Dedicated Server Quick Setup Guide - Windows

I ran the server successfully, but ran into a problem with none of the mods being applied.

Using a solution from a person named Maoo, the mod was applied to the server.

I have a question.

What is the difference between appending "::" at the beginning and end of the first line in the BAT file content and not adding it?

If you run it without "::" as a method guided by the developer, the mode will not be downloaded and applied, but if you run it in the way Maoo guides you, it will be applied.

Then, is it possible to run BAT files without "::" in the future?
Or, can you just run the BAT file without "::" once, and then run the BAT file with "::"?

I'm so curious.

::c:\steamcmd\steamcmd.exe +login anonymous +app_update 343050 validate +quit::
cd "c:\steamcmd\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server\bin"
start dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer -console -cluster MyDediServer -shard Master
start dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer -console -cluster MyDediServer -shard Caves

c:\steamcmd\steamcmd.exe +login anonymous +app_update 343050 validate +quit
cd /D "c:\steamcmd\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server\bin"
start dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer -console -cluster MyDediServer -shard Master
start dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer -console -cluster MyDediServer -shard Caves

Hi there, I would like to ask if there is a way to choose where the dedicated server is located? So far it chooses either the US or Singapore. My friend in China wants to play but both servers are too laggy for him.

Is there a way to force input the dedicated server closer to him?

On 5/5/2021 at 5:26 AM, LascarWreath said:

Hi there, I would like to ask if there is a way to choose where the dedicated server is located? So far it chooses either the US or Singapore. My friend in China wants to play but both servers are too laggy for him.

Is there a way to force input the dedicated server closer to him?

since you installed it on your pc it will run from your pc so its located wherever your pc is located

On 4/15/2021 at 7:15 AM, Missing2135 said:

I ran the server successfully, but ran into a problem with none of the mods being applied.

Using a solution from a person named Maoo, the mod was applied to the server.

I have a question.

What is the difference between appending "::" at the beginning and end of the first line in the BAT file content and not adding it?

If you run it without "::" as a method guided by the developer, the mode will not be downloaded and applied, but if you run it in the way Maoo guides you, it will be applied.

Then, is it possible to run BAT files without "::" in the future?
Or, can you just run the BAT file without "::" once, and then run the BAT file with "::"?

I'm so curious.

Hello, Missing2135, I'm a beginner too. I found something which might have some thing to do with what you are asking for. In the first line, :: means annotation, which has the same function with # in python or // in C++. The rest of the first line just update the game itself and has nothing to do with the mod. There is a file named dedicated_server_mods_setup.lua in your server(you can use software 'everything' to find it) and this file controls the update of your server mod.

That's all I know, maybe the first line influenced the function of the lua file and make the mod can't update regularly, I guess.

On 2/12/2016 at 6:30 AM, V2C said:

1. Download and install SteamCMDClick here to download

2. Visit the Klei Accounts site and log in to your account. (Please note, Dedicated Servers are not supported for the Xbox and PlayStation versions of the game.)

Reveal hidden contents

2_login_ku.png

3. On the accounts page, visit the “GAMES” tab, then scroll down to Don’t Starve Together and click on the “Game Servers” button.

Reveal hidden contents

3_gameservers.png

4. If you don’t have any server yet, please click the “ADD NEW SERVER” button. If you have a valid server, click the green “CONFIGURE” button. Expired servers are colored in red and should be deleted.

Hide contents

add_new_server.jpg

5. In the “Configure Server” page you will find a form with some options that you can edit to customize your server. Once you are ready, click the “Download Settings” button. Download the Zip archive, extract the content, and place the folder “MyDediServer” inside \\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\.

Hide contents

configure_server.jpg

mydediserver.png

6. Copy and save the following text to:

• \\Documents\Klei\StartDSTServers.bat
  Hide contents

cd /D "c:\steamcmd\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server\bin64"
start dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer_x64 -console -cluster MyDediServer -shard Master
start dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer_x64 -console -cluster MyDediServer -shard Caves

Please Note: You will need to fix the file pathing if the steamcmd or the game’s folders were not installed in the default location.

7. Checklist of all the files you should have now:

Reveal hidden contents
  • \\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\MyDediServer\cluster_token.txt
  • \\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\MyDediServer\cluster.ini
  • \\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\MyDediServer\Master\server.ini
  • \\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\MyDediServer\Caves\server.ini
  • \\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\MyDediServer\Caves\worldgenoverride.lua

8. Double-click StartDSTServers.bat to start your dedicated servers!

why it shows this

2021-10-04 (24).png

Hello @Ali Salman, based on what you posted. It seems you didn't properly installed SteamCMD.

