather precious to a colony (CO2 sink, toxic gas sink, coal source, oil source), which greates further incitement of not using any meal recipes.

However the current way of treating creatures is rather simple: store them in a room and fill it with resource X (CO2, PO2, fertilizer, ...). Apart from minor requirements on the temperature which tend to have LETHAL results if not being considered (while at the same time not being sufficiently documented), this is about all you need to take care of.

This makes creatures alot more easy to handle than PLANTS. Which are - if you disregard Mealwood, a rather big Pain in the Butt.

Creating "mating/reproduction" needs for animals would allow us to solve several problems:

• renewable meat
  • correction of unintentionally killed animals (hatches touched by liquid, slicksters cooled below 35°, etc.)
  • some kind of interface that reflects the needs and requirements of creatures to live and prosper (pressure, atmosphere (multiple gases might be required for some), temperature (also document lethal temperature), reachable watersource, reachable plants, etc)
  • more creativity when constructing creature farms

Additionally there should be a way to clone eggs with a high tech aparatus to allow people to get out of a deadend when they have killed all creatures of any kind on their map.

3 hours ago, blash365 said:

requirements on the temperature which tend to have LETHAL results if not being considered (while at the same time not being sufficiently documented), this is about all you need to take care of.

At one point, creatures had temperature tolerances in the statblock. Not sure why did it go away.

Maybe have a farmable animal that eats meal lice? Right now it's pretty easy to set up a large mealwood farm with little trouble. The farmable animals could make for a decent way to convert meal lice into meat (or eggs or milk). Just set up a bunch of farm tiles to grow a surplus of mealwood (and maybe some other plants for variety), and then maybe build some feeding bowls which you stock with food for the animals.

Perhaps the animals generally start reproducing when they have access to farmable food like meal lice, bristle berries, etc. So you can start off by growing lots of mealwood, and once your duplicants no longer enjoy eating that kind of food you can feed the meal lice to animals to gradually convert into meat which they enjoy more.

So farmable animals could make a decent way to convert easily farmable plants into meat, or provide an added incentive to grow more difficult plants like bristle berries. Like say... if pufts require bristle berries or something to reproduce, so that gives an incentive to grow berries aside from just making your dupes happy.

If there is an animal that produces wool, feathers, or silk that can be used in textiles, that could be like an alternative to growing thimble reeds.

So farming animals could be like an upgrade of farming plants. Once you've got enough mealwood or other plants to feed your dupes, you can switch to feeding that meal lice to the animals, letting them reproduce, and then eat the animals for better quality food.

Archived