Design for an oxygen generator meant for exploration?

Sometimes I need my duplicants to go explore, and every once in a while I need to make a small station that duplicants can use to produce oxygen.

My question is what a good design for such a station could be.

So far, I've been doing this:

image.png.9f8f56cb8b482444377858503d5c4a66.png

note: there is a dot of wire on the bottom left of the generator, but it is not connected to the algae deoxidizer/battery

When I want the duplicants to start using it, I connect the generator to the deoxidizer/battery, which can be done remotely without duplicant intervention

When I want the duplicants to stop using it, I set the generator to only be used if the battery is below 0%, which can also be done remotely.

Are there better designs out there?

Just now, GreatGameDota said:

Well first off you may want to actually connect the man gen to the battery :p

That's completely intentional.

The two can be hooked up at any point after they build it, and without duplicant intervention since they are already next to eachother

10 hours ago, sundial said:

Would that produce oxygen quickly enough?.. It would take a trip back to the base to make that work

Yes, depending on how much is "enough" for you.
From workloadside, it makes no big difference for me, when dupes have to build your stuff and have to run power wheel and bring algae, or build "my system". It's both early game concept. Exosuits are best choice.

20 hours ago, sundial said:

Would that produce oxygen quickly enough?

Enough to wheeze, not enough to breathe. It gives dupes a safe pocket to regain breath to full at lower maintenance than proper generator. It's one of the very few uses of algae terrarium that don't suck.

Archived