Electrolyzer question

How many does it take to run a hydrogen pump constantly? I've asked this question before and got a resounding "one" but this simply isn't the case. I've seen more and more pictures of people running 2+ in a room with a single pump. I've played more then 2 dozen games and never found that one is enough or even two. What are the actual stats on hydrogen creation and how many does it take to keep a hydrogen power supply running constantly?

I generally use a triangular room to catch the hydrogen with a pipe set to sort out the hydrogen and pipe the oxygen around. Because of the shape of my room I'm capable of having an open door plan and have no doors on the room this prevents over pressurizing. With a single electrolyzer I don't get enough to keep it going. I've found that two separate rooms of two electrolyzers works well as I can pump the oxygen to more areas and I get almost complete run time of my hydrogen tank. 

1 hour ago, Obeliske said:

I generally use a triangular room to catch the hydrogen with a pipe set to sort out the hydrogen and pipe the oxygen around. Because of the shape of my room I'm capable of having an open door plan and have no doors on the room this prevents over pressurizing. With a single electrolyzer I don't get enough to keep it going. I've found that two separate rooms of two electrolyzers works well as I can pump the oxygen to more areas and I get almost complete run time of my hydrogen tank. 

It really depends on your setup as well as where the electrolyzers are located.  If the two rooms are too closed to each other, and if you're using just natural diffusion (which is REALLY slow), it'll cause overpressure faster and each electrolyzer will have a longer down time.  Same goes if you have multiple electrolyzers in the same room.

It's all about having enough dupes to consume the oxygens and having the electrolyzers in locations that maximizes diffusion.  I know that a single free standing electrolyzer would probably run half of the time, so if you're trying to run a hydrogen generator at full time, you'd probably need to have at least 2~3 separate electrolyzers and at least 8~9 dupes to generate enough hydrogen.  (That's assuming you don't have something else producing oxygen for your dupes to breath at the same time).

The other way around it is to use two-three batteries to hold over machines until you can "refill".  The basic electrolyzer setup that people developed is one I use frequently, especially early in the game.  It is a single pump, an electrolizer, both with atmo switches, and then personally, I put a hydrogen generator, 2-3 batteries and then a manual generator to start the cycle.  After that, I have a self-sustaining oxygen system with some leftover power to run a couple other things on it.  It doesn't go into my main power grid, it's really for the oxygen, then the hydrogen is a bonus. 

After I break into the ice biome it gets easier, because then the electrolyzers don't overheat the base and I will spread them around a little more liberally and deal with the hydrogen as it collects.  I very rarely use hydrogen as a main power source anymore, I need it too much for cooling (in my never ending quest to try and figure out how to make LOX.)

there is many threads on this subject, but it case you haven't seen this one, it's one of the biggest and most thorough. Some details may have changed in recent updates like gas doesn't have a directional bias anymore, but I think it's still pretty valid.

For 1 electrolyzer you need 3 gas pumps, 2 gas filters and 1 hydrogen generator plus additional power generator{coal generator) as thats too much power demand for a 1 hydrogen generator. Maybe somebody has a more efficient build?

Anyone has problems with polymer press overheating(its reaching like 200C)

2 minutes ago, Reaniel said:

Is there something you found out that we don't know yet? :p

My gasses behave in the exact same way they always did - or at least with no obvious difference that I can see so far.

Co2 bottom right, hydrogen top left, everything else battling for middle supremacy... I've experienced no distinct change.

Just now, grekon said:

For 1 electrolyzer you need 3 gas pumps, 2 gas filters and 1 hydrogen generator plus additional power generator{coal generator) as thats too much power demand for a 1 hydrogen generator. Maybe somebody has a more efficient build?

Seems a little excessive there, you can get away with single pump builds if you're willing to exploit the one element per tile mechanic (and I don't mean mixed water). There are plenty of electrolyzer builds showing this off both on these forums and elsewhere.

Polymer press has also been covered recently. Personally I'd recommend using a couple of wheezeworts and making sure your room has high gas pressure, then toggle your presses with thermo switches.

image.thumb.png.2bc68fb4cb95d53e3bf465cd5dc3f725.png

Just now, grekon said:

Actually, no.  You can read the thread linked by @manu_x32 above.  Basically, you don't really need multiple gas filters (or gas filters at all).  You need 1, 2 at most, gas pumps, for each electrolyzers, but with a simple atmo switch, it won't waste neccessary power on transporting the gas, and you'd actually earn a net power overall with a few of these setups.

