What to consider when walling up pig torches

We have a four-torch set piece on our map that we're thinking of developing as a secondary base because of the perpetual light. Will regular stone walls do? Will the pigs attack the walls when not in their werepig state and will the walls be preserved if players simply stay away from that base during the full moon?

Some people who do this bait the pigs with something edible they can't reach so that they don't aggro even when wered-out. Is that necessary and if so, do we need to set bait for each pig, or will one central item do the trick? Would appreciate any advice from anyone who's done this.

The normal pigs will not the attack the walls but yes the werepigs will destroy the stone walls if you don't bait them with a powdercake, phlegm and etc, etc. That's all you need to do, to up keep the pig torches.

I had a solo torch in Ruins (of all places) and based there, walling in the (re-spawned) warrior pig - it didn't attack said walls, just "patrolled" in there and aggroed on players too close, running perpetually against the wall in their direction.

I also had 6 pig houses close to each other on a surface base with a central bait (pig skin) - pigs would perpetually try to eat it, walking against penned bait (pen made of those sticks walls). When full moon, werepigs would just run against stick pen, like in print screen below:

baited_werepigs

..and you could pick them one-by-one without the others aggroing on you (aka rest of them would run against wall for bait).

But now, from my understanding, last update (or the game update before last one) made werepigs attacking walls (hay, stick, wood and stone ones) - at least that's what some people here wrote "in passing by". I for one hadn't tried building this setup again on surface on my current server (I'm basing in caves and deleted server from which print screen above was made); yet, like you, I'm curious if indeed now werepigs attack bait walls. Can someone confirm (or infirm) this - pigs now attacking the penned bait?

With regular pigs, yes, baiting still works.

But I wanna know if werepigs really rip apart the baiting pen to get the bait - werepigs from regular pigs that is, not from warriors.

And yes, it was a funny set piece with one torch at center of 9 wooden flooring tiles right close to the entrance in Labyrinth.

11 hours ago, xxVERSUSxy said:

But I wanna know if werepigs really rip apart the baiting pen to get the bait - werepigs from regular pigs that is, not from warriors.

Werepigs from regular pigs don't destroy walls to get bait either.

Resurrecting this thread because I finally got a chance to make this sort of base on a public server. Originally, there were 8 (!) torches around a patch of berry bushes, but I though 4 would be sufficient, and that did turn out to be the case.

The main drawback of this is that the pigs are able to punch through the walls, sometimes even through the double walls, although not always. Also, one killed a bee and when my own pigs try to get the rot from the honey, the guardian pigs kill it, which takes an annoyingly long time. But if you're careful, it's actually a pretty sweet setup, brighter than Glo-Caps. I have never been in the base on a full moon, so I don't know if they tear down the walls when were pigs, but it's easy enough just to get out of Dodge on full moon. You still need a fire pit/scaled furnace for heat in winter.

Screen Shot 2017-06-15 at 6.14.20 PM.png

Man I keep dreaming of finding pig torches in my games...  I got frustrated and set my world to HUGE and then did a console command and sure enough... found pig torches that time... lol but I'm not wanting to solo a DST huge world... so I reset again and still nothing...

It's not like it's important - light isn't THAT big a deal... considering all of the other sources... but I'd like to have them ^_^

I usually use this mod http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=850494968 to make sure I have a few setpieces, as I play solo as well and i need the world to save me sometimes. :p

I actually have these guys (yes I used a panflute):

Spoiler

20170616043643_1.jpg

right below my base and I was wondering what to actually do with them.. So this is a very neat topic for ideas. 

The torches in my own server are laid out a bit like that, and I was wondering if it made sense to enclose two of them in a single structure. The main bad thing about it (besides the punching) is that you have to move out the stuff planted inside and then deal with disease. 

Here's how we used the guardian pigs on our own server. The torches seemed weirdly arranged, but once I enclosed them in walls, there was a pattern. 4x4 wall units seems to be the smallest you can use without risking the pigs spawning outside the walls. We thought about putting triple walls around them to keep them from landing any punches, but decided it would feel too cramped and would get laggy.

This isn't our main base, but a sort of welcome base for visitors who make it that far. It has some basic supplies and crops, plus spiders and soon pigs. No flingos because we spend the summer underground and kick anyone who joins and insists on staying on the surface.

Screen Shot 2017-06-17 at 12.06.26 AM.png

Archived