Griefers evading the voting system

Despite Klei's best efforts thus far, griefers, trolls, and other internet bullies are still infecting group servers like a cancer, especially on dedicated servers, or even on maps that DO have a voting sytem.

Just tonight, I was playing on a server when one player, Aaron, had stolen items, and even got himself killed, but refused to let anyone rez him so he could drain our sanity. Our group voted to kick him about a million times, but with each time, he kept leaving before we could finish the vote. Then, he'd come back after a few seconds, and then cycle would repeat again, and again, and again, until the rest of us gave up trying. We tried to ignore him, but he was haunting everything as he was dead, and trolling more players (in a non PVP server) when he was alive. :mad-new:

Of course, on dedicated servers, trolls can just burn bases and cause trouble without being banned or kicked out. Incidents like these just leave players' hard-earned bases in shambles, forcing everyone to have to leave the server whenever a troll comes in and ruins it.

I know folks will say to "Don't feed the troll," or "Just host your own server," but these incidents have been happening so frequently that nobody can run a dedicated server anymore without a griefer coming in to destroy their worlds and harass the players. It's escalated into its own form of internet harassment.

We really need to change the system so that it's easier for good players to fight back. With this one, it's much easier for a griefer to keep harassing players with no consequence than it is for good players to kick them out, or better yet, ban them without an admin.

4 hours ago, ral365 said:

Despite Klei's best efforts thus far, griefers, trolls, and other internet bullies are still infecting group servers like a cancer, especially on dedicated servers, or even on maps that DO have a voting sytem.

Just tonight, I was playing on a server when one player, Aaron, had stolen items, and even got himself killed, but refused to let anyone rez him so he could drain our sanity. Our group voted to kick him about a million times, but with each time, he kept leaving before we could finish the vote. Then, he'd come back after a few seconds, and then cycle would repeat again, and again, and again, until the rest of us gave up trying. We tried to ignore him, but he was haunting everything as he was dead, and trolling more players (in a non PVP server) when he was alive. :mad-new:

Of course, on dedicated servers, trolls can just burn bases and cause trouble without being banned or kicked out. Incidents like these just leave players' hard-earned bases in shambles, forcing everyone to have to leave the server whenever a troll comes in and ruins it.

I know folks will say to "Don't feed the troll," or "Just host your own server," but these incidents have been happening so frequently that nobody can run a dedicated server anymore without a griefer coming in to destroy their worlds and harass the players. It's escalated into its own form of internet harassment.

We really need to change the system so that it's easier for good players to fight back. With this one, it's much easier for a griefer to keep harassing players with no consequence than it is for good players to kick them out, or better yet, ban them without an admin.

I remember this Aaron guy... he stole my Backpack after a fight and refuse to leave as well... a total ****!

3 hours ago, ral365 said:

I wasn't the admin. There was no admin, so we had no option to ban anyone :/

It's a shame that this voting system further limits our options when playing on public servers, but sadly you have to find a server that doesn't have the voting system or has an admin. There's no other way around it now as Klei is not wanting to respond to anyone who has made this topic in the past 2 months+. At this point if they had just said "we're thinking of solutions" or "this system is final sorry guys" then so many people would just drop this but it's because of their silence that we will be reading this thread every couple of days.

I think Klei should implement an option to report users, if you get enough reports so frequently in a short period of time it will lock you out of playing for abit, multiple offences and you get permimentaly banned. So people don't abuse this and ban good players, it would need to be like multiple reports from different players and IP addresses in a short amount of time to get them banned, cause if they are trolling chances are with this function they will rack up the needed different reports from others and loose access to the game's multiplayer all together.

Archived