Buying skins from Klei

Can you please give us the option of buying all sets skins for $12.99 each (like in the Forge)?

Additionally, it would be good for the purchases to be able to be used in multiple devices (PC, Xbox, PS4).

From spending so much time talking about this in the forums, most people fall in one of three opinions (I don't talk about the Forge because I don't want to speculate about it:
1: They want to buy the skins from Klei directly
2: They want Klei to fix/increase the drop chance for rare/Halloween skins
3: They want Klei to cap the market place

Capping the market place is just a temporary band-aid "solution" that doesn't target the real problem, that the prices are way too high.
Many people are divided on the increase of drops, because they feel that the rarity/and or prices would significantly drop on items. Which makes sense, since the supply of these skins would increase. In my opinion, most people that have talked about this issue in the forums, want to have access to these skins, and at the same time want them to keep their rarity. But as stated before, this cannot happen because increasing the supply lowers prices.

This is why I believe buying skins from Klei directly is the best solution. From my understanding for each market place transaction, 10% goes to Klei, and 5% goes to Valve. There is a minimum $0.01 fee for each transaction, this puts a minimum price of $0.03-$0.04 for items on the market place. Otherwise, they take a 30% cut on everything sold in the regular steam shop (including DLC).

Buying skins directly from klei would be more profitable for them than taking a cut from the market place (they get a bigger cut). 60% of $12.99 is $7.79, for Klei to make more money, there would have to be marketplace transactions of at least $78 (Taxes not included, 10% of a $78 skin is $7.8 for Klei, Valve would get 5%, so $3.9, and the seller would get 85%, so $66.3).

Looking at the market place price range (as of right now), it goes from $0.04 - $1035,  only 5 items are above $78. This means that almost every item is below this threshold. And this is only because of the Halloween skins being released. They will eventually level off in price, but they will still remain inaccessible for most players because of their rarity, and only people willing to spend a lot of money would be able to get them. Which is the major complaint of all the posts and comments I have read about this. If we can buy skins directly for Klei, it would be cheaper to have access to these skins, and more profitable for Klei.

Thank you.

Edit: Thanks @Dreamscape18459 for pointing out I messed up the math, and not including the info about the taxes.

Unfortunately, skins prior to Forge will most likely not be made available for upfront purchase. Although I also wish this new system was implemented from the start, it wasn't. Changing it now would cause some discontentment among those who have been buying and trading over Steam.

You can never please everyone. I believe this change would help many more people than it would hurt them. The general idea I get from reading the forums is that most people hate the steam marketplace, and would prefer to buy the skins from Klei themselves.

46 minutes ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

The community sucks. like 1500 Euros for haloween wendy skin? i dont know how someone coukd think of this madness

Which is why most people in the forums tend to agree that buying the skins from Klei directly is much better than the marketplace. Some people think that capping the marketplace will help, but I just think it is an indirect "solution" to the real problem.

Just now, Master Wolf said:

Which is why most people in the forums tend to agree that buying the skins from Klei directly is much better than the marketplace. Some people think that capping the marketplace will help, but I just think it is an indirect "solution" to the real problem.

I see you indirectly calling me out... >.>

:3

The math in your OP is incorrect. Klei gets 10% and Valve gets 5% while the user who listed the item gets 85%. Valve does not get their 5% cut from Klei's revenue but from a separate % entirely. For a $100 skin sold....

Klei gets $10.

Valve gets $5

Seller gets $85

This doesn't include taxes and in certain countries/states other taxes may be present or entirely absent. (I personally don't live in an area where people must pay taxes on digital good transactions) I don't have time to research every countries tax so other posters will have to do it themselves.

Also Klei does benefit from Valve getting money as they use it to maintain/improve steam functionality that Klei uses. (I believe the server browser is one of these.) Klei certainly doesn't directly receive it but they do benefit from Valve's cut.

55 minutes ago, Dreamscape18459 said:

The math in your OP is incorrect. Klei gets 10% and Valve gets 5% while the user who listed the item gets 85%. Valve does not get their 5% cut from Klei's revenue but from a separate % entirely. For a $100 skin sold....

Klei gets $10.

Valve gets $5

Seller gets $85

This doesn't include taxes and in certain countries/states other taxes may be present or entirely absent. (I personally don't live in an area where people must pay taxes on digital good transactions) I don't have time to research every countries tax so other posters will have to do it themselves.

Also Klei does benefit from Valve getting money as they use it to maintain/improve steam functionality that Klei uses. (I believe the server browser is one of these.) Klei certainly doesn't directly receive it but they do benefit from Valve's cut.

My mistake, I switched the numbers, dammit, I thought I fixed it.

I will add the caveat about taxes.

I thought the server browsing and hosting was all done through Klei's servers?

