So Deerclops spawned on Day 3 of Winter...Is this a thing?

1 minute ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

I haven't been playing for a while, so maybe something has changed? I thought he always spawned 10 days after the first day of Winter.

depends on year. First winter he always coming in the end, but in next years it can be random

And try having random seasons!...if winter turns out to be really short that year, he might show up on the _first_ day.  And since I don't use the Season Clock/Combined Status (on purpose)...I wouldn't KNOW that there was such a little window for him to even appear in at all, and...yeah.

(Fortunately the time that did happen I was out gathering far away from my base, so it worked out.  Heh.)

...Notorious

9 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

And try having random seasons!...if winter turns out to be really short that year, he might show up on the _first_ day.  And since I don't use the Season Clock/Combined Status (on purpose)...I wouldn't KNOW that there was such a little window for him to even appear in at all, and...yeah.

(Fortunately the time that did happen I was out gathering far away from my base, so it worked out.  Heh.)

...Notorious

Random seasons are always same every year, you just need to survive first year to know how long every season lasts

1 hour ago, landromat said:

Random seasons are always same every year, you just need to survive first year to know how long every season lasts

I don't know if Captain Chaotica does, but I do use a mod that actually randomises the season leghts, every year. 

Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention--I'm also using a mod called "Actual Season Randomiser" (by our own Electroely) because of exactly that--it's always bugged me that they were only random ONCE and then stuck that way.  So yeah, for me the winters can be different lengths, and therefore different amounts of time before a giant shows up.  (shrug)

On my older (and no longer accessible) server with the 600 days +, THAT one still has the normal "random" season programming, though.  I've gotten used to there just being a super-long spring and winter every year (with fall and summer being normal).  It's like I've landed on an alien planet with a _slightly_ different orbit from Earth or something...

EDIT:  Beat me to it, Fimmatek. : P

...Notorious

Oh, and the world with the 40-day winters?  Yeah one time (more than once, actually) he appeared TWICE, and the second time I was totally unready for it.   Fortunately one time I just heard a distant roar off to the west, and I was like, "Well I just won't gather berries from that particular meadow then" and the other time, I was out picking cactus in the desert--as you do, in the dead of winter--and I heard the UBER CREEPY heavy-breathing sound...right after I'd seen some lava glow out of the corner of my eye.

...I assume the battle was epic, but I wouldn't know 'cos I got the hell out of there. : P

That's basically my whole way I deal with Deerclops/other smashy things in general...just...not be AT base when they show up.  Works better in singleplayer though, of course.  I tend to wander around gathering unpicked plants instead of turtling at base during the nastier seasons, and that's saved me more than once.  (That, and staying in one spot is BORING!)

...Notorious

Archived