This guide by default requires you to install SteamCMD to the following location c:\steamcmd\steamcmd.exe in Step 1. In your screenshot, it says that i does not exist because you are in the incorrect folder location anyway.

The location "C:\Users\ldhhb\OneDrive\??????????\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether..."  does not have dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer_x64.exe. The executable file called dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer_x64 will be automatically downloaded by SteamCMD if you have the confirmed the following:

• SteamCMD is in the correct default location <- Step 1
  • You have downloaded and extracted the correct DST server files <- Steps 2 to 5
  •  Have a batch file manually created with the name StartDSTServers.bat. <- Step 6 to 8

To explain further Step 6 requires that you create a batch file that will AUTOMATICALLY execute the command lines:

cd /D "c:\steamcmd\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server\bin64"
start dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer_x64 -console -cluster MyDediServer -shard Master
start dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer_x64 -console -cluster MyDediServer -shard Caves

To create it, follow below:

• Open notepad
  • Copy the text above from "c:\steamcmd\steamcmd.exe...." up to "....-cluster MyDediServer -shard Caves"
  • Paste into notepad
  • Click File
  • Click Save As
  • Click Save As File Type and set to All Files (*.*)
  • In filename, write text "StartDSTServers.bat"
  • Save to anywhere on your PC, I recommend in your documents folder

The file that is generated will be what you use to LAUNCH the servers. Once you have followed all the steps above, just double click on your StartDSTServers.bat file that you made in your documents folder.

• Big Ups 1

Hi there,

Thanks for the detailed guide. Really helpful.

I'm trying to set up my own dedicated server. Followed the instructions to install steamcmd, but when trying to fix the pathing in step 6, my steamcmd folder does not have the steamapps\common folder to run the file. The error message is "Windows cannot find 'downstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer_x64'. 

I need the steamcmd\steamapps folder to add the mods into the world (i think?). Would be great if I can get some help here. Image4 shows the code that 'works' but I'm not sure how to mod it without the steamapps folder.

Thanks

--

Image1: my .bat file

image.thumb.png.fa59087d4dd6caaaa5f005233980c7e8.png

Image2: screenshot of my steamcmd folder - missing steamsapps\common folder

image.png.4c5869281b97a4418dcc2d96823f2a6a.png

image3: screenshot of my Steam folder - with the steamsapps\common folder

image.png.aec58d7d4bf63eba312b19258fbd4b05.png

image4: modified the second path to the steam folder and this enables me to open the game up to character selection screen in game.

image.thumb.png.9fc80da73525cb449a1ec44f002f9ca6.png

Edited by xx_xx

On 2/11/2016 at 10:30 PM, V2C said:

6. Copy and save the following text to:

i can't find this folder how do i get it

Edited by 8win
found new problem

could i get some help? 
[00:00:28]: THREAD - started 'FilesExistAsyncThread' (10288)
[00:00:28]: FilesExistAsyncThread started (20261 files)...
[00:00:28]: Check for write access: TRUE
[00:00:28]: Check for read access: TRUE
[00:00:28]: Available disk space for save files: 832785 MB
[00:00:28]: ModIndex: Load sequence finished successfully.
[00:00:28]: Reset() returning
[00:00:28]: [200] Account Failed (6): "E_INVALID_TOKEN"
[00:00:28]: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[00:00:28]: !!!! Your Server Will Not Start !!!!
[00:00:28]: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[00:00:28]: No auth token could be found.
[00:00:28]: Please visit https://accounts.klei.com/account/game/servers?game=DontStarveTogether
[00:00:28]: to generate server configuration files
[00:00:28]:
[00:00:28]: Alternatively generate a cluster_token you can
[00:00:28]: open the console from a logged-in game
[00:00:28]: client with the tilda key (~ / ù) and type:
[00:00:28]: TheNet:GenerateClusterToken()
[00:00:28]: This will create 'cluster_token.txt' in
[00:00:28]: your client settings directory. Copy this
[00:00:28]: into your cluster settings directory.
[00:00:28]: [Connect] PendingConnection::Reset(true)
[00:00:36]: ... FilesExistAsyncThread complete

this is on both of the tabs