6 hours ago, Dreamscape18459 said:

Klei gets $10.

Valve gets $5

Seller gets $85

I also believe/believed that this works so, however as today I listed some skins to sell I noticed that this maths doesn't exactly correct. From an item I listed for 2€ I'll get 1,75€, which means Klei+Valve gets 12,5% of the price (minus taxes?).

Do you understand why is it? Which one is correct, 15% or 12,5%? Or is it because my currency is in euro, not dollar? (Which wouldn't make sence I think, why would they get less money from one currency than from another?...)

18 minutes ago, fimmatek said:

I also believe/believed that this works so, however as today I listed some skins to sell I noticed that this maths doesn't exactly correct. From an item I listed for 2€ I'll get 1,75€, which means Klei+Valve gets 12,5% of the price (minus taxes?).

Do you understand why is it? Which one is correct, 15% or 12,5%? Or is it because my currency is in euro, not dollar? (Which wouldn't make sence I think, why would they get less money from one currency than from another?...)

What is the "Steam Transaction Fee"?

The Steam Transaction Fee is collected by Steam and is used to protect against nominal fraud incidents and cover the cost of development of this and future Steam economy features. The fee is currently 5% (with a minimum fee of $0.01). This fee may be increased or decreased in the future.

Who pays the "Steam Transaction Fee"?

The buyer pays the Steam Transaction Fee. The Steam Transaction Fee is calculated based on the item cost and is shown on the confirmation page before purchase.

What is the "Team Fortress 2 Fee"?

The Team Fortress 2 Fee is a game specific fee that is determined and collected by the game publisher. The Fee is currently set at 10%.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6088-UDXM-7214#steamfee

This is coming from steam themselves, I would assume the fees are adjusted by the price.

On 11/7/2017 at 1:55 PM, Master Wolf said:

My mistake, I switched the numbers, dammit, I thought I fixed it.

I will add the caveat about taxes.

I thought the server browsing and hosting was all done through Klei's servers?

I'm not that familiar with dedicated servers but I think they have to go through a Steam server  to properly use the server browser. Maybe they don't go through one but I know other games that definitely go through Steam servers for matchmaking/server browsers. I can verify later I am not very familiar with how dedicated servers operate in this game.

At the very least the inventory system (For Steam at least, no idea about consoles and Tencent.) does use Steam functionality even if the server and server browser do not.

21 minutes ago, Dreamscape18459 said:

I'm not that familiar with dedicated servers but I think they have to go through a Steam server  to properly use the server browser. Maybe they don't go through one but I know other games that definitely go through Steam servers for matchmaking/server browsers. I can verify later I am not very familiar with how dedicated servers operate in this game.

At the very least the inventory system (For Steam at least, no idea about consoles and Tencent.) does use Steam functionality even if the server and server browser do not.

But you don't need steam to play it, you can buy a drm free copy. The only thing you need is a Klei account to play. Also, I think browsing and everything else is done in steam. I think all steam does is just check whether you actually own the game and then launch the game, deliver updates, and gives social features like a friend list. Oh yeah, and the inventory for market place. I am basing my assumptions on how other game platforms work, and Klei's server statuses.

https://status.kleientertainment.com/

On 11/7/2017 at 7:37 PM, fimmatek said:

I have absolutely no idea how taxes factor into the Steam community market place or any purchases on Steam as I do not live in an area that requires taxes of said transaction. Even if I did it taxes vary in different regions so any information an individual has may not be relevant to you.

I think that taxes just add a % to the purchase total and don't effect the original revenue share but I might be wrong. (A $10 skin would cost $11 after factoring in a 10% tax.)

To make the market even more confusing is listers may have to register any money they get from selling an item on the Steam market as income. And the % can vary further depending on income. (At least in the united states. If I make around $20000 a year I would forfeit around 5%(?) to taxes whereas over $70000 a year income would forfeit 25%(?) to taxes.) In the USA sellers have to register with the IRS if they sell over a certain amount a year on the community market (regardless of other income) and fill out paper work with Valve and the government. (And Steam market transactions count as income.) And if you live in a country outside of the United States you have to pay USA taxes and potentially your local government taxes on market transactions. (Again there are more restrictions/applications but I do not know them.)

The Steam market is really really confusing but for the average user who doesn't pay taxes on digital goods it is simple. You can find some more information about the market and taxes here. https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6088-UDXM-7214

Also please not the information I have is from 2012 when the market was fairly new. A lot has changed over the years so some information I gave may be inaccurate.

On 5. 11. 2017 at 12:27 AM, Sinister_Fang said:

No, it's the steam market community that sucks. The Klei community is great. It's actually the least toxic gaming community I've ever seen.

i meant the steam market community... Klei community is one big hug community

Archived