The Maxwell Paradox

Forgive me for being such a noob with this character, I normally play as Wigfrid or Wickerbottom, but I just started getting into Maxwell (he became my favorite in The Forge).

But his special ability to summon shadow puppets require nightmare fuel and his innate sanity regeneration prevents him from having access to nightmare fuel.

Even when I summon 3 puppets for the lowest max sanity possible and I run around in the dark at night I literally cannot go insane.

I know you can eat blue/green mushrooms to decrease sanity, but he regenerates it back up so fast you don't have much time to get nightmare fuel. In DS you could catch a bunch of rabbits and store them indefinitely in chests and backpacks, eat some mushrooms, trip your balls off, and then murder all the beardlings. In DST you can't store rabbits for long, they will starve to death.

I could wait to hammer down pig heads until a full moon, but that is very limited amount and I usually Glommer's statue during the full moon and there's never any pig heads around that area.

What do you do to efficiently farm nightmare fuel as Maxwell?

Yeah, wormholes, greencaps, and eating raw meats will dice your sanity in no time; get to 0 with wormholes, and then use the others to keep it low while fighting shadows. Wearing a shadow sword/night armor will help later, but obviously these can't be crafted early in (or without the nightmare fuel you're trying to get)

Past that, IIRC you can stay at minimum sanity with your puppets to fight nightmares, it's just that you need to be using 2 duelists and one of the other puppets. This will leave you at 10% max sanity, as duelists have a greater sanity penalty.

40 minutes ago, HomShaBom said:

Even when I summon 3 puppets for the lowest max sanity possible and I run around in the dark at night I literally cannot go insane.

You need two of those puppets to be duelists. If not, you're definitely not doing something right. If done correctly you'll be locked in insanity for as long as you need.

Yes, as stated above you need 2 duelists and a worker to get permanently insave (well, untill your shadows die). Worker minions take 20% or your sanity, while duelists 35%. This way the 4 workers will keep you at 20% maximum sanity, but with the duelists you'll have 10% max.

Another good way of going insane with Maxwell would be using the lazy deserter. Not as effective as the duelist trick, but it's good if you just want a couple chunks of nightmare fuel instead of an entire chest full. Just channel it, tap a directional key, then repeat. Works much like the wormhole trick but much faster.

Unrelated to fuel farming, but you said you were new to using Max, so here's a couple of additional tips to help with survivability:

Try to keep a bit of healing salve on you. I can't tell you how often this has saved my life.

With at least a top hat, you can break even with the sanity drain of night armor. Although you'll still lose sanity from dusk/night and insanity auras from monsters.

wormholes help me lose my sanity or blue caps. I usually always get 3 duelists to help me kill stuff and farm nightmare creatures, also you can go to caves to farm Nightmare creatures in ruins or Nightmare fissures, also I always carry wood armor or decent armor to tank the nightmare creatures so I don't die like in 1-3 hits.

Maxwell is fun to play for me since I usually don't need to worry about sanity in caves, and I don't have to usually wear a "Scottish" hat (Tam o shanter btw) so I can wear any other hat. 

2 hours ago, fimmatek said:

Worker minions take 20% or your sanity, while duelists 35%. This way the 4 workers will keep you at 20% maximum sanity, but with the duelists you'll have 10% max.

Oh, ok, that will make it way easier. I didnt know different puppets drained different amounts. I thought all puppets were created equally. #PuppetLivesMatter

Archived