Tone down the Difficulty (Monsoon Season)

6 minutes ago, AnonymousKoala said:

Thats how Warly became utter ****. "ooh warly is op" "ooo warly is too stronk plz nerf" And now Wes starves less than Warly.

You can also just feed him Meaty Stew or Fresh Fruit Crepes ever 2 days and bypass his picky taste, making him lack in the "special gameplay" department too. I never thought we'd have a character worse than Willow but this DLC gave as 2. But anyway. Getting off-topic.

Monsoon Season is ridiculous until you realise how stupidly easy RoG became quite quickly. The only bit of RoG that is difficult is between days ~100-150, when the number of hounds spawning are often more than the number of tooth traps you have can deal with. But that's implying that you never went after MacTusk, in which case you're totally fine.

The thing with Shipwrecked is that there are prevention methods to all the challenges thrown at you, just like RoG. It's just that you aren't 100% certain that they're going to work, and you can't outright stop seasonal effects (excluding eruptions if you're obsessively dedicated) from having any effect on you. Whereas in RoG you could have an ice fling-o-matic, a snow chester and two thermal stones to completely wipe out the challenge of Summer, Shipwrecked doesn't let you do that. You could be squished by a volcano bomb and die instantly fairly easily, and there's no way to stop that outside of your own competence at dodging. Same applies to Hurricane Season, where structures can be destroyed by strong winds if they're on screen.

And, of course, Monsoon Season. Kinda. It confuses me why people find this season the hardest seeing that it's the only one with (theoretically) preventable effects, but whatever. Each to their own. I personally despise Hurricane Season, and find Monsoon Season rather fun.

2 minutes ago, Mr.P said:

I was mostly refering to Wooden Flooring since it's the simplest of Floorings to make. Sure every flooring Works but wooden one is the best since it's cheap to make compared to Snakeskinrugs (nned the Snakeskin for the Clothes and the Cloth for the Sandbags so it's more a waste tbh).

Wholeheartly agree. It's again a big part of the opportunitys that SW had and what they wasted because of the limited Development time (I don't care how long they had to fiddle around with the Engine the results we got is what counts). TBH both Hurricane and Monsoon are the points where i always get utterly bored and just don't wanna play anymore because there is just nothing to them other then preparing your base in Hurricane season for Monsoon Season and preparing for Dry Season during Monsoon Season. Sure you had similar things in RoG but there was always added stuff ontop of it like Winter obviously had the Mini Glaciers that you can mine for Ice for Summer but you also got Mc Tusk what you can go and fight for a very usefull reward (no matter what he drops for the first time).

They fiddled for a year and brought us V.1 which is a great base. Thing is, it was a base. It was not ready at all to be released like it eventually did.

SW has so much potential and its mood makes me want to play it as a main world and not RoG, but eveyrthing else makes it not work.

There's also how it tries to act like a cave(which is awesome), but also like a standalone. Would you play standalone caves? How about standalone ruins? Of course not.

Just now, TeoSS69 said:

You can also just feed him Meaty Stew or Fresh Fruit Crepes ever 2 days and bypass his picky taste, making him lack in the "special gameplay" department too. I never thought we'd have a character worse than Willow but this DLC gave as 2. But anyway. Getting off-topic.

Oh.

...Well that sucks even more.

Monsoon really isn't hard. It was harder when sandbags were bugged and didn't function correctly, but that's all been fixed from what I can tell. Use flooring to prevent puddles from spawning, and use sandbags to prevent puddles from spreading into your flooring from the outside.

Wetness is easy to deal with as well. In my Maxwell world below I don't care much since it doesn't drain his sanity, but you simpy make the snakeskin stuff to keep you dry, or stand under a palm hut in a pinch. Dumbrella is great too if you can find it in a chest.

Here's my second Monsoon thus far. While the outside the outside is completely flooded, the sandbags and flooring did their job and my machines still function.

LvFRI13.jpg

10 hours ago, voyager156 said:

Monsoon season is quite nice in my opinion! You can explore and do many other things :)

I think you are doing something wrong... First off, you should make wooden flooring and put sandbags around your base (you need to prepare this earlier). Make a Snakeskin Jacket & Snakeskin Hat for rain protection.

