why power mechanized airlocks?

I dont really understand which part you asking, ill try with different answer

A) If you mean the mechanized door currently(bug) have same speed with power or without power, but if compare with manual airlock they have different speed. Speed of door closing and open affect chance the gas leak from airlock

B) If you asking why using power airlock versus different alternative, 

1. Four mecha door 2 horizontal 2 vertical airlock which destroy gas 

2. Waterblock, which have wet penalty debuff

3.small drip liquid tile steep same as no 2

4. naptha membrane 

5. Whezeworth airlock gas block

Most of this trick for airlock is......... not as game design intented except no 1 i guess. Until we have proper airlock structure all we can do is using power mechanized airlock for legit reason

C) Maybe if you asking different from my answer, perhaps because we can powering it up, why not, we have extra power we didnt use. And some people dont like red unpowered symbol on their screen

Your question seems ambigue too me, there 3 differwnt answer

I think he means because powering a mechanized door only controls the AI to allow or deny a duplicant access. But what value is there in that? If you need an airtight solution, the manual airlock works fine. If you need a fast-opening door, the pneumatic door works fine. But he doesn't see the value in powering a mechanized door just so it can determine who's allowed through and who's not, when the other aforementioned doors can do that without needing power.

4 minutes ago, Botaxalim said:

If you mean the mechanized door currently(bug) have same speed with power or without power

Not a bug. They just never bothered to change the unpowered speed.
The code for changing speed is fully functional, it just does nothing observable.

I suspect they are on the fence about whether the door should even exist at this point.

32 minutes ago, Risu said:

Not a bug. They just never bothered to change the unpowered speed.
The code for changing speed is fully functional, it just does nothing observable.

I suspect they are on the fence about whether the door should even exist at this point.

yeah, I meant that, ty for ur answers!

what u mean exist?

2 hours ago, Risu said:

My thoughts exactly - as soon as access controls were assigned to every door type, things kind of lost their intended purpose.

Not sure what the future holds, but as i've mentioned before i'd like to see some actual "room" type airlocks that can be built as a structure - i.e. decontamination rooms, UV Sterilizing chambers, that sort of thing. 6x8 buildings that have a door either end then a machine in the middle to administer an effect of some kind.

Exo suits are one thing for hot, or noxious areas, but considering how inefficient the dupe behaviour is - it essentially slows your base to a crawl by the time you get a few systems set up.

Equipping a suit, delivering materials to a job, running home, un-equipping the suit, having some food, going back to re-equip the suit, needing a pee, taking the suit off, having a pee, putting the back suit on, sleepy time beckons, remove the suit,  sleep for a while, wake up, harvest a mushroom, equip the suit....

3 hours ago, Lifegrow said:

Equipping a suit, delivering materials to a job, running home, un-equipping the suit, having some food, going back to re-equip the suit, needing a pee, taking the suit off, having a pee, putting the back suit on, sleepy time beckons, remove the suit,  sleep for a while, wake up, harvest a mushroom, equip the suit....

Exosuits are actually my favorite addition in the last update.

Regarding your specific complaints here. Delivery issues can be ameliorated by local storage compactor for build materials. A storage compactor placed right after the checkpoint can be furnished with project materials ladders to facilitate for example and can be reached by either side without going through equip/unequip routine.

Food has been an issue since forever for long projects far from base.

Exosuits are catheterized. Dupes in Exosuits don't pee. Not only do they not accumulate bladder charge, they lose it overtime at a rate if 10% per cycle. If anything the exosuit costs you polluted water. Exosuits not only prevent dupes needing to run back to base to pee, they also don't need to hold their breath in areas without ample oxygen.

You can also use door access controls to facilitate more efficient task delegation so you have a couple dupes dedicated to internal tasks that don't require suits that occupy them like harvesting, fertilization, cooking, sweeping, deliveries. This would result in greater efficiency over all, anyway.

There is also the option like someone did earlier where they just have them in the suit from dawn to dusk. I imagine that saves plenty of time and they never need the bathroom ever.

1 minute ago, Whispershade said:

Exosuits are actually my favorite addition in the last update.

