The Tropic/Jungle biome!

Do you think this will be a good addition to the game?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think this will be a good addition to the game?

• Of course!
    • It's OK.
    • Nah, not that great.

Bringing this back up because I had just read it, and it would actually be a really awesome idea for the home of the monkeys!One issue I noticed was how would they make it happen.Well, I was thinking about it, and since it's a jungle, you could do quite a few things regarding the height of the trees and such:- You could have a few small leaves or something to border the player's screen in place of the cracking ice like when it's freezing. It would also be darker in the forest with the deeper you go, so maybe during the day, you could have bits of light shooting down to lightly illuminate the ground if you don't have a torch. So it would slightly look like evening when it's day, or it hits night faster while in the forest biome section.- As for the trees, well they could just be really thick trees where you can't necessarily cut them down (Seeing as how if you did that, you'd make the monkeys lose their home, or they probably stayed in a special tree house) and the trees could be SO tall, you can't see their tops. (Which is why there would be the border of leaves and such around the screen)- With the new biome, it would mean new creatures, loot, and well... New biome! 8D- It's also very hot in the jungle, so maybe if you go there when it ISN'T winter (Since it would cool down when it's freezing), you get very slow, sluggish, hungry quicker, lose health from heat stroke, or maybe just have the whole quicker night thing.

considering we have winter, tropics don't fit into the game much as it is. Even thuogh I love the idea of a different biome of this shape being added and I actually voted yes, I realize it's highly unlikely that it'll happen.

Nah. Winter and the seasons are there just to add a nice challenge to the game. I really doubt there are so many biomes as close together in real life as is in this game. It's a new world with real-world similarities. It's the world of "Don't Starve", not "A game that follows rules of logic and reason!"I do get you though, but still. It could be a new kind of jungle. A kind of jungle that's unique to the world of "Don't Starve". That's the awesomeness of making a world, you can make it how you want! Shoooot... Let's just make an entirely new biome that doesn't even exist! :V We shall call it, the Trescaper Biome! (Literally just hubvhs'd my keyboard and got that name from what I did) It's a biome where it's always snowing ash! xPNah, but jokes aside, the whole winter in the jungle biome isn't that bad. The place is already crazy as it is, and one could even say (*COUGH* WILSON! *COUGH*) that it's odd for a place to have winter in a jungle... It would be quite... Intriguing. ;D

I feel like they should have a place where the monkeys would be able to live and... it's Don't Starve...

Don't you think that implies to let some sort of monkey creature inhabit a rather unreal realm other than a rainforest or something as known? I have yet to find a pig that builds himself a weird wooden dwelling. I personally do like the more creative ideas. Edited by Chantal
Fixed the quote

You lost me at thirst meter. Devs already said (multiple times) it's not gonna happen.

Say what?! :U Personally, I'm not a big fan of a thirst meter since it seems a bit much on top of the other stuff already. Although in real world survival, thirst is very important, it seems too much of a hassle for the player in the game though. I could see why they wouldn't want a thirst meter.Anywho, figured the whole jungle thing would still be pretty neat.

Yeah 3 meters are enough.Hm, that has to be a dark version of a jungle or it won't fit into the world.But a desert with some deadly scorpions and desert hounds would be interesting. Just an idea... xD

Didn't someone mention a dessert before? I think... Maybe. lolYeah! I'm sure of it! 8DAnd of course it'd be a dark jungle version. Wouldn't be "Don't Starve" if it wasn't. ;PI'm sure in the future, they'll add extra biomes: Deserts, Jungles, Mountains, Valcano, Oceans, YOU NAME IT! :VO3o Maybe! Just maybe... You could combine them! A desert jungle! :U That would be something right thar. Special plants that are like cactus! Sand dunes where the scorpions are made of... Thorn bushes? The sun beating down and you need the straw hat to keep the sun out of your eyes that blinds the screen, or that keeps you from taking over-heating damage! :V

Didn't someone mention a dessert before? I think... Maybe. lolYeah! I'm sure of it! 8DAnd of course it'd be a dark jungle version. Wouldn't be "Don't Starve" if it wasn't. ;PI'm sure in the future, they'll add extra biomes: Deserts, Jungles, Mountains, Valcano, Oceans, YOU NAME IT! :VO3o Maybe! Just maybe... You could combine them! A desert jungle! :U That would be something right thar. Special plants that are like cactus! Sand dunes where the scorpions are made of... Thorn bushes? The sun beating down and you need the straw hat to keep the sun out of your eyes that blinds the screen, or that keeps you from taking over-heating damage! :V

You could also use the umbrella to protect from the sun. :D So original items would have a use in this biome too. But I think we should talk about the desert in an other thread. :D Edited by Shin

I'm dreaming of an Uga Booga to come out of the swamp - like a swamp monkey with red eyeballs. His body would be camouflaged with the swamp and easy to kill but hard to detect. So he would sneak up on you moving from place to place. You could only see his eyeballs when he moved. Then come out of nowhere and bite you. Then you wack him twice. He drops eyeballs and you eat them to regain health. It would be a low level stack-able item that wouldn't have to craft to regain health. And risky because you would have to go to the swamp.

