Anyone else thinking gold is too rare?

So, I've been playing as lot of SW recently, and I've started to notice the lack of gold in the world. 

Having me beeline across the map to find a biome with even a single piece of gold just ruins the otherwise fun expansion. Gold is such an essential resource in DS, making it this rare limits you a lot, especially in the early game because you can only make slower rafts, and if you happen to find gold, you might not even be able to get it because you need a shovel to get.

For starting, gold can be tough to find. I mostly find it easily when walking around Jungle Biomes. I was able to set up an Alchemy Engine in 4 days. Not to mention, there's easy ways to get gold later on as well. Refining dubloons is a "renewable" way, but now that there's the Seaworthy you can just go to RoG and just give stuff to the pig king.

Don't wait to find volcano biome to get gold, make a pickaxe and get gold from any veins you find, especially in jungles. There really isn't a shortage of gold in this game when you take into account jungle biomes.

If anything I'd love it if Klei made it even harder to get gold in SW so that we'd have to get them in RoG

It's rarer than RoG to be sure but it's not too rare in my opinion. In the last game I had 2 stacks of gold after only 3 islands. In my current game I have only 1 gold nugget after 6 islands but I also have a doydoy so it balances out.

At the start the gold veins scattered through out the jungle biomes are your answer. Don't forget to collect every scrap of flint you can find as well.

i think it would be nice, once the world customization settings are in place, to have the option to enable gold on the starting island.  Sometimes you just want a quick start and if you get an unlucky map it can take 7+ days to find any gold.

I think it is perfectly balanced now, especially with a dublons as secondary gold source. Scarcity of gold encourages player to constantly exploring. If gold would be more abundant like in RoG players would tend to sitting in one place and whole idea of sea world would be miserable mistake.

On 2/17/2016 at 4:01 PM, Mildcream said:

So, I've been playing as lot of SW recently, and I've started to notice the lack of gold in the world. 

Nope, you not alone in thinking this, I've noticed it too.

Awful lot of people who think 'I found some gold in my game so obviously you're wrong.' is a convincing argument.

Sometimes it's a problem and sometimes it isn't. I usually come back from the slot machine with enough gold to replenish my stock. Now that obsidian is easier to get, I don't really need gold for luxury tools, so it's basically just for cutlasses, and I've got plenty. There's tons of unmined gold on my current map because I don't need much.

2 hours ago, hotflungwok said:

Nope, you not alone in thinking this, I've noticed it too.

Awful lot of people who think 'I found some gold in my game so obviously you're wrong.' is a convincing argument.

In my previous playthrough, I had so much gold. If throwing a gold nugget would deal 10 dmg then I could have killed a deerclops with the gold I had. Finding is not a question of rarity but how many islands you discovered.

Assuming the gold chance stays constant as it does, the only thing that differs between players is the number of islands discovered. By day 10 I have enough gold to make a alchemy engine a lightning rod and a ice box almost. 10 out of 10 worlds I generated all had enough gold for me.

Having run through multiple worlds while putting together an ideal strategy for nomad play, I've never spent more than 5 days before finding gold.  And when it did take me that much (or 3/4 days) I would have generally found many more things and various other useful biomes which really help tide me over.  Don't sit on the starting island, scavenge the resources you need, and head out to the sea and explore.  As others said, once you hit a jungle biome you're almost guaranteed of spotting a gold vein if you look around well enough.

I actually found the last update (and maybe even the one prior to that?) has made gold easier to come by. There is almost always one jungle island that is littered with gold rocks + gold rocks in general seem to be a bit more common. I guess on the other hand it really depends on map gen (whether or not different biomes/resources are far from each other).

Archived