Regarding your specific complaints here. Delivery issues can be ameliorated by local storage compactor for build materials. A storage compactor placed right after the checkpoint can be furnished with project materials ladders to facilitate for example and can be reached by either side without going through equip/unequip routine.

Food has been an issue since forever for long projects far from base.

Exosuits are catheterized. Dupes in Exosuits don't pee. Not only do they not accumulate bladder charge, they lose it overtime at a rate if 10% per cycle. If anything the exosuit costs you polluted water. Exosuits not only prevent dupes needing to run back to base to pee, they also don't need to hold their breath in areas without ample oxygen.

You can also use door access controls to facilitate more efficient task delegation so you have a couple dupes dedicated to internal tasks that don't require suits that occupy them like harvesting, fertilization, cooking, sweeping, deliveries. This would result in greater efficiency over all, anyway.

There is also the option like someone did earlier where they just have them in the suit from dawn to dusk. I imagine that saves plenty of time and they never need the bathroom ever.

Well jeepers :D This was meant to be a light-hearted observation of a shoddily implemented solution (to an ongoing issue) :p 

I'm well aware of everything you just said - but let's face it, you just had to type ~200 words to highlight a handful of ways to justify exosuits inefficiencies. 

Relocating storage - impractical, dupes will choose their nearest storage of the required element when the job is initially issued. Unless you somehow line up all of your dupes near the local storage as you assign every job, this doesn't feel legitimate, nor plausible. 

Regarding food - why are dupes donning exosuits when their calorific levels are low? Surely this is an oversight in the first place?

Door access controls - oh come on now, you know as well as I do that paired with an exosuit requirement/checkpoint it'd be a matter of minutes before your first dupe gets trapped ;) Especially when you start losing ticks etc in a busy base, that's when dupe behaviour really gets... wonky...

Having them in the suit permanently isn't a solution, neither is avoiding them all together :D (well I suppose it is a solution, however it's a trash one..)

I love the artwork, I love the concept, I love the animations (apart from when they wear the helmets on their behinds) however I can't say they're well implemented, because they're not. It's that simple. 

5 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

Well jeepers :D This was meant to be a light-hearted observation of a shoddily implemented solution (to an ongoing issue) :p 

I'm well aware of everything you just said - but let's face it, you just had to type ~200 words to highlight a handful of ways to justify exosuits inefficiencies. 

Relocating storage - impractical, dupes will choose their nearest storage of the required element when the job is initially issued. Unless you somehow line up all of your dupes near the local storage as you assign every job, this doesn't feel legitimate, nor plausible. 

Regarding food - why are dupes donning exosuits when their calorific levels are low? Surely this is an oversight in the first place?

Door access controls - oh come on now, you know as well as I do that paired with an exosuit requirement/checkpoint it'd be a matter of minutes before your first dupe gets trapped ;) Especially when you start losing ticks etc in a busy base, that's when dupe behaviour really gets... wonky...

Having them in the suit permanently isn't a solution, neither is avoiding them all together :D (well I suppose it is a solution, however it's a trash one..)

I love the artwork, I love the concept, I love the animations (apart from when they wear the helmets on their behinds) however I can't say they're well implemented, because they're not. It's that simple. 

Well, to mirror something you've said previously. Just because you don't know how to use them efficiently doesn't mean they can't be used efficiently. :D

I find they help efficiency immensely. Especially with never having to go back and pee, or run to catch breath.

In how you handle your storage it may be impractical, but I have a number of solutions to facilitate delivery/sweeping that work for me no worse than before exosuits.

Why are you talking about donning suits to eat, exactly? They do it usually once every two cycles. The half second time total a cycle dedicated to swapping out of a suit/back in to do it is hardly debilitating after running back to base from an excursion.

I don't get what you're talking about getting trapped. I use door access controls with my exosuits all the time and I've never had them get stuck unless i wanted them to be deliberately trapped somewhere to do something that required good timing like herding a puft.

22 minutes ago, Whispershade said:

Well, to mirror something you've said previously. Just because you don't know how to use them efficiently doesn't mean they can't be used efficiently. :D

I find they help efficiency immensely. Especially with never having to go back and pee, or run to catch breath.

