Electrolyzer question

12 hours ago, MidnightSteam said:

I've experimented with 1 Pump as well and it isn't enough - I use a closed system though. I also went for 3 Pumps and that was quite an overkill because one pump would idle too much for my taste.Plus, pumps use up a lot of power. So now I've stuck to the idea of 2 Pumps to 1 Electrolyzer. And 1 Electrolyzer is enough for 8 Duplicants(+888g/s O2 and -800g/s O2.) With everything said and done you'll maybe recover some of the power used but Hydrogen is good for many other things so I don't burn mine.

To actually get power from the Electrolyzer you'd have to do the open(passive?) system the other guys have posted here - 1 Pump.

To answer your question: It would take 1 Electrolyzer to fuel 1 Hydrogen Generator(+112g/s H and -100g/s H.) That is...in theory. So, at any time your electrolyzer hits max pressure you'll be running behind. And if you decide to put pumps all around, it just defeats the point of using Hydrogen as a power source.

Here's the improved system I"ll be using in my next colony.20171005165452_1.thumb.jpg.07f7dcc928d00aac627d0e1402b48ff2.jpg

https://imgur.com/a/xLdlh

Link for more pictures and overlays. Yes, it's quite similar to what other people may have used.

• The packets are compacted with gas valve so I can pump them through a Thermo Regulator.
  • Wheezewort in there to cool things down just a bit. Otherwise make sure to use Gold Amalgam. Might pump cold oil around instead.
  • Hydrogen and Oxygen can be pumped where ever you want

Here's the save if you want to tinker with it. Pit Three.sav

Wheezeworts pull gas from the bottom, and emit it from the top - meaning you're naturally mixing your oxygen to the top of your build. I understand that you're using filters, however a pump can only process 1 gas at a time - so having a constant presence of hydrogen is better than your pump sucking up (and holding onto) a secondary gas - you can watch this in the pumps details, and trigger the release of secondary gasses by toggling the pumps on/off temporarily. I'd personally remove it - make the floor of your chamber out of granite, and put the wheezeworts below to cool the entire room.

16 hours ago, Roboson said:

tumblr_oxd4npWB9h1r5886xo1_540.png

I actually dislike this build - I saw that brothgar had used it and groaned. It's been shown a few times on these forums that electrolyzers work best, or nearest to optimal efficiency if the gas is pulled from the left side of an electrolyzer, that is to say if you're using one pump per electrolyzer. The system above is using one pump per 2, and using the over pressure mechanic; however it screws the efficiency of the outputs. Eventually it leads to a build up of oxygen (the 6 tiles in the 2x3 surrounding the electrolyzer) which royally ***** up the hydrogen production.

That being said... if you don't care about hydrogen, or rarely play past a few hundred cycles, then it really doesn't matter all that much. :D 

Huh, I didn't check the math to make sure I was getting optimal hydrogen output. May be something to do in the future. What I really wanted was a system which produced enough hydrogen to power itself, which the brothgar system does. Beyond that, I really only use hydrogen for hydrogen radiators, but since those eventually fill up, I only need hydrogen occasionally. My main goal was power efficiency, and this system actually produces excess power, so I like it a lot. 

With the way I have it set up the electrolizers are half submerged in hydrogen (top) and half oxygen (bottom). This seems to prevent the hydrogen deletion bug that occasionally plagues electrolizer systems. 

After seeing some of the other systems here I decided to see if I could make the brothgar system a closed system and still get it to run on just the hydrogen it produces. After a few cycles it stabilized and has been running for about 20 cycles no problem. I'm not sure how it could be improved really, its producing excess power and 2 electrolizers worth of oxygen constantly. 

ONI 2.png

Archived