Some math behind unraveling and the $12.99 set.

So if you are like me and don't have time to farm for every event skin, and have absolutely horrible luck with drops, the only way to obtain the event skins is to weave them. You can buy the $12.99 set and unravel it but how much does it give? (Please note I am not good with math so correct me if something is wrong.)

Short version:

If you don't plan on playing the event at all and want all the event skins plan on spending around $54.95 USD to obtain all the skins. If you plan on playing some during the event (10 hours a week?) then budget for $40 USD. You get a lot more value out of buying the $12.99 USD bundle for unraveling than you do on items listed on the community market. (And more of the money goes directly to Klei!)

Longer version:

For the $12.99 (USD for this example) set you get 8380 spools which is around 6.207 elegants per pack purchased. But is it cheaper to buy skins from the community market to unravel? Possibly but unlikely. For $1 in the $12.99 bundle you get 645.11 spools per dollar. (A cheap $1 elegant on the market is 450 spools.) If you could find an Elegant for 70 cents it would give you 642 spools per dollar. Maybe you could get some cheap elegants but it seems the $12.99 bundle is hard to beat for the value. (And more of the money goes directly to Klei instead of the person listing the item on the marketplace.) Most players would probably want to craft elegants but how much would it cost to craft every Forge item? Not including the items you obtain in the bundle we have....

14 elegant's (18900 spools.)

9 distinguished's dances (4050 spools.)

24 chat emotes (360 spools.)

21 portrait frames (945 spools.)

45 profile icons (675 spools.)

9 loading screens (405 spools.)

This brings us to a grand total of 25635 spools needed to weave every cosmetic item this update has brought. If we wanted to weave all of them we would need to buy 3.05 of the $12.99 skin pack. (Since we can't buy .05 at the same rate we get 3 bundles for 25140.) Since we can't buy .05 we will have to obtain it another way; perhaps the wx78 bundle. (He has 5 items in his bundle giving us 715 spools; more than the 495 we needed to craft the remaining items.) This also doesn't include the fourth $12.99 bundle we would need to give us the character elegants and clothing. If we factor this in we would need to spend $54.95 in order to weave every event related item.

Of course most players will probably play and obtain many of the items through drops. If that's the case then we only need 22950 spools for the item elegants and distinguished dances (Two packs of $12.99 give us 16760 spools which is slightly lacking and three packs would give us 25140 spools which is more than enough We could spend money on another bundle but the $12.99 bundle is still the best value.) We would still need a fourth pack for the character elegants and clothing. (Bringing us to $51.96)

This doesn't factor in luck like finding an elegant or distinguished (1350 or 450 spools saved depending on the drop which is significant). but some of us (me) have never gotten an elegant drop, or for the particularly unlucky, distinguished drop!

Edit: Also something to note is that the $12.99 bundle does NOT include the limited time event challenger skins. They do not appear to have an elegant version that can be used year round. (Like the Hallowed nights costumes they added last week.)

Edit2: Also all the body slot item skins are currently broken and do not appear as skinned when equipped by the player. The other skins seem to be fine but I don't own all of them yet so I cannot verify. A bug report has been submitted so Klei is aware of the issue. Its fixed now and appeared to be an issue on my end.

24 minutes ago, Rellimarual said:

Can you buy any skins with these spools, or just the Forge skins? Apologies, I haven’t played the Forge at all and have no idea how spools work. Also, can the Forge skins be worn in the main game?

You can weave only Forge skins, but every skin you got can be used in the Forge and the normal game as well. 

You can only craft Forge event skins with spools. You can however unravel any skin unless it is Loyal, Timeless, Event (and maybe proof of purchase. I can't test this).

The Event rarity items cannot be unraveled but you could unravel the Elegant versions of them. (Like the Elegant Pigsbury costume.) I don't know why you would want to though. Note that the Forge skins (except the challenger skins) are not event rarity despite being event items so they can be unraveled.

Also I don't know if the Forge event skins can be used in the trade inn as it appears to be closed.

3 minutes ago, cezarica said:

Don't know about your math but as far as I know that the skins you buy with $12.99 aren't marketable (they have the "Not Marketable" tag on the Steam Inventory).

I think you got confused here. OP didn't say that these skins are marketable. They said about buying skins from market and unraveling them for spools.

15 hours ago, Dreamscape18459 said:

But is it cheaper to buy skins from the community market to unravel? Possibly but unlikely.

15 hours ago, Dreamscape18459 said:

You get a lot more value out of buying the $12.99 USD bundle for unraveling than you do on items listed on the community market.

Because you can unravel skins that are not Forge ones. 

Archived