In how you handle your storage it may be impractical, but I have a number of solutions to facilitate delivery/sweeping that work for me no worse than before exosuits.

Why are you talking about donning suits to eat, exactly? They do it usually once every two cycles. The half second time total a cycle dedicated to swapping out of a suit/back in to do it is hardly debilitating after running back to base from an excursion.

I don't get what you're talking about getting trapped. I use door access controls with my exosuits all the time and I've never had them get stuck unless i wanted them to be deliberately trapped somewhere to do something that required good timing like herding a puft.

But..... I knew everything you just suggested? 

I've been playing with the exosuits since their introduction, and the fact remains I've watched dupes going through the process of equipping the suit, running to a job, delivering part of the materials needed for a build, then running off and unequipping the suit again. Likewise sometimes they'll run all the way towards a job, get there - build a couple of tiles, then leave again. You can't tell me you haven't seen this behaviour? This is common ONI job logic. It isn't efficient - in fact it's one of the oldest complaints on these forums - the job handling. It's now exacerbated by the suit checkpoint animation time :D 

Saying that your storage systems work no worse than before the introduction of exosuits is somewhat of a moot point, as my complaint is with the dupe behaviour itself, not the storage selection process, or locale ;) 

For an actively working dupe - the time wasted equipping/unequipping massively outweighs a quick bathroom break - because the frequency that a dupe has to do "their business" is far less than the amount of times they'll pass through an exosuit checkpoint within a cycle. I imagine the decision to conveniently fit a she-wee to the suits (I don't like the idea of a tube inside my dupes!) was because the devs were getting increasingly frustrated by abandoned suits all over their bases :p 

"The half second time total a cycle dedicated to swapping out of a suit/back in to do it" - What? Are you playing the same game as me? Do you only let one dupe out per cycle? Are you a cruel overlord? I ran an 18 dupe colony, wherever I wanted suits i'd fit 4-6 stations to allow for a medium work party - i'm telling you now - it was not half a second per cycle per dupe.

Finally I maybe wasn't clear about the food thing. I didn't say they're equipping suits to eat, I asked why they're equipping suits if their calorific levels are low. For example if a dupe is 100 calories above their calorific cut off, then equips a suit, they'll unequip it again at their earliest convenience to go and eat. Another example of efficiency :( 

41 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

But..... I knew everything you just suggested? 

Yes, I know. You always know everything, all the time, ever. Precisely like when complained about them needing to go back for a wee while in an exosuit. :D

44 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

I've been playing with the exosuits since their introduction, and the fact remains I've watched dupes going through the process of equipping the suit, running to a job, delivering part of the materials needed for a build, then running off and unequipping the suit again. Likewise sometimes they'll run all the way towards a job, get there - build a couple of tiles, then leave again. You can't tell me you haven't seen this behaviour? This is common ONI job logic. It isn't efficient - in fact it's one of the oldest complaints on these forums - the job handling. It's now exacerbated by the suit checkpoint animation time :D 

Yep, I was frustrated by this problem since back in AU. When my dupes would travel from one end of the asteroid to the other doing hodgepodge jobs all over the place. Then I used access control, then I used access controls to properly section off priority tasks to increase face time with the mine for the dupes for that task. Now access control is basically free. So it is much better. :D

47 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

Saying that your storage systems work no worse than before the introduction of exosuits is somewhat of a moot point, as my complaint is with the dupe behaviour itself, not the storage selection process, or locale ;) 

Your complaint seemed to be that the need to transition between suits to access storage and facilitate deliveries. That's absolutely not true. There are numerous strategies to avoid checkpoint transit of dupes while securing the flow of materials. And given the propensity of dupes to gather less than 100% of capacity when sweeping, creating regional stores for delivery of stronger more dedicated dupes can improve overall transport efficiency. ;)

