[Game Update] - 184137

• Developer
  • Fixed clothing graphical issue when wearing overalls on top of skirts.
  • Votes will now pass by majority as long as there is a minimum of 3 “Yes” votes.
  • Players kicked by voting will no longer be able to rejoin the server immediately. (This does not apply to Admin kicks, since the Admin can already choose to use timed or permanent bans instead.)

View full update

• Like 19

• Developer
16 minutes ago, leonseye said:

Excellent changes to the vote kick system.

Just out of curiosity, what is the default time period that a vote-kicked player needs to wait before they can rejoin a server?

The default is currently 10min, set from TUNING.VOTE_KICK_TIME

• Like 1

0100011000100... *hacking into Klei servers* ...1110010010...

*36 minutes later*

Now it should be a sleeping 8 amount of minutes when vote-kicking someone by default. Though I would have preferred if they dropped their inventory, lost their map and got sent back to portal/a spawn point far away from any structures too. Wait... 10000100011101100... it has been done >:)

57 minutes ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

0100011000100... *hacking into Klei servers* ...1110010010...

*36 minutes later*

Now it should be a sleeping 8 amount of minutes when vote-kicking someone by default. Though I would have preferred if they dropped their inventory, lost their map and got sent back to portal/a spawn point far away from any structures too. Wait... 10000100011101100... it has been done >:)

Spoiler

01001001 00100000 01100100 01101111 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01110101 01101110 01100100 01100101 01110010 01110011 01110100 01100001 01101110 01100100 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01101101 01101111 01110011 01110100 00100000 01101111 01100110 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01110100 01101001 01101101 01100101 00101100 00100000 01011000 01101001 01110010 01101101 01101001 01011000 00101110 

Edited by Weirdobob
ImDaMisterL, I swear, if you ruin this code, I will do... something.
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, DarkXItachi said:

cant players just abuse this power as well? I kept getting ban kicked recently for no reason at all

No matter what they do, a vote kick system can always be abused in the wrong hands. Every game has this issue, there's no way around it.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Weirdobob said:

No matter what they do, a vote kick system can always be abused in the wrong hands. Every game has this issue, there's no way around it.

That's a bit of a stretch, saying "there's no way around it". What about what I proposed earlier?

* Players can only start voting and vote-kicking when they reach day 10.

* There is a delay for those who start a vote for starting another vote for the same player if the previous one failed. The delay would decrease after every 10 days until day 50 when they can start vote-kicking players without a delay/with a very small delay.

* A player's vote-power/vote value would increase every 10 days by 1 point until day 50 when their vote power is at max (5 points).

This system has some flaws, I realize that, though it's better what we currently have. And besides, the voting system can be reworked and improved over time again with other changes that could improve the mechanic. Dealing with griefing/abusing mechqnics might not be always possible to completely deal with, however it doesn't mean we can't always improve it.

4 hours ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

That's a bit of a stretch, saying "there's no way around it". What about what I proposed earlier?

* Players can only start voting and vote-kicking when they reach day 10.

* There is a delay for those who start a vote for starting another vote for the same player if the previous one failed. The delay would decrease after every 10 days until day 50 when they can start vote-kicking players without a delay/with a very small delay.

* A player's vote-power/vote value would increase every 10 days by 1 point until day 50 when their vote power is at max (5 points).

This system has some flaws, I realize that, though it's better what we currently have. And besides, the voting system can be reworked and improved over time again with other changes that could improve the mechanic. Dealing with griefing/abusing mechqnics might not be always possible to completely deal with, however it doesn't mean we can't always improve it.

This prevents people from taking any action against griefers if, say, the only people on are all less than 10 days. 

Just keep the system to where its relatively normal and usable, and hey, if you get kicked off a server for no reason, maybe you shouldn't be on a server full of pricks anyway. -_0

Edited by Weirdobob
Trust me, if there was a good, fair way around this, other games would have implemented it too.
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Weirdobob said:

This prevents people from taking any action against griefers if, say, the only people on are all less than 10 days. 

Just keep the system to where its relatively normal and usable, and hey, if you get kicked off a server for no reason, maybe you shouldn't be on a server full of pricks anyway. -_0

Before day 10 most players probably don't even have a proper base established anyway. If it's something that starts to look like a base, then it probably won't have much to be sad about being burnt down it anyway. (I know this sentence has bad grammar, but my typing is glitched and I cannot erase some words/letters). Perhaps placing down prestihatitator and shadow manipulator once you're day 10 might be a wise choice in this scenario. Regardless, I don't see kicking or what not a too reliable method in and of itself and would favour preventative methods instead. But if we're having it in, might as well improve it.

