I've never been good at layouts or planning much of anything, I'm the type of person that finds the right place for things 3 years later when I'm packing to move. Prison Architect, Kerbal, Theme Hospital, Terraria/Starbound, Factorio, I've never been able to pull off anything decent and always found my self working around my mistakes constantly, or being unhappy with it all. I really like this game, but this is a problem. Right now most of the rooms and such are just about functionality. uggo.thumb.jpg.1fe1f59cef4ea08044aeccedaa277dc3.jpg

An example of working around my mistakes, the med-bed being suspended in air is an example. :? It's funny, I've got a steam geyser 10 tiles above 9 tiles to the right and 2-3 tiles from that geyser is a natural gas geyser, I have 3 shine bug ruins to the left of the water pool, I have another larger water pool below. I have pufts in a germy ruin to the right. Lots of potential for easy mode.

I thought about expanding out but I don't want to because of the water, I started with water on both sides, where the waste water is going, there's a pressurized area with poluted water which has slime lung, at the bottom of the larger pool there is also slimelung with 2 waifer thin tiles holding a large pool from contamination.

If you're wondering about the copper at the top, I didn't want to open the vacuum up in my base, not entirely sure how much o2 would rush up, probably being paranoid.

It looks like you're hesitant to take on a big project once your colony's basic needs are met. One thing that can help is dividing up your base into different floors with different purposes, and letting nothing stand in your way. When your dupes have nothing to do, order excavation projects to give yourself more free space to work with!

Water lakes are no problem, just dig a large pit below your base and let it all flow into there. You can even make the pit walls into tiles if you know it's going to stay there for a while. Even lakes directly above your base can be drained into your pit if you build some tiles to direct the flow via a ladder shaft. It might be messy for a short while but it's easily cleaned up with mopping and a bottle emptier.

No need to fear the slime biomes. Have a 2 tall entranceway to the slime biome and put a couple deodorizers there, build Algae distillers in the slime biome to process the slime if you want (or store it all in a Compactor that's submerged in a layer of water). Once you have a destination for slime, you can start excavating to your heart's content! A few more deodorizers in the Slime biome itself will easily clean the whole cavern of polluted oxygen. The polluted water lakes can be dealt with in a similar manner, by making a big pit to dump it in.

A similar thing goes for the hot biomes. It might look scary with Chlorine and Hydrogen in the caves but you can let the game's physics work for you by creating empty spaces above and below your base for the chlorine and hydrogen to settle into. You can prepare for the temperature increase by digging sideways through abyssalite veins and finding some wheezeworts in a cold biome, plant those near the top of your base and they'll help keep temperatures down.

Just dont be afraid about relocate/relocating. Just expand and take care the problem later, we basically cant lose in this game, dupe keep coming. With gas pump, water pump, you can moving gas and water as you desire. Descontructing building giving back 100% material, so no reason to stay in comfort area, EXPAND AND PROGRESS

@eggsvbacon  That particular start is indeed trickier than some.  You have two very close bodies of water, which hinder expansion.  But, at least they're not directly under where your ladder shafts are.  As Sevio says, you will save yourself time later, by making the permanent relocation of that water a priority after you have your mealwood farm going well.  It'd also be a good idea to dig out the left lake a bit so the water level is below the level of the printing pod.

Building a permanent water basin will be a somewhat long term project though.  Dig both those ladder shafts down as far as you can before you start hitting open areas below you.  Usually this will be pretty much at the bottom of the granite/obsidian layer on the bottom border.  Dig 3-wide ladder shafts as you go down, and this will give you a place to drain the CO2 to, and that allows you to open those CO2 copper caves with no problem.  Make sure to have deoxidizers going asap to pressurize the CO2.  Now, this is a fairly long term project.  I think it usually takes me to around turn 40 or 50 to finish (depending on how many good dupes I get), because I'm also doing other stuff, such as breaking into chlorine biomes to get iron, and establish chlorine storage.  Then, when I have assembled my final central water pit, I make it of iron gas perm tiles.  They're immune to pressure, and you don't want to waste copper on them if you can avoid it.  If you're running into water on the way down, in the middle area, try to leave it in place, dig around it, and excavate the beginning of the pit below it all.  You should never have water spawn in the granite/obsidian border, and you only need about a 3-high area to get the beginnings of the pit ready.  Get it ready to hold any problem water (meaning water in the way).  If you weren't able to build it full height, you might want to build a layer of mesh tiles to catch debris from above when you excavate more.  This depends on if you are ok leaving junk at the bottom of the pool or not, mainly.  

In this process, remember that you're not limited to draining water down.   You can use tiles to *displace* water, effectively shoving it around  I often use this to shove water out of the spot I want a ladder to be.  Just build the ladder area full of tiles, then deconstruct them where you want the ladder.  Once you've got your water sorted into a permanent containment tank, you're free to design the rest of the base in a very rigid fashion, or however you like.

Spend one game clearing everything in the starting zone. Having all that space will get your artistic juices flowing.

Also, experiment with how tall you feel the rooms should be. Just enough? Double the size? How about one large room with nothing but a bathroom? How about another large room with nothing but Paintings, Ladders and Sculptors? Serves no purpose right? Just enjoy yourself :)

When your colony does start to fall apart, don't be afraid to let it go. Use those last cycles to test things out. Find out why things didn't work. Then see what you like/dislike about your current layout. It's going to take many games until you find a suitable layout.

I like my bedrooms 5 tall just for that extra spacing at the top.

On 10/1/2017 at 10:26 PM, Oozinator said:

That's the game ^^
I start with each update a new base and everyone ends in chaos. Need an endgame target..

chaosbase.jpg

I'd love to build bases that big, but as soon as the fps drop below 20, I am too tempted to start a new game.

Watching Let's plays helps me with getting new ideas.

15 minutes ago, xbeo said:

I'd love to build bases that big, but as soon as the fps drop below 20, I am too tempted to start a new game.

Watching Let's plays helps me with getting new ideas.

I have a really old i-2500k (no oc) and the game runs well. Now, while whole map is uncovered and the hot steamaction (liquid/gas)  is permanent at bottom section, lag is noticable.

41 minutes ago, Oozinator said:

I have a really old i-2500k (no oc) and the game runs well. Now, while whole map is uncovered and the hot steamaction (liquid/gas)  is permanent at bottom section, lag is noticable.

I also have an old i5-2500K, running on 4Ghz. As soon as the game gets interesting, fps goes down to 15-19. Stops all creativity in an instant ;)

Archived