50 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

For an actively working dupe - the time wasted equipping/unequipping massively outweighs a quick bathroom break - because the frequency that a dupe has to do "their business" is far less than the amount of times they'll pass through an exosuit checkpoint within a cycle. I imagine the decision to conveniently fit a she-wee to the suits (I don't like the idea of a tube inside my dupes!) was because the devs were getting increasingly frustrated by abandoned suits all over their bases :p 

If they don't have jobs or resources they need past the checkpoint and rather have priority local jobs, they won't have need to transit so often. Again this seems like your complaining about something you can fix but don't want to for some reason?  :p

54 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

"The half second time total a cycle dedicated to swapping out of a suit/back in to do it" - What? Are you playing the same game as me? Do you only let one dupe out per cycle? Are you a cruel overlord? I ran an 18 dupe colony, wherever I wanted suits i'd fit 4-6 stations to allow for a medium work party - i'm telling you now - it was not half a second per cycle per dupe.

This was specifically referring to the time lost needed to unequip/re-equip for the purposes of consumption. Something that happens not terribly frequently per dupe. Unless you have your dupes constantly starving on the verge of death and everytime food is produced there's a mad dash to the few calories not available.

57 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

Finally I maybe wasn't clear about the food thing. I didn't say they're equipping suits to eat, I asked why they're equipping suits if their calorific levels are low. For example if a dupe is 100 calories above their calorific cut off, then equips a suit, they'll unequip it again at their earliest convenience to go and eat. Another example of efficiency :( 

Same reason they would have ran halfway to a job across an asteroid when they only has 100 calories above their cutoff then immediately stop and run back. Them 'wasting time' putting on a suit and then taking it off is basically the same as the 20 extra unproductive steps they probably would have taken before turning around because they suddenly realize they are hungry. The problem is how hunger is handles and the addition of the suits adds almost nothing to the issue. It comes across making a mountain out of a molehill. :(

Smilies added for sake of levity.

I'm not going to bother quoting you line by line; there's discussion, then there's scrutiny. Contact me via PM if you'd like to analyse each sentence out of context :levitymiddledigit:

The reason I knew what you suggested is because all you actually suggested was local storage and door controls - oh, and the ability to not bother unequipping them at all, save to recharge them. They're not solutions, they're compromises for a flawed system.

It has to be noted, you've misunderstood me repeatedly, then ran with your misconception. I never once complained of "suit transitions to access storage" - I merely offered examples of poor dupe behaviour, now you're quoting me verbatim - out of context.

6 hours ago, Lifegrow said:

Exo suits are one thing for hot, or noxious areas, but considering how inefficient the dupe behaviour is - it essentially slows your base to a crawl by the time you get a few systems set up.

This was my initial statement, and it remains true. Once you have a few different systems set up, and a few different exosuit banks, and a few different jobs running at the same time - You know, a functioning, feature rich base (I can send you some saves if you need?) - exosuits cost a lot of dupe time. The animations that you may only see once per cycle for half a second, only when they go to eat (right?); I'm seeing frequently, for various reasons, in different portions of my base and for separate systems. Now compound that with late game lag, poor job optimisation, and buggy as hell dupe behaviour (as soon as ticks start misbehaving) - and you should start to understand. You offering me pearls of wisdom like "put some local storage down" and "use your strongest dupes for sweeping" isn't really a masterclass in rendering my problems obsolete. 

That said, I am curious as to how much OU you've actually played since release. I'm not talking experimental malarkey mind you, i'm talking release builds. Perhaps you can send me one of your saves if you'd be so kind, highlighting your extremely efficient setups ideally - i'd love to learn a few things from you - genuinely. 

Now I welcome a discussion, and I certainly wont shy from a heated debate, however - what slightly irks me here is that you've quoted me above and replied as if you hadn't even read the quote you had chosen to insert :

35 minutes ago, Whispershade said:
1 hour ago, Lifegrow said:

If they don't have jobs or resources they need past the checkpoint and rather have priority local jobs, they won't have need to transit so often. Again this seems like your complaining about something you can fix but don't want to for some reason?  :p

I prefaced that paragraph with "For an actively working dupe" - i.e. a dupe that would be tending to jobs around the base, and would be required to maybe pass a checkpoint here or there, you know - considering that was the topic of our little tête-à-tête. The fact you hadn't bothered to read properly leaves me questioning whether you're actually trying to discuss your point, or rather going out of your way to be a penis...