I hope those tips would be helpful :)

Thanks for your advice, i have done everything you said except the wooden floor. so you are saying that wooden floor counters the puddles or flood? i had my base in square shaped surrounded by stone walls and the 2nd layer was sandbags, honestly i don't think sandbag matter as much as i thought, yeah it helps to prevent the flood expanding but what if the puddle is formed inside your base which is random from rain etc (not from spreading).  I hope the wooden flooring at least makes it a little better.

10 hours ago, Asparagus said:

What you should really be worried about is "Volcanic death of raining lava rocks that seem to know where you are and destroy everything around you" season <__<

Yeah. Monsoon season wasn't too bad once I got a blubber suit and a seashell suit to protect against the mosquitoes. Then, I got crushed at the end of the Dry Season. It's honestly worse for exploring than monsoon season, since you can be sunk with just one stray volcanic rock. 

10 hours ago, TeoSS69 said:

Game is out of early access and this is not a problem.

Trial and error is the bread and butter of this game.

Stop complaining and adapt to the challenges in the game.

Please don't bring that attitude here, we can have a proper conversation. i love challenges but when a lot is thrown at your at the same time and you can only do a few things its not a challenge its just unfair. Random mosquito spawning is total nonsense even after you kill it, it spawns back in no time, that is just cheap, at the very least make the spawn time longer. Things like this is a valid argument to make, you have already got a lot in your hands. I am not Extreme Professional like you but i know I'm well above average player and it shouldn't be just a game for pros and i know that their target audience is not only for pro gamers.

Thanks for the info about the early access but that frankly worries me.

All I'm saying is the game needs to be tweaked or at the very least reasonable.

8 hours ago, GangStarrWoWp said:

The thing is, the game is tough when you first start but that's only because you have to learn all the mechanics first, after you understand it better it becomes super easy, so making something less difficult will just make it boring for when you get better. Best advice is just keep playing.

yeah your right, there is still much to learn

8 hours ago, Mr.P said:

TBH OP maybe you should reconsider your strategies and see if you just do something wrong. Lets go about it one step at a time

For starters the problem of flooding dissabeling structures well what if i told you that there are 2 things that completly negatre that stuff? They are called Wooden Flooring (you know the stuff people tend to ignore in RoG) and Sandbags.

2016-03-04_00002.jpg

Thanks for your Advice, i realize how important wooden flooring is. i knew about the seashell suit and other stuff it was just never achieved due to distraction from other things or problems.

6 hours ago, stl1234 said:

Here are some additional tips, which may be more applicable for a beginner:

Thanks for the effort you put in to help me out, yeah i will definitely keep that in mind. I look at wikis too a lot to help me out a bit hopefully i can overcome this.

5 hours ago, ShadowZHit said:

Please don't bring that attitude here, we can have a proper conversation.

I am not one for walls of text. Please don't get emotional over this.

when a lot is thrown at your at the same time and you can only do a few things its not a challenge its just unfair.

It's unfair when you can't do anything. Stl and Mr.P already showed you that you can do a lot.

Random mosquito spawning is total nonsense even after you kill it, it spawns back in no time, that is just cheap, at the very least make the spawn time longer.

They do extremely little damage when wearing a Seashell Suit and can be stunlocked. Once you prevent flooding you won't see them at all. Nonsense is blaming the game for your mistakes.

Things like this is a valid argument to make, you have already got a lot in your hands

No they're not. Far from it. All the dangers can be prevented, and you did nothing to prevent them. Hence the fault resides withing you, not the game, again.

I am not Extreme Professional like you but i know I'm well above average player and it shouldn't be just a game for pros and i know that their target audience is not only for pro gamers.

Don't inflate my skill level, and don't inflate yours either. If you say you're above average then act like it.

It doesn't need to be tweaked in that regard and it's already reasonable.  I repeat my self : Stop complaining and adapt to the challenges in the game. Things don't need to be nerfed to keep players in their comfort zone.

What is up with all these personal attacks @TeoSS69? T_T @ShadowZHit already accepted people's advises what he should have done and will do in the future...

6 hours ago, ShadowZHit said:

yeah your right, there is still much to learn

Thanks for your Advice, i realize how important wooden flooring is. i knew about the seashell suit and other stuff it was just never achieved due to distraction from other things or problems.

