Is the Learning skill not working?

Was trying to see how much of an affect learning had on skill leveling times with new games where I would take some various dupes with different levels of learning and try to level their Athletics by simply walking back and forth in the starting area.

Two dupes with 0 in athletics and one with a 5 in learning leveled from 0-1 at the exact same time. Is there something about the amount that I'm not understanding or was it because it was the first level of the skill? I would expect the one with a higher learning to have hit 1 in Athletics first since it says 50% skill gain, but that wasn't the case. I can only assume the requirement for the first level is so small that it had a negligible effect.

Method was using the move to command to walk from one side of the area to the other, pause, issue the command to both to go back to the other side and keep going. 

EDIT: Kept going to level 2 with same result, both skilled up at the exact same time. Not what I would expect from the description.

44 minutes ago, 386146_1452784079 said:

learning skill affects how fast they research new technology at science station or super computer, not how fast they level skills.

Has it always been like this ?

I thought it said in the description it affected how fast they pick up other skills too.

When you hover over Learning in game in a dupe's stats tab, it tells you what their boost to skill levelling is supposed to be. I am thinking bug, or maybe it only affects certain skills?

21 minutes ago, DsnowMan said:

When you hover over Learning in game in a dupe's stats tab, it tells you what their boost to skill levelling is supposed to be. I am thinking bug, or maybe it only affects certain skills?

The attribute converter exists. It's just never referenced.

well i used bonus rather than the skill, fast learner has 5 extra skills, but still the same xp needed to level up few levels

good to know ty

my strategy was using my scientists as diggers so they level up faster at digging, never checked if its true

i wish research would be slower, at least 100 cycles per 2 dupes constantly

or research points could be used as a currency to buy/upgrade things

for example some limited buildings would be 100-200 research points, animals like 50 rp

or special items, like some concentrated oxygen, clean water package, seeds, special planter boxes , medicine, air cleaners , bigger battery, food package, controlable temperature room, decor

@ onebit - ^^^ But have you tested it? As although the tooltip says Learning increases Skill Levelling, it (currently v.217955) seems to have no affect (remember this is an early alpha game so bugs and missing features are not unexpected). To test this I just started a new game with the following dupes: Alan - Digging 0 Learning 0. Bob - Digging 0 Learning 7. Clive - Digging 0 Learning 12 (+Quick Learner trait).

All three dups did nothing but dig from the very start until they reached Digging level 1. If either the Learning skill or Quick Learner trait helped in levelling skills then Clive should have reached Digging level 1 well ahead of the others. But in my quick test all 3 dups reached Digging level 1 at the same moment*, which is only explained if the Learning Skill (and Quick Learner) has no affect on skill levelling. (*there were a few seconds between them levelling up, with Alan actually being first, but this was due to some dups needing to walk a fraction further than others to reach the next dig point. When this is accounted for the level up time was the same).

If you have run a test that shows otherwise then please post the results. But this is a quick and simple thing to test so it's easy to determine the current working status. The tooltip would suggest this is currently bugged, which I assume will be fixed at some point, but how it works at the moment is often more useful to players (who are playing the game now).

15 minutes ago, doubledgedboard said:

What do they mean by Skill Leveling, though?

Learning is listed as an 'Attribute', so what is a 'Skill'?

It's the same things, just called differently in different places.

Archived