Veterans - What do you do to keep the game challenging?

You seem to be mistaken. Advanced players typically look for ways to make the game even easier, such as through exploits and "farms".

Meanwhile, new players accomplish the same thing with mods.

Very little of the community is actually concerned about the difficulty of the game, it's why there's zero chance of most of the characters ever getting nerfed despite how easy many of them make the game. Because most of the community prefers them to be overpowered.

The few mods that try to make the game harder usually just impose ridiculous challenges on the players instead of just tweaking things that are too lenient towards players as it is.

Try to survive ruins only for a year . That's what I did as my last challenge ...

Nowadays I don't play DS/DST too often because I have done almost everything there is to do in the game ... Add to that , that I love this game because it was hard to survive and I only play with a premade of friends that are also here for the challenge ... Yeaaaa I can't wait for the next DLC with hope for content that is aimed toward the veteran players .

As for the mods ... I don't know they just feel out of place ... I prefer vanilla with some rules like = never use ice to cook (meatballs exploit) . This way winter is more fun because the struggle for food becomes real (when you set winter to very long) . And you actually have to roam for food .

But yea I agree with The Curator ... There are a lot of ppl that like to make super bases or play just for fun , not for the actual challenge ...

And the last content (ANR) was mostly optional bosses + some pets or stuff to make your survival easier ... That doesn't mean it was bad content but ... I miss the actual survival part - If you don't go to the boss , the boss will come to you ... you must beat it to survive or let it destroy your camp and run away .

42 minutes ago, The Curator said:

You seem to be mistaken. Advanced players typically look for ways to make the game even easier, such as through exploits and "farms"

This could be true for literally any game. But that doesn't mean there's no one out there that wants more of a challenge out of a game they enjoy and have already mastered.

The idea of having to prepare that season for a boss to attack you was what made me want to play the original Don't Starve at first because it was a challenge. Don't Starve Together was just an extra thing that I can leech off my enjoyment for lore and the cooperative experience, sadly I don't have friends that play this game to make me feel like how I did when Together first released. I can't say I've done everything yet, but nowadays its been hard to get into this game again. I guess it was the skins thst kept me going and now that I have em, I just see repetitive gameplay with no reward. I hope future content ( if we even get any) adds some type of challenge to bring back alot of veterans and new players into Don't Starve, because mods in my opinion are great to make your ideas into an actual thing in-game, but for me Im more into the actual developer content that was created by klei, because I know its lore and it's ment to be in-game.

My only challenge at the moment is to find away to have fun in this game again. 

I think the solution could be modding. For example, you could add a lot of challenge with food. Like :

No ice allowed in meatball recipe

No more than 2 mushrooms as filler (especially hard in cave)

Warly perk for everyone.

(The first exists as a mod, the second exists but not alone (in waiter 101, but the mod adds a lot of recipe so maybe not perfect for a harder mod). The third should be possible to do (but i would suggest something a little more forgiving since there are less recipes in DST than SW as far as i know).)

I'm sure you can make a more challenging game by changing some recipes. Of course, players will adapt, but it's the fun, to adapt.

You could also try a mod that randomize the lenght of the season. It's a great way to add challenge too, i think. Not knowing if you'll have a shorter autumn or a long winter. Also, it makes the thermometer useful.

Archived