How to use water most efficiently?

So i humbly ask someone experienced in this game to teach me how to use water in most ifficient way as of now i have truobles with water more than with sand, coal or algae!

And i suggest to post here your ideas about water use, saving and whatever else!

And dont forget to say about bugged things that can kill or make water "dissapear", as of now it seems to me that i loose more water to void and unfair politics of interdimensional water pumping traffic department than anithing else.:(

Heres my base comment what is wrong or so-

2REjccS.pngPnsmrIn.png

Well, since last hotfix the pumps seems to behave really weird, like constantly pumping even when they should not.

As for water preservation, get rid of the Microbe Musher. It eats 75 kg water per Mush bar or 50 per Liceloaf. With 8 duplicants that means almost full tile of water in 2 cycles in the better case and is in no way renewable (yet). Current best bet is just raw Lice, though you will need more plants in that case 2.5 per duplicant to be on the safe side.

Algae terrarium also drinks it like... well water.

Here's a comprehensive-ish list:

• No mushbars. Use Lice plants instead, a lot of them.
  • No Algae Terraria, it consumes too much water to generate small amounts of oxygen. Use the Deoxidizer instead
  • No bathrooms, Use Outhouses instead.
  • No shower, let your duplicants stay grimy all the time (actually that's bugged, most are grimy all the time, even when they shower)
  • No Air scrubber, pump CO2 out of your base instead.
  • No Electrolyser, Use the distillery or pump in oxygen from the green biomes to your base.

@Octyabr Did you just listed all water uses except research? If not even electrolysing it :D

IMHO: bathrooms, showers and air scrubbers should be okay to use now with the chunk merging bug fixed. Their input matches their output so you don§t lose water but filtration medium :) Water distillation really needs to be there.

wow.. your dupes really living in all of the luxuries XD

Bathroom is not needed.

Showers is nice to have but not really needed.

Other have already said a lot of important things.

What I really want to add and point out again:

- Don't cook your meal, it's a waste of water for now.

- Just let your hydrogen go up by itself and put gas pump on top of your base. Using gas pump & filter really cut down your oxygen. edit: the gas pump on top of your base is for your hydrogen generator. this way you won't waste too much oxygen while distributing it

13 hours ago, Vilda said:

@Octyabr Did you just listed all water uses except research? If not even electrolysing it :D

IMHO: bathrooms, showers and air scrubbers should be okay to use now with the chunk merging bug fixed. Their input matches their output so you don§t lose water but filtration medium :) Water distillation really needs to be there.

Exactly. Completely avoiding a scarce resource is exactly as don't having it in the first place. A dumb paradox i run into rather frequently in games and in real life...

I have a setup I didn't manage to run: air scrubber and water filter in close circuit. Maybe now I'd try that again.

14 minutes ago, Octyabr said:

I bought two air fresheners for my room because they were quite cheap (a buck maybe) two years ago. And since I have only two, here they are... collecting dust, still unused.

I'm Asian and this is one of the most asian thing I could think of. lol..

---

back to water, I think not using it at all also beat the purpose of preserving it... XD

just use it wisely

1 minute ago, mrbunnyban said:

This has been fixed? Can I run my electroliser without a valve to prevent my electroliser consuming 10kg of water but only use 1kg to generate oxygen?

Noo.. it will still consume all of the 10kg.

but now if you have a full pipes, it won't disappear again.

letting the machine only take 1kg even if you pump 10kg will make the valve useless don't you think?

why would anyone make valve if they can ignore it?

I'm thinking about it will make the water leak or break the machine or something like that, though it shouldn't be dissapearing like there is a blackhole or something like that

20 minutes ago, Zervo said:

I'm Asian and this is one of the most asian thing I could think of. lol..

---

back to water, I think not using it at all also beat the purpose of preserving it... XD

just use it wisely

Noo.. it will still consume all of the 10kg.

but now if you have a full pipes, it won't disappear again.

letting the machine only take 1kg even if you pump 10kg will make the valve useless don't you think?

why would anyone make valve if they can ignore it?

I'm thinking about it will make the water leak or break the machine or something like that, though it shouldn't be dissapearing like there is a blackhole or something like that

Mostly because I noticed my electroliser was not producing enough oxygen when I only fed it 1kg per second of water. For some reason the electroliser kept saying "no water in pipe" for brief periods. There was a big gap in the pulses of 1kg of water after the valve.

3 minutes ago, mrbunnyban said:

Mostly because I noticed my electroliser was not producing enough oxygen when I only fed it 1kg per second of water. For some reason the electroliser kept saying "no water in pipe" for brief periods. There was a big gap in the pulses of 1kg of water after the valve.

i tried to pumping it with 10kg each, but it will still said "no water in pipe" for brief periods.

It's just that the 9kg are gone, the machine treat it like 1kg.

well CMIIW, i never done a proper test with 2 vacum room and try to run 2 machines with one using valve and see how fast the room will be filled with oxygen. is using the valve will actually make the machine work less or not

1 hour ago, Zervo said:

i tried to pumping it with 10kg each, but it will still said "no water in pipe" for brief periods.

I noticed that graphically it looks like the electrolyzer is sucking up 10kg/s but it really isn't. If you disconnect the input water pipe at the water pump you'll see that the pipe flow animation doesn't match the movement of the last pumped water volume at all.

So I do think that it is only taking what it needs from the pipe instead of drinking a whole 10kg every time it needs to top up.

2 hours ago, Zervo said:

well CMIIW, i never done a proper test with 2 vacum room and try to run 2 machines with one using valve and see how fast the room will be filled with oxygen. is using the valve will actually make the machine work less or not

Blargh. Maybe I'll just wait for a more complete release when things are *edit: probably* working as intended.

21 hours ago, Octyabr said:
  • No Air scrubber, pump CO2 out of your base instead.

There are alternatives such as pumping it into a hydrogen generator which completely destroys any another gas than hydrogen without using any power.

Or as demonstrated in the morbid O2 generator build put the outhouses at the bottom of the base and place 1 (max 2) manual airlocks in front of them which also destroys the gases caught in the doors which is usually CO2 when you build it at the bottom.

10 minutes ago, SenhorLevi00 said:

I use the bio destiler to generate contaminated water, so i filter that water, i usually use 3 or 4 of them, depending on my base. I think its the best way to get water right now, and thanks for all your tips guys, it helped me too!

You can actually use the contaminated water from biodistillers directly in electrolyzers so you don't need to waste sand and energy purifying that.

Just now, Saturnus said:

You can actually use the contaminated water from biodistillers directly in electrolyzers so you don't need to waste sand and energy purifying that.

Really? I remember doing that and all i got was contaminated oxygen, so i have to purify it anyways?

It's a while since I tried so they might have patched it but it created clean oxygen then. Contaminated oxygen is also breathable btw so you shouldn't fear it as much as I see certain youtubers do but if you're building pure contaminated oxygen builds there's far better ways to get an infinite supply of that.

Oh, and mealwood for example grows perfectly fine in any gas. They just need a specific gas pressure minimum, and have a temperature range but other than that they grow fine in any gas, so if you have a big build with multiple floors hydrogen floats to the top. Below that is contaminated oxygen, and lowest is CO2 and chlorine. Just set your mealwood farms in the CO2 or contaminated oxygen rich areas and have your dupes live in between in the pure oxygen zone.

using hydrogen generator seems too cheatsy to get rid of CO2. also pumping CO2 out of your base instead of using Air scrubber - don't know how you intend to do that on long term worlds. Pumping gases on from green biomes - same thing as with Co2.

Archived