Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

intellix

Surviving Summer

intellix    0

So I had a game yesterday that was going really well, but then Summer came and set my whole base on fire, pretty much killing me.

Today I had a really quick start, getting setup quite quickly and feeling quite proud. I explored the map for maybe around 10 days and couldn't find gears AT ALL. I found maybe 3 sets of carpets/marble but without any clockwork creatures to get the gears. The game seems near enough impossible without gears to create a freezer/ice flingomatic to survive summer.

Without the ice flingomatic my base is sure to just randomly set fire and I'll lose everything. Ice everywhere was melting and I was unable to create an ice box to store that in for when I eventually found gears.

I guess I have a few questions:

- Am I guaranteed gears in my world?
 - How do I survive summer without an Ice Flingomatic, it seems based entirely on luck whether my base will survive?

Without gears I can't get the ice box for my thermal stones and I can't get the flingomatic... I died before finding any gers actually :/

Also, it seems like the randomly setting things on fire during Summer is too harsh of a mechanic, unless there are ways without needing a flingomatic to survive through that. It's too random and the consequences are too severe

Mobbstar    14032

You are guaranteed gears at the wooden thing, which is guaranteed to be exactly once in every world.

You can cool thermal stones at a endothermic pit, fuel it with poop or something along those lines.

Also, I believe rot serves as smotherer, but don't take this info as fact.

intellix    0

I'm probably the billionth person to say this but I think Summer is BS :p

I first played without RoG and loved Winter, it was atmospheric and the struggle felt real and it made sense. 

Summer is insane and the gameplay mechanics don't really make sense. Things randomly setting on fire is too much. An endothermic pit doesn't really make sense either and it seems to be over-used imo.

Someone in another thread somewhere said something about collecting water during spring to cool yourself down. I feel that there needs to be a little more gameplay diversity in surviving Summer.

Sitting around a fire for 2 hours isn't fun :)

cmitc1    6

Summer is the most difficult season to live in, so, here is so tips.

first, I try to knock out the ice flingamatic first, its a machine that puts on fires in a circle around it (I ACTUALLY ADVISE MAKING YOUR BASE IN A CIRCLISH FORM EARLY ON SO YOU DONT HAVE HELL GETTING IT IN THE ICE FLINGAMATIC'S RANGE)..... You should know where some gears are(they drop from those chess monsters), if you dont, you didnt explore enough early on, (keep in mind, it will put out campfires, so you may need to get out the old hammer, and move your fire out of range)

second, get your endothermic fire. you know that yellow stuff you get from mining regular stones? you need that, for your new fire pit. it emits cooling waves, and can not be used to cook.(

Third, once you got a ice flingamatic covering your base, and a cool fire to retreat too. you should get something to wear. I use the summer frest, a straw hat, a umbrella, and a thermal stone to stay cool. (what you use really depends on your resources, so dont really go off this completely)..

now once you got those essential items for summer, you can get some basic items, such as stocking some ice inyour ice box, and storing some food just incase,

FloomRide    455

You were just incredibly unlucky with not finding gears. If you explored by the coast of the world, you should be able to find gears by 10 in almost every game. 

It is possible to survive Summer without an ice box, though. Make sure you craft protective clothing like the umbrella or summer frest to keep cool. The thermal stone can be cooled at an endothermic fire pit if you don't have an ice box. To keep things from burning, you have to put out fires before they start. Listen carefully for the sound that stuff makes when it is smoldering (about to burn). Manure and rot can be used to extinguish a smoldering object, so I suggest you stockpile some before summer. You can also put out smoldering objects with your hands, but it hurts you and raises your temperature.

porps    118

you can try digging graves or spelunking for blue gems then make an ice staff to extinguish anything that might begin to smolder. Probably need more than one.

Rosten    913

I too once thought Summer was complete and utter bs, but then I just decided to suck it up and git gud.

Summer is easily the hardest season to survive in, so unless you're confident, don't stay in a world where you roll Spring as your first season, having the extra two seasons (especially since one of them is Winter) is an absolute godsend for preparing for Summer.

First things first, Ice Flingomatic is your highest priority, you can stave off summer heat by standing near a crappy endothermic pit if you so choose, but you can't deal with your stuff getting set on fire constantly without a lot more patience than I have. If you don't have an Ice Flingomatic, start carrying all your food on your person and make an auxillary base with just an endothermic pit so you don't have to deal with all your stuff getting caught on fire. Hope you left some carrots in the ground. I don't have a lot of tips for surviving sans-Flingomatic, because it's always my highest priority from the get-go. I'd suggest not trying to keep your regular base from setting on fire though, not worth the risk and resources you need to expend.

From there, well, Summer is just like Winter, make sure you stocked up on tons of Ice during the Winter season and you'll have Ice Cube Hats for more than enough time, combine that with a cold heat stone and I've never had problems with the actual heat portion of Summer.

You're always guaranteed gears somewhere in your world, Clockwork enemies can be challenging without a full set of gear, but they will always spawn near the Wooden Thing, and there are plenty of them to kill for gears there. You can smother fires with rot and (I think) manure, but I wouldn't risk it with your main base.

Follow these tips, survive through Summer, and you will have finally

Spoiler

gitgud.png

Donke60    3101

If you havn't found any gears during spring and its nearing summer your going to have to nomad it first farm and build a watermelon hat then if you can have a thermal stone and a summer frest with and umbrella or a pretty perasol your going to have to be constantly moving during day as fire only pops up most of the time if you stay in one place for to long so rest during dusk with small bases to hop between with a sieasta and your be alll fine off meta builds for the win

Rosten    913

Oh right, another thing I forgot to mention: Summer has way longer days than any other season, you have really no reason to be hanging around your base all Summer like in Winter.