The tropic and jungle biomes are warm ones those biomes shouldnt be at the game because they could break the winter, unless the devs put a lot of dangers on them to compensate the lack of winter effects, I'm not agree at all with the idea.

The tropic and jungle biomes are warm ones those biomes shouldnt be at the game because they could break the winter, unless the devs put a lot of dangers on them to compensate the lack of winter effects, I'm not agree at all with the idea.

The same could be said about the Desert Biome that others have been talking about in the Desert Biome thread.- Aesthetically, the Jungle Biome can fit the game's theme very easily.- Implementation of creatures for the Jungle to act as an obstacle for the player can easily be added, and was even talked about in the thread some.- Winter... Well that was an issue for the Desert Biome as well (Still sort of is), but there are many-many-many-many ways to go around that and such. Just depends on which ways would be the best!Anywho! I is back! :V BWAHAHAHAHA!

Desert biome sometimes is froster than snow, the temperatures are extreme you cannot live in summer neither in winter even you cannot live by day neither by night, so desert dont break the game like tropical climate because is always warm and is not so extreme. Im not agree at all to put this biome unless they could compensate with anything this advantage because tropical climate is not at the same latitude than frost biomes (Meadow or forest, or mountain) however desert climate could stay near frost biomes see the example in some zones of Iran or Mongolia this last country has a lot of deserts and is one of the froster countries in the world and has a lot of snow.-Tropical biome could be a cheat if you refuge yourself in winter in this biome but desert not because is even harder than winter.-However i Think that they could put any tropical biome if they put for example illness if you stay so many time in this biome or if there are any other kind of danger here.Other real example is the Sahara desert where the atlas mountains are in Morocco, and i can ensure you that Atlas mountains are very frost with snow.-Jungles exists in the tropics and maybe there are a mountain or system of mountains near where there are snow, but in that mountains dont snow by the latitude just only by the altitude of the mountain.-In jungle the temperatures are always between 20 and 25 degrees so never snow, the conditions could be harsh but not by the cold temperatures. In the game there are no sense to put this biome unless they put any kind of biome that stops the snow precipitations before enter in the jungle.Finally and after all I think that is better not to put jungle biome neither desert but i'm supporting underground biome for some necessities with special conditions.

Edited by ViejoRoble

Desert biome sometimes is froster than snow, the temperatures are extreme you cannot live in summer neither in winter even you cannot live by day neither by night, so desert dont break the game like tropical climate because is always warm and is not so extreme. Im not agree at all to put this biome unless they could compensate with anything this advantage because tropical climate is not at the same latitude than frost biomes (Meadow or forest, or mountain) however desert climate could stay near frost biomes see the example in some zones of Iran or Mongolia this last country has a lot of deserts and is one of the froster countries in the world and has a lot of snow.

-Tropical biome could be a cheat if you refuge yourself in winter in this biome but desert not because is even harder than winter.

-However i Think that they could put any tropical biome if they put for example illness if you stay so many time in this biome or if there are any other kind of danger here.

Other real example is the Sahara desert where the atlas mountains are in Morocco, and i can ensure you that Atlas mountains are very frost with snow.

-Jungles exists in the tropics and maybe there are a mountain or system of mountains near where there are snow, but in that mountains dont snow by the latitude just only by the altitude of the mountain.

-In jungle the temperatures are always between 20 and 25 degrees so never snow, the conditions could be harsh but not by the cold temperatures. In the game there are no sense to put this biome unless they put any kind of biome that stops the snow precipitations before enter in the jungle.

Hmm. Well you do have some points, but even then, like I said, there are many ways to get around Winter.

- It's a jungle, and it could constantly be raining/higher rain chances/heavier rain/anything really.

- It's a Jungle. There are many dangerous things in those. Endless possibility on new creatures and what-not.

- Some sort of creature (or a bunch of creatures) could inhabit the Jungle during Winter that makes surviving in the Jungle during Winter that much more dangerous. Maybe a new kind of giant Deerclops-like creature. Maybe the monkeys or some new creature comes into the jungle to escape the cold as well, thus making it much harder for the player to survive in there.

- It could be a special jungle where it snows. Granted, that's impossible in the real world, but nothing's really stopping the devs from going at their own world in unique ways and what-not. Why should they limit themselves to reality?

- Buuuuut, IF the devs want to stick to reality THAT much, they could just always freeze over the wormholes during Winter or make kick the player out of the biome in some way. Or (like someone said before), the new -more extreme biomes- could be entirely new islands. No one said all these biomes had to all coexist together on one island.

It would really just be a bit of a change from, "Oh it's cold. Now it's hot. These temperatures." It's a survival game. It'd be nice to survive in a different way (in a sense) than what we already have. Don't get me wrong, what we have right now is nice and fun, but for only so long in the game.