Ask and ye shall receive

49 minutes ago, Interloper said:

Does Chlorine gas have any consequences? It seems similar to CO2 in that Dups can't breathe it, but they can hold their breath in it for short amounts of time without any ill effects. Does Chlorine gas act as a poison or cause any health effects to Dups, like it would in real life? Does Chlorine gas kill plants or corrode machines, or anything like that?

Chlorine, in its current state, does not act any more differently than CO2 or Hydrogen. It's just another gas you can't breath in. With that said, it does not cause much ill effect to your dupes, plants, or machines.

Just now, Czeraphine said:

Gas, currently, flows in this order, from top to bottom: Hydrogen, Chlorine, Contaminated Oxygen, Oxygen, Carbon Dioxide. Contaminated Oxygen, however, is relatively close to Oxygen, so it seems like it just floats there all the time. An easy way to manage this would be to place air de-oxidizers in the source of the contaminated oxygen. Or, to pump it outside of your base via air filters.

I think you have a little mix-up, Chlorine is between oxygen and CO2 from my experiences.

10 minutes ago, Lampostsamurai said:

I think you have a little mix-up, Chlorine is between oxygen and CO2 from my experiences.

My bad, chlorine does lie between oxygen and CO2.

8 minutes ago, Vilda said:

Even more, Oxygen floats above contaminated oxygen

Oxygen does not float above contaminated oxygen. They are relatively close so their diffusion rate is a bit balanced. Here's a picture. Also, after placement, I let the game run on ultra for a whole cycle. 

Untitled.png

Just now, Czeraphine said:

Oxygen does not float above contaminated oxygen. They are relatively close so their diffusion rate is a bit balanced. Here's a picture. Also, after placement, I let the game run on ultra for a whole cycle. 

True I ran some checks myself, but oxygen floating above contaminated one is what you usually end up with when pressure is applied. From Electrolysers for example.

2 minutes ago, Vilda said:

True I ran some checks myself, but oxygen floating above contaminated one is what you usually end up with when pressure is applied. From Electrolysers for example.

Pressure here is applied, and the atmosphere is disturbed. Additionally, the game is allowed to run for a whole cycle. Here we can see that they are still balanced, and simply stick to where other contaminated oxygen lay. In ONI, we find that gasses have a natural tendency to stick together, so you see these weird spots where CO2 sticks to a corner at the bottom of your base instead of diffusing out evenly.

Untitled.png

1 minute ago, PixelBattery said:

What do you think the best order of research is?

Farming Tech: food is really important.

Gas Piping > Pressure Management: in order to isolate your base's oxygen atmosphere and prevent oxygen from running thin

Power Regulation > Combustion: Preparing for the electrolyzer

Liquid piping > percolation > Advanced filtration: you need all of these in order to run an efficient hydrogen generator and decent oxygen generation.

fine dining: need to keep that food fresh.

Decor - at this point, increasing decor is good as your dupes will have higher decor expectations

Temperature modulation - maybe you messed up and need to keep your plants cool

insulation: this is useless.

Sanitation and medbay.. pretty useless as well. Sanitation may be good only for the deoxidizer and manual air lock.

2 minutes ago, DevonBunny said:

I have a question.

What do we do we all the fertilizer we can make? i have not been able to figure out a use for it.

Currently, the only use for fertilizer is for planting bristle blossoms -the alternative to the mealwood plant. They're fairly inferior though.. so it's not even worth it to farm them.

I got a question... so I build two rooms with electrolyzers and gas pumps. the gas pumps should filter the oxygen produced and send it to the vents. But it seems that one of the gas pumps doesn't work at all! Tried rebuilding it, shutting it down, etc 

Maybe I made some construction mistake?! or is this a bug ( I know that there is/was one with the gas pumps pumping just one gas)

gas pump.jpg

7 minutes ago, badenixe9012 said:

I got a question... so I build two rooms with electrolyzers and gas pumps. the gas pumps should filter the oxygen produced and send it to the vents. But it seems that one of the gas pumps doesn't work at all! Tried rebuilding it, shutting it down, etc 

Maybe I made some construction mistake?! or is this a bug ( I know that there is/was one with the gas pumps pumping just one gas)

gas pump.jpg

First remove the water, then put the gas pump at the bottom for more oxygen in the pipes, this might solve the problem and optimizes oxygen pumping to

22 hours ago, Czeraphine said:

insulation: this is useless.

Interesting, I find it rather survival imperative - insulate your batteries and energy production away, insulate your base in a nice cold sandstone to keep the outside heat away. It negates or at least hugely delays the need to cool plant farm.

