The Grinning Skull Oxygen Distiller

Just for fun I continued on my Black Pink Heart universal cooler design and made an LOx distiller out of it capable of converting about 2kg/s P-O2 to LOx using about 1536W(avg) not counting the pumps supplying the polluted oxygen.

You can see the skull is really concentrating hard of that Pacman feast and dripping saliva.

The Pacman is the polluted oxygen chamber. And the saliva drip is the output LOx chamber. The brain is the transformers and batteries. The eyes are the swirling crude oil vortices. And the sculpture blocks are the dripping grinning teeth.

Save file below to see it in action :D

2017-10-13.png

Grinning Skull.sav

25 minutes ago, GuyPerfect said:

Running heavi-watt wire through pneumatic doors? Isn't that a bit of an exploit?

I always thought building doors over wire was an exploit (since you can't run wire through already built doors). 

38 minutes ago, Roboson said:

I always thought building doors over wire was an exploit (since you can't run wire through already built doors).

Pneumatic doors aren't given the tile property. The other doors are, which would be an exploit to run a heavy wire through.

Edit: By the way, the building doors on wires is a bug obviously.
Doors use the build anywhere rule and tiles use the tile rule. This is what invokes the not in tiles check.
What it needs to be doing is checking the tile layer for the foundation tile layer, which doors and tiles both use.

Ironically the heavy wire bridge is a tile and it's allowed to be placed on heavy wire due to that build rule oversight.

4 minutes ago, Whispershade said:

Seems weird to me to focus on the heavy watt through doors as an exploit when the whole thing is premised around a heat deletion bug.

Might as well go the whole way to accomplish one"s creative vision at that point.

Yeah. I'm not sure @GuyPerfect and @Roboson really got the point of this thread. 

2 minutes ago, Roboson said:

No, I completely got it, it looks cool and all. That doesn't mean that it's not based off exploits. 

Sure. That's your opinion. The heat deletion bug and being able to build doors over heavi-watt wires has been around forever. And it doesn't look like it's going anywhere soon. My standard is that if it's possible to do in a survival game, it's by definition not an exploit because that is the game as we play it.

1 hour ago, Saturnus said:

if it's possible to do in a survival game, it's by definition not an exploit because that is the game as we play it.

Well that is a bit of a stretch. By that logic there are no exploits in games ever. I would say taking deliberate advantage of things that are clearly bugs is exploitative, but this is our own game and we shouldnt be the fun police.

I certainly wouldnt build it in my game but there is no harm for the people who do. It just seemed an odd point to focus on the use minor cosmetic bug rather than the bug at the literal heart of the function.

All this talk about exploits HAHA! Wait till you see this! I can stack an infinite amount of gas in an area. :D
As you can see in the picture Polluted Oxygen is at 100Kg.

20171013175953_1.thumb.jpg.03e554b94ef7d329e042cb1bded3a69f.jpg

In about a cycle - POOF! Liquid

20171013180239_1.thumb.jpg.a4e076455ce4cbfc8ad80cb936d546a7.jpg

This is achieved by having two gas fight for space. Notice the gas vent sitting between hydrogen and polluted oxygen. :D It never reaches max gas pressure.

20171013175706_1.thumb.jpg.ef54faf9aee9f3b523d24febcfdab2b6.jpg

@Saturnus I got it compacted as much as possible; although it doesn't have any fancy artistic design.

Here's the save if anyone wants to take a look. OxygenTestCompactFour1.sav

OxygenTestCompactFour0.sav

15 minutes ago, MidnightSteam said:

I got it compacted as much as possible; although it doesn't have any fancy artistic design.

Well you can almost half it if you lose the double vents setup ;) 

The gas vent bug is ooooooold, I fear the dev's don't care about it, despite them still capping the pressure of both vents currently available...

1 hour ago, MidnightSteam said:

All this talk about exploits HAHA! Wait till you see this! I can stack an infinite amount of gas in an area. :D
As you can see in the picture Polluted Oxygen is at 100Kg.

20171013175953_1.thumb.jpg.03e554b94ef7d329e042cb1bded3a69f.jpg

In about a cycle - POOF! Liquid

20171013180239_1.thumb.jpg.a4e076455ce4cbfc8ad80cb936d546a7.jpg

This is achieved by having two gas fight for space. Notice the gas vent sitting between hydrogen and polluted oxygen. :D It never reaches max gas pressure.

20171013175706_1.thumb.jpg.ef54faf9aee9f3b523d24febcfdab2b6.jpg

@Saturnus I got it compacted as much as possible; although it doesn't have any fancy artistic design.

Here's the save if anyone wants to take a look. OxygenTestCompactFour1.sav

OxygenTestCompactFour0.sav

Kinda looks like a pokeball...

1 hour ago, Lifegrow said:

Well you can almost half it if you lose the double vents setup ;) 

The gas vent bug is ooooooold, I fear the dev's don't care about it, despite them still capping the pressure of both vents currently available...

Yeah I took out the liquid valves. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It was splitting evenly without it.
Gotta keep the liquid vents for the drip bug though. :p

12 minutes ago, MidnightSteam said:

Yeah I took out the liquid valves. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It was splitting evenly without it.
Gotta keep the liquid vents for the drip bug though. :p

I meant you could almost split it vertically without any real loss :D 

I can't load the save currently as i'm away from my computer, so correct me if I've missed something - but personally i'd have removed one of the vents and half of the granite mass in the room and just ran a wolframite radiator from the aquatuner output behind every tile possible.

1 hour ago, CfSapper said:

Wolframite? I thought granite was better for a radiator design? 

I tend to use wolframite for cooling if possible, granite for heating.

It's much of a muchness to be honest, unless you're counting the grams :D 

1 hour ago, CfSapper said:

Wolframite? I thought granite was better for a radiator design? 

Granite is the best if you want to transfer heat or cold from the liquid or gas in the pipes to a liquid or gas environment. Wolframite is the best if you want to transfer heat or cold from the environment to the content of the pipes.

The difference is rather significant.

gottcha, and for rapid heat transfer through a tile you use wolframite and for a gradual but stable you use granite or have I been doing this wrong?

Edit: I should clarify I mean the new heavy watt bridges made from wolframite. 

@MidnightSteam You asked for a compact efficient version. This is 4x10 tiles active area and uses 185.15W(avg) once the initial cool down is complete to liquefy 2kg/s of 300K (26.9C) P-O2. Power consumption of the 4 pumps running full-time needed to supply it with polluted oxygen obviously not counted. 185.15W(awg) means the aquatuner and circulation pump only runs 57 seconds every cycle.

It's possible that some further tinkering can get it to use slightly less power but I'm not sure it can be much more compact. As some people don't like it, I've avoided heavi-watt wires through airlocks. Save file below pic.

2017-10-14.png

Compact_Liquefier.sav

Archived