Anyway, this isn't the first time we've derailed a thread like this - feel free to block me, pm me, write me a letter or a song if you're so inclined. Don't quote me again though, I won't be replying xox

2 minutes ago, goodtams said:

Get a room you two.

Also don't power your doors.

He didn't even buy me dinner before he tried to... ;) 

It is always funny when u start a topic and coma back to see all THIS!

Anyways, funny-ness aside, there´s a lot of useful info here!

My opinion is that suits are absolutely AWESOME. If not completely OP. My only concern is that I cant have enough. (unless I produce 5/10 times the oxygen dupes consume for a while until docks are full. I just restarted after +/- 300 cycles and never had t use medical bed nor massage table. And THAT is a tremendous amount of time gained. I think the key is planning. If u have one line of work (I mean when u set to dig or build in a line), Dupes have no option but to do just one minor task and com back. 

I had 4 exist with 5 suits each, and lots of work set all over the map. Yeah, there´s a lot of (unnecessary) going back and forth, but for the most part everything is so much better, faster, stronger. Like, way...

The only problem I find, which is not big deal, is that if u dont have enough docks, not enough dupes can go trhough. which is countered by the fact that the dupes that do go, can stay there much longer...

side note, I found your comments really interesting, both, dont really undestand why u think u r fighting... sorry if it is not my business.

Cya!

There a way to make exosuit very efficient, 

Make sure all of your dupe idle

Step two do outside job from base use priority 9 for all digging and build

After all your dupe go out from base, control access the base door entrance, dont let anyone in

Profit?

7 hours ago, Botaxalim said:

There a way to make exosuit very efficient, 

Make sure all of your dupe idle

Step two do outside job from base use priority 9 for all digging and build

After all your dupe go out from base, control access the base door entrance, dont let anyone in

Profit?

They don't all have to be idle - in fact, none at all  have to be idle. So long as your priority is high enough on the outside in comparison to jobs on the inside and amount of dupes assigned to the jobs. Using access controls is still a manual work-around - a very effective one, but still something to compensate for a flaw in AI behaviour. So perhaps the next question to ask would be: how much do we want to have the need to faciliate workers, and how much should be automated?

20 hours ago, The Nightmare Tank said:

I think he means because powering a mechanized door only controls the AI to allow or deny a duplicant access. But what value is there in that? If you need an airtight solution, the manual airlock works fine. If you need a fast-opening door, the pneumatic door works fine. But he doesn't see the value in powering a mechanized door just so it can determine who's allowed through and who's not, when the other aforementioned doors can do that without needing power.

Even unpowered mechanized doors can successfully control entry and exit. So literally the only benefit of powering is getting rid of the annoying "unpowered" symbol.

20 hours ago, Lifegrow said:

Not sure what the future holds, but as i've mentioned before i'd like to see some actual "room" type airlocks that can be built as a structure - i.e. decontamination rooms, UV Sterilizing chambers, that sort of thing. 6x8 buildings that have a door either end then a machine in the middle to administer an effect of some kind.

I've said it before, I'll say it again: You have all the tools to make a room like that. 4x4 size, 2 doors, one gas pump, insulated floor and ceiling. That's perfect air lock and heat lock. You can build a tunnel with doors on a timer filled with chlorine that'd disinfect dupes. Tools are there (but I guess 4 airlocks in that weird horizontal/vertical pattern is in thing now...).

19 minutes ago, Grimgaw said:

I've said it before, I'll say it again: You have all the tools to make a room like that. 4x4 size, 2 doors, one gas pump, insulated floor and ceiling. That's perfect air lock and heat lock. You can build a tunnel with doors on a timer filled with chlorine that'd disinfect dupes. Tools are there (but I guess 4 airlocks in that weird horizontal/vertical pattern is in thing now...).

You've suggested an airlock, but I was appealing for functional rooms, to fit a purpose. Like a heating room to remove a soggy dupes debuffs when they pass through ;) That sort of thing, I just envisioned it with doors either side - enter one side, animation happens, exit the other with the new effect.