Thanks for the effort you put in to help me out, yeah i will definitely keep that in mind. I look at wikis too a lot to help me out a bit hopefully i can overcome this.

Help people out, don't bring them down T_T, you're going to scare people off of the game and guess who gets hurt: The game and the developers. You could have simply said "To survive this, do this and that." Seriously man, even the devs aren't that good in the game T_T

(sorry Klei, but... the streams XD)

Thanks for your advice, i have done everything you said except the wooden floor. so you are saying that wooden floor counters the puddles or flood? i had my base in square shaped surrounded by stone walls and the 2nd layer was sandbags, honestly i don't think sandbag matter as much as i thought, yeah it helps to prevent the flood expanding but what if the puddle is formed inside your base which is random from rain etc (not from spreading).  I hope the wooden flooring at least makes it a little better.

Not exactly.

See, floods don't spawn on tiles which are covered in craftable turf. So if my island was jungle turf, puddles could spawn everywhere. If my island was re-turfed into fully wooden(I only re-turf entirely when its a small island, which I like to use as a Moonsoon Base), then puddles won't spawn in these tiles.

Sandbags IMO still work more like sponges than actual sandbags. Which is why I always keep spare ones.

Moonsoon isn't impossible, it's just annoying.

9 hours ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

Monsoon really isn't hard. It was harder when sandbags were bugged and didn't function correctly, but that's all been fixed from what I can tell. Use flooring to prevent puddles from spawning, and use sandbags to prevent puddles from spreading into your flooring from the outside.

Wetness is easy to deal with as well. In my Maxwell world below I don't care much since it doesn't drain his sanity, but you simpy make the snakeskin stuff to keep you dry, or stand under a palm hut in a pinch. Dumbrella is great too if you can find it in a chest.

Here's my second Monsoon thus far. While the outside the outside is completely flooded, the sandbags and flooring did their job and my machines still function.

LvFRI13.jpg

(Just so you know you constantly make me want to play more Maxwell. Should I do it in SW or RoG? which one do you find better for Maxwell?)

You don't even have to find the dumbrella. try to find tiger shark island before moonsoon or during moonsoon, get resources for alchemy engine and prebuild it in case the world's already fully flooded when you kill Tiger Momma, get the few other ingrediants and voila. Enjoy your fancy rainproof hat.

6 hours ago, CaptainFun said:

Yeah. Monsoon season wasn't too bad once I got a blubber suit and a seashell suit to protect against the mosquitoes. Then, I got crushed at the end of the Dry Season. It's honestly worse for exploring than monsoon season, since you can be sunk with just one stray volcanic rock. 

Actually wearing armor makes it so the dragoon eggs cant kill you even on direct hits, and they result in resources, which is why I just let them happen on land or sacrifice in the altar.

Please don't bring that attitude here, we can have a proper conversation. i love challenges but when a lot is thrown at your at the same time and you can only do a few things its not a challenge its just unfair. Random mosquito spawning is total nonsense even after you kill it, it spawns back in no time, that is just cheap, at the very least make the spawn time longer. Things like this is a valid argument to make, you have already got a lot in your hands. I am not Extreme Professional like you but i know I'm well above average player and it shouldn't be just a game for pros and i know that their target audience is not only for pro gamers.

Thanks for the info about the early access but that frankly worries me.

A lot isn't thrown at the same time though.

First few days? Safe heaven. Then mild flooding starts. THEN the puddles become big enough to make you really wet and make sanity an issue(though it isnt with how easy banana pop and surf 'n' turf is to make), and then the musquitoes come.

Sure, there's also rain, but remember, the rain is the same as the puddles excet for possibly bringing lightnings with him, and rods don't stop working when flooded.

Basically I'm saying, either be in a base that survived hurricane and has sandbags to use as both "walls" and sponges(again, not that hard to get. Hurricane actually sets it up well by auto harvesting a lot of bamboo and stuff if its on screen), or go explore. 

31 minutes ago, TeoSS69 said:

It's unfair when you can't do anything. Stl and Mr.P already showed you that you can do a lot.

They do extremely little damage when wearing a Seashell Suit and can be stunlocked. Once you prevent flooding you won't see them at all. Nonsense is blaming the game for your mistakes.

