Smashup: AI demonstration

pickleplayer

It's been a while, huh? I've still been working hard on this every day, and it's really coming together. I think I can say that the game itself is starting to feel finished (well, clearly still a lot of bugs to work out) but all of the major mechanics are in place. The hard part now is just going to be adding content before I release it. At least one more character, and finishing up existing ones. And a few other "unrevealed" features.

But now, here's the AI I've been working on.

He's fun. "challenging" would be an understatement to how hard this was to make, But I figured that most people are probably like me and have no friends to play against so I might as well make a computer opponent!

He still has a lot to learn though. His defensive stance is a little... quirky. But I'm working on it.

The biggest concern for me is fixing his motion calculator, which I might actually end up coming here for, since I think I'm just doing something wrong with the formula. But that's about it!

(Oh, also. Today marks the day that I started working on smashup exactly one year ago. Although it's not exactly something I want to celebrate because I was hoping to have it done sooner.)

I tried looking for this several times but always put a space between "smash" and "up" :(

Glad to see you are still chugging!

EDIT: I literally lol'd at "There's - like - twelve things to add to it!"

The AI sounds really complicated :? (Also I'm getting seasick, heh)

this is not my type of game but man that video is a ton of fun to watch ! Wow and apparently it's a true learning AI O_o ! impressive.I like how ridiculously unpredictable the AI seems ! I actually watched all of it lol ! I really recommend watching that vid through.

Anyways, it seems like a huge amount of work *bows in awe*

Looks great!

My comments/suggestions:

You've got a little line under the spider, you can see it when he jumps.

The waves are glitching out from the camera distance changing, which you should probably tweak eventually.

Do you plan to have multiple maps? eg. Snow Map, Tropical Map, Volcano Map... You could really do one for each biome, come to think of it.

The maximum charge form of Wilson's explosion seems too stretched. Try reverse mipmaps? (redrawn versions of the anim at different sizes so that it stretches less at any given size)

Archived