Ask and ye shall receive

4 hours ago, bzzz said:

Just wandering,  if dupes inhale 100g/s of oxygen and exhale only 2g/s of carbon dioxide, then where does the rest 98% of the mass going? Are they creating vacuum?

The 100g/s of oxygen consumed goes towards biological processes. So, in that manner, it is conserved. Oxygen intake does not have to equal carbon dioxide output. However, you're right that the CO2 emission from dupes are small compared to their oxygen intake. That's only for the purpose of balance though

13 minutes ago, fishtree said:

more questions!

Do pipes and wires heat or cool things?

Do inactive buildings consume any power at all, like a gas pump that is saying that is not in gas. (the stupid thing is in gas though, pump dammit!)

Pipes and wires heat and cool things up to their natural ambient temperature. Their temperature, however, does not change at the moment (a pipe with super cooled oxygen will still keep the same temperature and not release any of that good stuff to its surroundings).

Inactive buildings do NOT consume power at all. As long as they're not working, they it's fine.

I tried making a hotbox to eventually make steam, but none of the materials at the bottom have changed temperature. The pressure is at about 400 grams, and the temperature is about 50. There's a sandstone chunk at 27.8 degrees, and none of the materials have gotten any warmer. Am I doing something wrong?

I tried to take a picture but the website won't accept it.

actually, nevermind. I added a bit more air in and it started working, although pretty slowly. I think it might be an issue with tiny amounts of carbon dioxide in the floor? Really wish multiple gases could share tiles.

1 hour ago, fishtree said:

actually, nevermind. I added a bit more air in and it started working, although pretty slowly. I think it might be an issue with tiny amounts of carbon dioxide in the floor? Really wish multiple gases could share tiles.

It's all relative to their mass. Considering that, usually, at most, the average density of a gas in room temperature is 1kg/tile, and the densities of objects can reach levels of thousands of kilograms, it will take a very long while for the resources you want to cool down to actually cool down. With the recent hotfix though, that's not a problem since you can just super cool oxygen to absolute zero

5 hours ago, Czeraphine said:

With the recent hotfix though, that's not a problem since you can just super cool oxygen to absolute zero

Except when you throw that out of a vent it bugs out because it's a solid, so you can still only use hydrogen just above its freezing point at best. (Although technically if you bug it out you get infinite amounts of 0 K oxygen so that should cool things even faster.)

On 2/25/2017 at 2:01 PM, Czeraphine said:

Farming Tech: food is really important.

Gas Piping > Pressure Management: in order to isolate your base's oxygen atmosphere and prevent oxygen from running thin

Power Regulation > Combustion: Preparing for the electrolyzer

Liquid piping > percolation > Advanced filtration: you need all of these in order to run an efficient hydrogen generator and decent oxygen generation.

That is a LOT of research before you actually get an electrolyzer up and runnning. I guess on some algae-starved maps you'd push percolation earlier out of necessity?

My temperature regulation appears to be broken. I built a room out of tiles from the bottom of the map, at 310 C, and it's not heating up the air or water past 60C. Then some contaminated water fell down into the bottom of the map, and is now happily floating at 40 C in a pool of molten phosphorus at 200 C.

@CzeraphineHow do you make the night owl wake up at night? and how do you make the early bird to wake up early to use the boost benefit? Is there any schedule for each dupe like in rimworld?

Edit: oh and also, my dupe always go to toilet in the middle of the night and keep getting "interrupted sleep" debuf each night, is there any way to prevent this?

12 hours ago, mrbunnyban said:

That is a LOT of research before you actually get an electrolyzer up and runnning. I guess on some algae-starved maps you'd push percolation earlier out of necessity?

Generally speaking, with just the algae in the starting location, and only 4-6 dupes, you can make the algae de-oxidizer last 50 whole cycles. The thing is though, getting all the research done takes only 20-25 cycles at most.

5 hours ago, fishtree said:

My temperature regulation appears to be broken. I built a room out of tiles from the bottom of the map, at 310 C, and it's not heating up the air or water past 60C. Then some contaminated water fell down into the bottom of the map, and is now happily floating at 40 C in a pool of molten phosphorus at 200 C.

Temperature convections do not seem to be working correctly. Its gasses or other liquids that tend to heat up liquids. Direct block contact tends to bug out. For example, having water at the other side of igneous rock with magma on the other side of that, will not evaporate the water in some cases.

5 hours ago, Affratus said:

@CzeraphineHow do you make the night owl wake up at night? and how do you make the early bird to wake up early to use the boost benefit? Is there any schedule for each dupe like in rimworld?

Edit: oh and also, my dupe always go to toilet in the middle of the night and keep getting "interrupted sleep" debuf each night, is there any way to prevent this?

To wake dupes up early, you can simply double click red alert. This also works on dupes with narcolepsy *hint hint*. Dupes do not have a schedule. As for the early bird buff, it works as they wake up from the sleep cycle. For the night owl, just before the sleep cycle.

Also, the best way to completely remove the "interrupted sleep" debuff at this current moment is to never make beds in the first place. If they don't go to bed, they don't get the interrupted sleep debuff. They only get the "sore back" debuff. Which, in my opinion, is a million times less hazardous to your dupes.

3 minutes ago, Czeraphine said:

To wake dupes up early, you can simply double click red alert. This also works on dupes with narcolepsy *hint hint*. Dupes do not have a schedule. As for the early bird buff, it works as they wake up from the sleep cycle. For the night owl, just before the sleep cycle.

Also, the best way to completely remove the "interrupted sleep" debuff at this current moment is to never make beds in the first place. If they don't go to bed, they don't get the interrupted sleep debuff. They only get the "sore back" debuff. Which, in my opinion, is a million times less hazardous to your dupes.

Oh? so I can't have the dupes work on 2 cycle? like the night owl to wake at night and sleep at day and the other way around for the normal dupes?

Thanks for the answers btw.

Just now, Affratus said:

Oh? so I can't have the dupes work on 2 cycle? like the night owl to wake at night and sleep at day and the other way around for the normal dupes?

Thanks for the answers btw.

Yes, you can't have the night dupes only be awake at night, and the morning dupes only work in the morning. Either way, the increased effect isn't worth the half of a cycle's loss in productivity.

2 hours ago, Czeraphine said:

Theres actually another way as well. But your way is totally better and easier. I'll I'll post it anyway just to let people know it's there.

I've noticed that when dupes are on the massage table's there are classed as sleeping and I think because of this they don't end up going to their beds when it's bed time. I also noticed that during the night they get up from the massage table and go to the toilet then go to there beds. I feel like this could be bug. Any way getting up from a massage table doesn't give you interrupted sleep and because they've gone to the toilet before going to bed they shouldnt have interrupted sleep. So you're indirectly forcing them to go the toilet before they go to bed. The huge draw back from this is when you have too many dupes who need to go to the toilet. Cause then it's a hassle assigning all the dupes a massage table and you'd be wasting a bunch of space for a large number of these massage tables.

3 hours ago, Manet said:

@Czeraphine Does having a higher decor than the expectation actually help? There is barely any room in my base for paintings and having a masterpiece over each bed feels silly.

Yes, there is. A dupe's decor level will rise up to the decor value of the tile they are on at a constant rate. While the decor level is above their expectation, they get a stress relief buff of -.2% per second. If they are under the expectation, it is +.2% per second. A higher decor value in certain locations ensures that the decor level is at its highest. This means that they can spend more time outside of that decor value before they, again, obtain the stress debuff.

Archived