"relatively normal and stable" that is what I am trying to do, because the current system isn't that at all. "and hey, if you get kicked off a server you probably shouldn't be on a server full of pricks anyway" how is this... I'm sorry, but your reasoning is just bad. First of all, you contradict yourself here with your first statement because the first one speaks in favour of a decent system, where as your second sentence says "**** it, your own fault" or something like that, which to me sounds a bit like victim blaming. And second of all, like how would anyone know whether a server has what you refer to as "pricks" on it? And what if you're on a friendly server and then after a few days of playing and being in mid-game days these "pricks" come in to kick everybody off it? So your solution is to not play on public servers? Instead of trying to improve public server mechanics you propose to just screw that and play privately forever? Or am I missing something here?

By "good" and "fair" do you mean perfect? Because that isn't what I'm expecting from what I've proposed, simply it being better than what we have right now. And I don't know what "other games" you're talking about. Mechanics of every game are quite different so if the same system works for one game doesn't necessarily mean it'll work for another.

(sorry if this double-posts. My edit button doesn't work!)

1 hour ago, Maris said:

No updates for long time. Something big is coming? :?

@JoeW said this in another thread.

We have some info on things coming soon. (This week unless something changes)

But to quickly (lol quickly) summarize an answer to your questions which center on why are we releasing new things instead of fixing other things. 

The simple answer is, we have been working on those other things since before the things you want fixed were even released, they just happen to be happening now because the team is finishing them. (see, simple!) And the majority of what's been released for DST lately has been bug fixes.  

That being said, we are working on other games for a few reasons. One, we want to, because we enjoy developing games. And two frankly it doesn't make sense for us to devote every resource into one single game. This has been the case since before Don't Starve, and it always will be. 

The simple fact is, everything we make; we get a ton of demand for more. That's not a humble brag, although it is flattering. Look at any release and we have people asking for more. We still get requests for more Shank, Mark of the Ninja and god knows how many different things for Don't Starve.  We aren't large enough to do everything all at once, and even when we have porting partners, we still need to be involved, and that takes resources. 

In terms of Don't Starve, go back and look at just about every release. The moment we do anything, we have a ton of requests for the next thing. We have a never ending queue of things we want to work on. 

When it comes to shipwrecked, frankly speaking, shipwrecked is a released game. We weren't setup for shipwrecked to get continued updates past launch. And we worked on shipwrecked well beyond the planned development to not only make it a DLC instead of standalone game, but to also integrate the games so you could move between DS and SW. 

But, before we can just tell you "Ok, let's get to fixin!" we have to have the resources to fix it. Besides that, we need to have a better sense of what needs to be fixed. As I mentioned a couple days ago, I am going to be opening the bugtracker for shipwrecked tomorrow so we can start getting some info together on what we need to work on there. 

Things change, and they change a lot. And as often as they do change, we try to make you all aware of it as soon as we are reasonably certain that we can commit to it. 

For example. We have known for quite some time that we want to look at the issues with Shipwrecked. However if we shifted resources to work on it, DST would be later, DST for PS4 wouldn't currently be in beta and we wouldn't be working on some other things that I can't talk about yet. ;) (sorry)

Anyway, the point is. I know you all want stuff. Shipwrecked for... everything, More content, PVP changes, more multiplayer content, bug fixes for all the things.  And I know you all want info, but we really do try to do our best to let you know when we know for sure which can be petty hard with so many things going on. And even then, we miss early estimates on releases all the time. (Spring 2015!)

We try to make the best experiences we can, and that's not going to change. If that means making people wait longer, that's what it's going to have to be. Not because we don't care, but because we do care.  

And I am not going to ask you to give us the benefit of the doubt, but I do ask that you look at how we do things and understand that not everybody wants the same thing.Tell us what you want, tell us what you need, express yourselves in constructive ways that show us what you like, and what you don't like. We'll all try to figure it out, and see what we can do. 

TL;DR: We try to do our best to prioritize based on what the most people want, what's best use of our resources and what we are capable of providing. When we know, you know. 

• Like 5