3 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

My gasses behave in the exact same way they always did - or at least with no obvious difference that I can see so far.

Co2 bottom right, hydrogen top left, everything else battling for middle supremacy... I've experienced no distinct change.

That... Kinda suck...

I've gone back to OU and haven't played OI for the past few days except for testing the fridge stealth-fix, but I was so hyped when I heard they're making gasflow horizontally neutral :/

It'd be helpful if can get someone to clarify what they meant, and on whether we've misinterpreted what they said.

Just now, Reaniel said:

That... Kinda suck...

I've gone back to OU and haven't played OI for the past few days except for testing the fridge stealth-fix, but I was so hyped when I heard they're making gasflow horizontally neutral :/

It'd be helpful if can get someone to clarify what they meant, and on whether we've misinterpreted what they said.

Yeah i've been waiting for some elaboration myself. At first I thought it might have been something to do with preventing things like those pesky 20g packets of co2 that can hold back oceans of liquid, or much larger packets of gas - yet I still see those too. Honestly, I have felt no change from it at all :( 

22 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

Seems a little excessive there, you can get away with single pump builds if you're willing to exploit the one element per tile mechanic (and I don't mean mixed water). There are plenty of electrolyzer builds showing this off both on these forums and elsewhere.

Polymer press has also been covered recently. Personally I'd recommend using a couple of wheezeworts and making sure your room has high gas pressure, then toggle your presses with thermo switches.

image.thumb.png.2bc68fb4cb95d53e3bf465cd5dc3f725.png

I have no idea about the one tile thing but damn I feel so dumb I haven't figured out that I can put doors diagonally . Me So Sad :( 

Edit: also thanks for the switches tip. Totally forgot about them. Meh I will just wait for the next update to do this.

I relly need to get off my butt and post a screen shot of mine but Ive got and few set up one is a 2 electrolizer one pump set up that one its primed is a set and forget, the other uses one pump for hydrogen and 2 whezze for oxygen keeps eveything cool  and is a set and forget and is stackable :D just a little heavy on the wheezeworts not the most efficient by any means but once its running I forget about it. That being said there are much better systems in this forum. 

5 minutes ago, CfSapper said:

I relly need to get off my butt and post a screen shot of mine but Ive got and few set up one is a 2 electrolizer one pump set up that one its primed is a set and forget, the other uses one pump for hydrogen and 2 whezze for oxygen keeps eveything cool  and is a set and forget and is stackable :D just a little heavy on the wheezeworts not the most efficient by any means but once its running I forget about it. That being said there are much better systems in this forum. 

Well the thread that @manu_x32 linked above has many different iterations, but i'm assuming you're referring to this sort of design :

electrowheeze.png.0614adbc47ea8cf49513c7e42e565090.png

I try and avoid setups like this personally, but they were all the hype a few months ago :D 

...thats actually identical to mine lol the other one I use is two of those back to back with a pump in the middle for H2 and no wheezes. only down side is if i don't get any AC set up it gets warm. But im more if a casual player anyways :D

I like large, dedicated rooms, i usually atmo switch one of two pumps and atmo switch the electrolyzer itself. Doing this for the electrolyzer allows me to keep the pressure lower in the room. When it or they cut on, it's full tilt, no partial operation.

The pumps grab variable pack sizes but it inevitably joins before a filter for hydrogen - which i just store for reserve later.

There are some packet size issues for the filter, but it's one of the lower energy devices.

15 hours ago, Lifegrow said:

Well the thread that @manu_x32 linked above has many different iterations, but i'm assuming you're referring to this sort of design :

electrowheeze.png.0614adbc47ea8cf49513c7e42e565090.png

I try and avoid setups like this personally, but they were all the hype a few months ago :D 

I was testing around with various electolyzer setups, but I can't seem to get mine to stablize.  