No they're not. Far from it. All the dangers can be prevented, and you did nothing to prevent them. Hence the fault resides withing you, not the game, again.

Don't inflate my skill level, and don't inflate yours either. If you say you're above average then act like it.

It doesn't need to be tweaked in that regard and it's already reasonable.  I repeat my self : Stop complaining and adapt to the challenges in the game. Things don't need to be nerfed to keep players in their comfort zone.

I can't stress enough how much the adapt to the challanges is important.

First Dry season and moonsoon season? I was overwhelmed. Moonsoon overhwelmed me because its the first time in DS(except for winter and summer's effects on plants), where a seasonal hazard occurs everywhere, and not just where your screen is. I was unprepared and sandbags were glitchy and it screwed me over. 

And then I started realizing what to do, and then I had a reliable way of even exploiting the season. 

Dry used to be horrible for me before I realized there's a set amount of warnings before an eruption, the eggs dont instakill if you have armor on you, it has no smoldering, and it encourages you to explore.

After hurricane teaches you to stay in base and moonsoon teaches you to at least make sure your base is not that screwed, Dry comes to make you go away, and it works. Sure, there are other ways to "beat" it, but still.

4 minutes ago, Asparagus said:

personal attacks

Just stating the facts. Already told them to not get emotional and get hung up on it

you're going to scare people off of the game

You overestimate my influence.

"To survive this, do this and that."

That's what the wiki is for. Telling people how to survive shouldn't be the default thing to do either. Lots of people say it's better to find things on your own, then proceed to make detailed walkthroughs anytime one's stumped.

1 minute ago, TeoSS69 said:

Just stating the facts. Already told them to not get emotional and get hung up on it

You overestimate my influence.

That's what the wiki is for. Telling people how to survive shouldn't be the default thing to do either. Lots of people say it's better to find things on your own, then proceed to make detailed walkthroughs anytime one's stumped.

Honestly I always believed that the best way is letting someone figure out on their own, and then if they really need help, nudge them in the right direction.

I nudged my friend to make a miner hat when spelunking, after he kept complaining torches run out so quickly, for example. (Also having a noob friend provides with golden moments such as basing near a lone pighouse for no real reason)

*sigh* just saying, directing statements like that that belittle the reader will get the attention of moderators... this thread does not need to be locked for that.

I too started Don't Starve with trial and error, but we don't have to be jerks towards new players about it T_T. Anyone can be good at this game in time...

55 minutes ago, TeoSS69 said:

^^ T_T

Please don't bring that attitude here, we can have a proper conversation.

The OP himself felt being verbally tapped (attack would be too much, so I used "tapped") So it's not just me T_T The other forumers are doing a good job with guiding OP. Look, ok, I get it. I'll stop posting here. I just don't want this thread to start something from nothing T_T

4 minutes ago, TeoSS69 said:

A shame you things as either black or white.

Well to be fair Asp has a slight point. Sometimes you'r posts have this slightly passive-aggressive tone to them where even I start to just roll my eyes because it could have been said in a more friendly tone.

Maybe it's because you tend to write your posts in this short type and thus a lot of the original meaning gets lost amd because of that it sounds like you'r just going around telling everyone to " git gud scrub".

Now I'm not saying that you don't have a point since i aswell think that the OP just didn't do his best to addapt to the new Challenges but instead of telling him to basicly stop complaining I took the time and addressed all his issue in a friendly and helpfull manner.

42 minutes ago, Asparagus said:

The OP himself felt being verbally tapped

That's why I told them to not get emotional. Not being friendly (white) doesn't meant you're automatically a jerk (black).

40 minutes ago, Mr.P said:

words

It's because people are touchy, and they're quick to jump to conclusions.

As I've already cleared up, I meant nothing personal to OP and I didn't want to tell him what to do.

>B-but you're not friendly.
It's not mandatory. Be happy I'm not being an actual jerk either.

You people have any more issues with this, you can report me and stop derailing the thread any further.

Honestly @TeoSS69 if someone doesn't like your tone, then why are you acting like the child and keep responding if anything you should just stop, apologize, and let someone else take over that can word it more nicely.

And it's someone new to the forums and those slightly aggressive are probably gonna make him not want to come here again, and might even discourage others from joining the forums.

Archived