15 minutes ago, Vilda said:

Interesting, I find it rather survival imperative - insulate your batteries and energy production away, insulate your base in a nice cold sandstone to keep the outside heat away. It negates or at least hugely delays the need to cool plant farm.

Currently, tiles do not change temperature once built. This means that, when built with cold materials, the tiles will always remove heat from the surrounding sources. The insulating tiles work the same way currently. Since temperature convection is currently bugged, it is useless.

10 hours ago, Czeraphine said:

Currently, tiles do not change temperature once built. This means that, when built with cold materials, the tiles will always remove heat from the surrounding sources. The insulating tiles work the same way currently. Since temperature convection is currently bugged, it is useless.

I now have more questions: does this have a limit? Could I, say, build a box out stone colder than liquid oxygen, you know, for example.

Do dropped resources and resources in storage containers change temperature?

18 minutes ago, fishtree said:

I now have more questions: does this have a limit? Could I, say, build a box out stone colder than liquid oxygen, you know, for example.

Dropped resources definitely do, not sure about storage containers.

I'm personally curious about using a cooling room to create cool materials to insulate the base, especially food rooms. I don't know why it wouldn't prevent heat death. 

If you didn't know about this you'd only ever heat up your material never thinking to cool it, in an endless cycle which destroys bases.

I think cooling building materials once you have the tech and carefully retro-fitting your base would work.

Screenshot 2017-02-28 18.43.28.png

Screenshot 2017-02-28 18.43.38.png

41 minutes ago, fishtree said:

The limit of the temperature drop is 0K, absolute zero. Once the temperature drops below that, the game crashes. Technically, you could build a box colder than liquid oxygen and have liquid oxygen condense there. Getting the material to that level though, is fairly difficult.

Dropped resources are affected by temperature convections while resources in storage containers do not.

On 26/02/2017 at 11:33 PM, Czeraphine said:

fine dining: need to keep that food fresh.

No need for that. Just replant your mealwoods so they are ready different days and let the excess rot. If you can't be bothered to harvest or anything they're on a continuous 5 day cycle, and you therefore just need to one per dupe in your base every cycle for 5 cycles and you don't ever run out, don't put it in storage boxes either unless you really want to waste your dupes time doing task that aren't needed. Since mealwood don't consume air anymore there's really no downside to just throw more mealwood at your problem.

1 minute ago, Saturnus said:

No need for that. Just replant your mealwoods so they are ready different days and let the excess rot. If you can't be bothered to harvest or anything they're on a continuous 5 day cycle, and you therefore just need to one per dupe in your base every cycle for 5 cycles and you don't ever run out, don't put it in storage boxes either unless you really want to waste your dupes time doing task that aren't needed. Since mealwood don't consume air anymore there's really no downside to just throw more mealwood at your problem.

Personally, I like to keep the number of dupes i have to a minimum. And the same for my mealwood plants (else they take up too much space).

9 minutes ago, Czeraphine said:

Personally, I like to keep the number of dupes i have to a minimum. And the same for my mealwood plants (else they take up too much space).

It's a trade off really. Since they don't care which gas they grow in as long as the air pressure is high enough I've started to placing them in the lower section of my base where temperatures are naturally lowest and where there's a lot of CO2. That way they don't feel like taking up that much space. And honestly, storage box... and you probably need to switch between 2 for that unlimited storage time also take up space. And good forbid you use those big fat temperature signature fridges, they take up loads of space, not directly but in terms of the complications it involves having to run them and making sure they don't affect temperatures in your base etc.

Essentially, raw food is the best solution I find but ymmv

15 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

It's a trade off really. Since they don't care which gas they grow in as long as the air pressure is high enough I've started to placing them in the lower section of my base where temperatures are naturally lowest and where there's a lot of CO2. That way they don't feel like taking up that much space. And honestly, storage box... and you probably need to switch between 2 for that unlimited storage time also take up space. And good forbid you use those big fat temperature signature fridges, they take up loads of space, not directly but in terms of the complications it involves having to run them and making sure they don't affect temperatures in your base etc.

Essentially, raw food is the best solution I find but ymmv

raw food is the best for sure. You can also keep pressure and temperature inside your farm constant forever. Just enclose them in a space where you can reach them diagonally, since dupes can access entities through diagonal tiles. 

19 minutes ago, Czeraphine said:

raw food is the best for sure. You can also keep pressure and temperature inside your farm constant forever. Just enclose them in a space where you can reach them diagonally, since dupes can access entities through diagonal tiles. 

I haven't tested this but diagonals leak fluids so I was under the impression that they also leak gasses.

2 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

I haven't tested this but diagonals leak fluids so I was under the impression that they also leak gasses.

They actually don't unless there is quite a lot of it. It has to be under pressure to start leaking.

Archived