20171005112937_1.thumb.png.ecfae9751b7b83410d888e8a5f7165e6.png

I'm trying to see if I can keep it going by liquefying the oxygen under the electrolyzer, and the pressure underneath is around 800~900.  The switch was first set at 2000, and lowered to 1500 and then to 1000 after it's seemingly stabilized.  But I would start having oxygen packets getting in about 2 cycles or so after the seemingly stabilization, and everything  would unravel pretty quick... Any suggestions?

EDIT: Switched out the internal medium from Naphtha to Crude Oil, and lowered the pressure below to 100~200...  Didn't help at all :/

tumblr_oxd4npWB9h1r5886xo1_540.png

Here is the system I found to work quite well. It was demonstrated by Brothgar (he has several videos on hydrogen bubblers). This system is a modified version of his, mildly compacted and made to fit above my starting bedroom. 

It is self powering and works by forcing the oxygen down and the hydrogen up. The hydrogen then fills up the space above the electrolizers and then down into the area with the gas pump. The atmo-switch activates the gas pump at 1000g, which then sends hydrogen to the hydrogen generator. 

Overall the system alone ran itself for dozens of cycles and put out enough 02 to keep the air in my whole base at highly breatheable. It also includes a pump (not shown here because its far off) to pump water into the electrolizers. Its really efficient, only running the water pump and gas pump occasionally while the electolizers run pretty constantly. All powered by the waste hydrogen. 

2 hours ago, Reaniel said:

I was testing around with various electolyzer setups, but I can't seem to get mine to stablize.  

20171005112937_1.thumb.png.ecfae9751b7b83410d888e8a5f7165e6.png

I'm trying to see if I can keep it going by liquefying the oxygen under the electrolyzer, and the pressure underneath is around 800~900.  The switch was first set at 2000, and lowered to 1500 and then to 1000 after it's seemingly stabilized.  But I would start having oxygen packets getting in about 2 cycles or so after the seemingly stabilization, and everything  would unravel pretty quick... Any suggestions?

EDIT: Switched out the internal medium from Naphtha to Crude Oil, and lowered the pressure below to 100~200...  Didn't help at all :/

That is my go to design, though I have an atmo switch on the electrolyzer too, that could be the issue?  Or missing the side wall?

This is the one I set up in the very beginning of my game, I'm on cycle 245 and I haven't touched it since.

I did have problems once because of something polluted being in the system, which threw everything off bizarrely and it took me entirely too long to realize it was polluted O2 causing issues.

selfcontained.jpg

Okay, I moved the array down by 1 tile and, lo and behold, it's now stable.

Apparently, there needs to be a bit of buffer where oxygen maintains sufficient pressure in my setup, otherwise, the oxygen pressure would drop too fast, causing hydrogen to move around, and allow some oxygen packets to sneak into the chamber.

I'll let it run a bit longer and see if I'll need to push down the array further.

I've experimented with 1 Pump as well and it isn't enough - I use a closed system though. I also went for 3 Pumps and that was quite an overkill because one pump would idle too much for my taste.Plus, pumps use up a lot of power. So now I've stuck to the idea of 2 Pumps to 1 Electrolyzer. And 1 Electrolyzer is enough for 8 Duplicants(+888g/s O2 and -800g/s O2.) With everything said and done you'll maybe recover some of the power used but Hydrogen is good for many other things so I don't burn mine.

To actually get power from the Electrolyzer you'd have to do the open(passive?) system the other guys have posted here - 1 Pump.

To answer your question: It would take 1 Electrolyzer to fuel 1 Hydrogen Generator(+112g/s H and -100g/s H.) That is...in theory. So, at any time your electrolyzer hits max pressure you'll be running behind. And if you decide to put pumps all around, it just defeats the point of using Hydrogen as a power source.

Here's the improved system I"ll be using in my next colony.20171005165452_1.thumb.jpg.07f7dcc928d00aac627d0e1402b48ff2.jpg

https://imgur.com/a/xLdlh

Link for more pictures and overlays. Yes, it's quite similar to what other people may have used.

• The packets are compacted with gas valve so I can pump them through a Thermo Regulator.
  • Wheezewort in there to cool things down just a bit. Otherwise make sure to use Gold Amalgam. Might pump cold oil around instead.
  • Hydrogen and Oxygen can be pumped where ever you want

Here's the save if you want to tinker with it. Pit Three.sav

Archived