[Lore] The Forge & Them

Zeklo

So I didn't really notice it until I saw the skin in-game, but Maxwell's warrior skin has an eye on the hood.

ltwBWMi.png

Why is this important? Context:

Evq7P9P.png

This is symbolism for Them. Further confirmed by Pugna saying, "...They destroy all They touch." This particular obelisk mural showed shadow tendrils killing everything thing they touch—with the eye at the center.

So that's why this intrigues me. For what reason is Maxwell wearing that symbol? Sure Pugna believes we serve Them, but we don't actually—at least not willingly. What are your thoughts?

I can't check it right now, but I am almost absolutely sure Maxwell's "warrior" set is called cultist set.

I do not think skins should be considered part of the canon though, more like a what if scenario.

Unless of course we get a lore drop proving me wrong.

That said Cultist Maxwell does not surprise me all that much, afterall he uses Their power to fight, maybe if put in the situation he needs all the power he can get, he would bow his head to Them again in exhange for more power.

I'm pretty sure everyone who once sat on the throne is forever changed by Them

So for one with the new Hallowed Nights skins we got a new crockpot skin—which just so happens to have yet another eye.

360fx360f

More than just that though, it's been brought to my attention that the sides of the land in the forge, just before dipping down into the lava, have banners on them.

3LajyFL.png

Nightmare hand? Boarrior helmet? Anvil (Forge symbolism?). Eye. Flower (Life blossoms?).

Something that was bugging me was the living staff—it's a "realm of stone and fire", so where did these plants come from? They stick out from the rest of the gear. Smelted armors & weapons, infernal staff, etc, but plants growing in a place like this seems weird.

So regarding events as a whole—Klei wants to be able to do more. The Forge being the first test. If each event is a different world then it's entirely possible these flowers are native to a different world.

This is where things get a bit iffy. These banners stick out, not just because of their symbols but of their distinct colors as well. The normal banners we see in the forge are red, but not these. In fact, the presumable symbol for Them, the eye, is paired with purple, the color associated with nightmares & shadow. I doubt that's a coincidence.

Since Them, the Forge, & presumably the flowers come from different realms then it's possible that these banners represent several different worlds—the Yellow which sort of resembles the Boarrior's hat could've been their place of origin. Since as we know, the residents of the Forge got trapped here. Eons have passed since they arrived at the Forge so it wouldn't be unheard of that the "pig world" evolved into what is Hamlet, and having been more primitive in the past. It would explain the less intelligent pigs separated from it that we see scattered across the Constant.

The only problems I see with this is the fact that the anvil symbol is represented by green—one would expect red considering the place and the other symbolism banners. Not to mention the actual red one looks, to me, like a shadow hand, which sort of conflicts with the purple.

Ramble over, so what are your thoughts?

3 hours ago, Zeklo said:

Anvil (Forge symbolism?). Eye. Flower (Life blossoms?).

Green, purple, and blue seem to stick out from the yellow and red. Though since the red banner is THEM while the yellow represents (W)Boarrior, only yellow seems to belong. Not sure why green is paired with the anvil.

Archived