Probably shouldn't have used the term airlock at all actually now I think about it... :D 

14 hours ago, Lifegrow said:

It has to be noted, you've misunderstood me repeatedly, then ran with your misconception. I never once complained of "suit transitions to access storage" - I merely offered examples of poor dupe behaviour, now you're quoting me verbatim - out of context.

21 hours ago, Lifegrow said:

This was my initial statement, and it remains true. Once you have a few different systems set up, and a few different exosuit banks, and a few different jobs running at the same time - You know, a functioning, feature rich base (I can send you some saves if you need?) - exosuits cost a lot of dupe time. The animations that you may only see once per cycle for half a second, only when they go to eat (right?); I'm seeing frequently, for various reasons, in different portions of my base and for separate systems

For my part, I apologize for my lack of clarity, but it would be appreciated if you at least took the time to at least understand what I am trying to convey. You state that your statement here that you "never once complained of 'suit transitions to access storage'." But you're clearly complaining about the time sink applied because of equipping and equipping the suit to which I refer to as transiting the check point. One of your complaints in this regard was the frequent need to access materials past the checkpoint which incurs frequent transits and thus invokes a higher time penalty with regard to using the suits. I supplied an alternative that ameliorated this impact. Respectfully, I did not take you out of context. There are a number of reasons that a dupe makes transit of the checkpoint, and there are solutions maintain efficient use of dupe time for most of them.

Regarding, specifically, material management, my suggestion isn't just to plunk down local storage, but to use storage intelligently. For example, I'm not saying "use your strongest dupes to sweep" that is a misinterpretation of my intent. If I was unclear I apologize. In this specific example it is more efficient to use strong dupes to help build regional stores of materials by having them ferry materials around from main storage to local storage while remaining largely in the base and not utilizing exosuits. Then dupes outside the checkpoints who will then have access to the local storage do not have to travel as far to get the resources required or make suit transits. You seemingly misunderstood and dismissed my idea and then blame me for not reading what you wrote.

14 hours ago, Lifegrow said:
15 hours ago, Whispershade said:
16 hours ago, Lifegrow said:

I prefaced that paragraph with "For an actively working dupe" - i.e. a dupe that would be tending to jobs around the base, and would be required to maybe pass a checkpoint here or there, you know - considering that was the topic of our little tête-à-tête. The fact you hadn't bothered to read properly leaves me questioning whether you're actually trying to discuss your point, or rather going out of your way to be a penis...

Anyway, this isn't the first time we've derailed a thread like this - feel free to block me, pm me, write me a letter or a song if you're so inclined. Don't quote me again though, I won't be replying xox

There is no reason "Actively Working Dupes" need to all do everything all the time. Partition your dupes to tasks around the base to decrease general travel time. That's why I responded in the fashion I did. You have means to manage the flow and coordination of dupes. I understood what you said, I disagree with your premise.

I find it curious that twice in this post you suggest I PM you to continue this conversation because I am not to quote or reply to this lengthy response in which you called me a penis for disagreeing with you. I mean, I'm certainly willing to take this discussion to PM, but it seems hypocritical for you to demand that at this point.

13 hours ago, eloy2030 said:

side note, I found your comments really interesting, both, dont really undestand why u think u r fighting... sorry if it is not my business.

I am genuinely happy if the discussion had value to you. It has never been my intention to get into conflict with @Lifegrow over this matter or any other. But we do have strong differences of opinion and are both rather stubborn. Personally I'd love to metaphorically shake his hand and be on cordial terms but we've unfortunately developed a bit of an antagonistic relationship. Unhappily our communication styles seem to rather conflict. I believe he perceives my responses to him as condescending and disrespectful and I take things too seriously, though that's never my intent.

I do take the criticism he offers regarding my tone coming across to seriously to heart as I know he isn't the only one to interpret it that way. So I've emulated some of his ribbing to reveal that I can be a good sport. This appears to have backfired this time. I would also offer criticisms of his style but this isn't the place for it and is a topic for our own private discussion should that materialize.

