Hydroponic farming affected by water temp

I was under the impression that hydroponic farming tiles were not affected by water temp, but when I pipe geyser water into them they warm up and my crops die. I'm using abyssalite pipes.

Has this always been like this? Or was it something they changed recently? Or maybe it's a bug?

I'm confused and I'd appreciate some help in understanding what's going on.

16 minutes ago, Enderengine said:

I was under the impression that hydroponic farming tiles were not affected by water temp, but when I pipe geyser water into them they warm up and my crops die. I'm using abyssalite pipes.

Has this always been like this? Or was it something they changed recently? Or maybe it's a bug?

I'm confused and I'd appreciate some help in understanding what's going on.

It's been like this for a while now. There was a workaround using valves to pump in less than the required amount every second, meaning the internal buffer wouldn't fill on the tile itself, meaning no heat buildup - yet still satisfying the water-check per tick of the plant to avoid stifling.

I'm not sure if this is still working as i've not done much planting in the latest update.

I guess it's not working any more. Even with 3g/s the tiles will heat up and so will the respective plant.

I observed that the tile is collecting always a few grams of hot water until it gets sucked away by the plant. This tiny amount is apparently enough to heat the tile.

I asked about this as well some time ago. The only way I managed to keep the plants from stiffling was pumping -10°C crude oil around in granite pipes, which is way too much of an effort for just sleet wheat grain.

I'm going to report this as a bug.

1 hour ago, turbonl64 said:

I asked about this as well some time ago. The only way I managed to keep the plants from stiffling was pumping -10°C crude oil around in granite pipes, which is way too much of an effort for just sleet wheat grain.

I'm going to report this as a bug.

Questionable balance is not a bug.

1 hour ago, Michi01 said:

Technically not, but I had a choice between sitting on my *ss or actually trying to draw attention from the developers to it.

1 hour ago, Michi01 said:

I reported it as a bug a week ago because I never saw mention of this change in any of the released patchnotes.  It may be an undocumented change or I might have just missed the note, but I reported it just in case.

I had a sleet wheat farm that was working fine before the automation update, using a combination of pumping the oxygen in the room continuously though a series of thermo regulators and wheezeworts, but after the update I am having trouble with the growth being halted due to body temperature. I was pumping water in from a geyser via abyssalite pipes, so I tried getting rid of them and replacing the farm with regular farm tiles and going to manual watering, but the problem still persisted (dupes would be getting water from a 40 C source).  I thought it might be the body heat of the dupes that's causing the problem, so I setup exosuits outside the door to the farm, but also no help.

So it looks like they might have changed things so that the temperature of the water you use makes a difference. I guess that makes sense, time to work on cooling down the water.

My observation is this (by todays preview version):

Whenever water goes into the hydroponic tile the water temperature is set to 20C and the amount of heat is absorbed by the hydroponics tile itself instantly upon entering the tile. There is no heat transfer later between the contained 20C water and the tile, and whenever the water amount exceeds 200g, the plant starts to consume the water - also no heat transfer there.

Seems that you can only grow sleet wheat if you reduce your input water temperature to 20C or so, otherways the tile will gradually (or in case of geyser water, quickly) heat up.

24 minutes ago, MorsDux said:

My observation is this (by todays preview version):

Whenever water goes into the hydroponic tile the water temperature is set to 20C and the amount of heat is absorbed by the hydroponics tile itself instantly upon entering the tile. There is no heat transfer later between the contained 20C water and the tile, and whenever the water amount exceeds 200g, the plant starts to consume the water - also no heat transfer there.

Seems that you can only grow sleet wheat if you reduce your input water temperature to 20C or so, otherways the tile will gradually (or in case of geyser water, quickly) heat up.

So cooling to 5C still takes it 20C?  That would be frustrating.  Seems planter with 85C water is an option.

Archived