[Suggestion] - Torch-Holding Structure

• Developer

Throwing an idea for a mod here, maybe it could be either a stone or wood structure with a place to put your torch? Or just something you put on walls where you can put torches in.

It would be a nice new decoration for bases, farms and the like :)

I'll probably make this (or at least try to) in the future if nobody does.

Here's my take on the concept:

New Canvas.png

The item holder is a craftable item that can be attached to walls and it holds any kind of equipable item. When a lighting item such as a torch or lantern is in it, you have the option to turn it on and off whenever you like. Maybe when holding a moon/star caller staff it can be turned on too, spawning a dwarf/polar star on top of the wall? Although this is an incredibly unnecessary feature, I think it'd be neat, especially for guys like me who likes to have a very organised base.

Yes. All of this.

I'm on a long bus ride home from work, so prepare for a brain dump:

• Maybe make a sconce item and make it so that you can "socket" walls into it to create the different versions; i.e. Just borrow the moon lens code for simplicity.

• I'd love if it retained the skin on the item I give to it, but I know that might be a bit trickier to do.

• It'd be cool if you could relight the ensconced torch and have it last for maybe a day or too (but keep the light radius small for balance). This could be done with a torch, lighter or firestaff.

• You could roleplay as a malevolent host on a lights out server (with Willow disabled). Set up up a series of wall sconces that lead your guests to an area where they will be supplied with twigs, pine cones and flint... but no grass. Force them to entertain you in exchange for necessities. You can basically already do this (with moggles, firepits and a firestaff), but it's that much more sinister with spooky ensconced torches.

• If you explore other stuff like the weapons rack, as a Wicker/Maxwell main I would love you forever if you implemented bookshelves. 

• I made a suggestion before about using the winter feast tree code to make it so you can place trinkets and other items on end tables. I'd say you could use this code to save you a lot of hassle too.

• Developer
59 minutes ago, Tosh said:

Maybe make a sconce item and make it so that you can "socket" walls into it to create the different versions; i.e. Just borrow the moon lens code for simplicity.

Ninja and I will make the mod for both DS and DST, and although still planning, I'm thinking about adding different kinds of craftable sconces for variety and in DST I'll just use the Modded Skins mod to add the variety.

1 hour ago, Tosh said:

I'd love if it retained the skin on the item I give to it, but I know that might be a bit trickier to do.

I can just add the skins in DST with Modded Skins! Hooray!

1 hour ago, Tosh said:

It'd be cool if you could relight the ensconced torch and have it last for maybe a day or too (but keep the light radius small for balance). This could be done with a torch, lighter or firestaff.

We were thinking of allowing torches and the like to be turned on, but I wasn't too sure about the staves. I'll mess around and see if I an make them glow for cooler cool stuffs!

1 hour ago, Tosh said:

but it's that much more sinister with spooky ensconced torches.

10/10

1 hour ago, Tosh said:

If you explore other stuff like the weapons rack, as a Wicker/Maxwell main I would love you forever if you implemented bookshelves. 

Although we'll first focus on sconces, I'm thinking about moving to other decoration stuff once I get the gist of it, that including weapon racks, bookshelves, mannequins, armor stands, hat holders, etc.

1 hour ago, Tosh said:

I made a suggestion before about using the winter feast tree code to make it so you can place trinkets and other items on end tables. I'd say you could use this code to save you a lot of hassle too.

Oh my, that's actually a great idea! Thanks a lot! :D

On 5/6/2017 at 11:12 PM, ImDaMisterL said:

Including weapon racks, bookshelves, mannequins, armor stands, hat holders, etc.

On 5/6/2017 at 10:07 PM, Tosh said:

Man i absolutely dying for your mod here, i always wanted to create a weaponary and  library theme area but i just couldnt find any of it from the workshop.

Totally support your ideas , please keep on the hardwork.

• Developer
On 2017-6-17 at 1:31 PM, Zeitpriester said:

Or Pedestal like the potter's wheel but instead of Statue u can put anything on it like a display stand in a museum.

Just my suggestions tho.

Seems like something for a different mod, but I could try my hand at it. Seems easier to make too!

Archived