At any rate, back to the original topic. I had the same question as you so I was curious how people would respond. I asked about it when they first expanded access controls across all doors. I hope that they make mechanized doors remote controlled through power so that you can make auto opening/closing doors with switches or something, personally.

56 minutes ago, Whispershade said:

At any rate, back to the original topic. I had the same question as you so I was curious how people would respond. I asked about it when they first expanded access controls across all doors. I hope that they make mechanized doors remote controlled through power so that you can make auto opening/closing doors with switches or something, personally.

Yes, please! make those already!

I feel the mechanics are already implemented, so...

side note 2: I do enjoy a heated discussion...;)

15 hours ago, Whispershade said:

I hope that they make mechanized doors remote controlled through power so that you can make auto opening/closing doors with switches or something, personally.

If there is one functionality I would like to see made more approachable and reliable it's to make a true air lock using two mechanized doors working together. The door|pump|door setup works well enough when the pressures on both sides are similar and it can keep the gases on both sides from mingling. But what would be even better is if the airlocks I'm envisioning could be made so dupes enter the airlock, wait for the door to close, room to depressurize before going out the other door. This would allow for feasible maintenance of vacuum chambers or high pressure chambers and their associated benefits.

2 hours ago, Sevio said:

If there is one functionality I would like to see made more approachable and reliable it's to make a true air lock using two mechanized doors working together. The door|pump|door setup works well enough when the pressures on both sides are similar and it can keep the gases on both sides from mingling. But what would be even better is if the airlocks I'm envisioning could be made so dupes enter the airlock, wait for the door to close, room to depressurize before going out the other door. This would allow for feasible maintenance of vacuum chambers or high pressure chambers and their associated benefits.

That would be fantastic. The airlock system with 4 mechanized airlocks (vert-hor-hor-vert) works fine and actually looks really satisfying, but it's an exploit, nevertheless.

What would be really useful though, is an advanced access setting that could be modified on the connected airlocks. I came up with two really useful possibilities: germ control and dupes limit on one side of the door. Later on you can deal with those issues with exo suits, but it would be great if we had that at the very beggining.

For those interested here is an example of the storage and partitioning scheme I was talking about with @Lifegrow.

20171015022349_1.thumb.jpg.07ea023135d406aa412864a808474cf2.jpg

In the example of this base I have partitioned duties between to main groups. The excursion crew, and the base crew. The excursion crew comprises 6 dupes who alone are given access to the left most doors for compactor room and the checkpoint area. The mesh door is given access to my two strongest dupes who are part of the base crew and whose primary job is to ferry materials. The excursion crew is restricted from priority base jobs like farming and fabricating as well as main base storage. So they will very rarely need to come back to base except to meet their own needs.

The six storage compactors immediate to the left mechanized door are priority 3 general storage with some exclusions (like liquefiables). They the excursion crew will deliver sweepables as they run out of priority jobs or ordered to sweep. The 3 compactors on the second level and 1 by the mesh door are resource compactors at priority 5 that contain gold amalgam, Iron, abyssalite and granite. The resources I tend to use most. My general storage is priority 4.

After sitting down and actually setting up labor divisions dupe productivity improved greater than I actually expected. An interesting features is efficient use of travel time. As the ferry Dupes will transport new materials to local storage and pick up from the sweeped storage on their way back. Basically eliminating unproductive travel time for them. The excursion crew remains on site most of the time as long as there are jobs to do.

I would say the larger number of dupes and more internal base jobs that require dupe attention the bigger efficiency benefit there is to setting up labor division, particularly as the base becomes more sprawling. I'd never set this up right away from the get go, but there's probably a threshold where it is necessary to get the most out of your dupe's time.

8 hours ago, Whispershade said:

setting up labor divisions

Dont you think it will be efficient set their job on job panel top right , for spesific like sweep, dig ,etc

Like high strenght set it to carry sweep and bring material, others dupe build digging

I guess the outcome will be same. The problem ai cant think one step ahead, no queue for next future job at all.  They must finish the first one until next job is reachable , such digging 3 tiles long.....

Waste so much time walking back to base

Archived