Dedicated Server Quick Setup Guide - Windows

48 minutes ago, dietrech said:

Anyone have any idea why my dedicated server doesn't show up on the list anymore? Is it because of the recent update?

Yes, that is very likely.

The client's server browser shows only servers with the same version. Updating them both to the same version should fix that.

Whenever I run the .bat file, it shows up a bunch of error messages.

"The program can't start because fmod_event.dll is missing..."

"The program can't start because fmodex.dll is missing..."

"The program can't start because twitchsdk_32_release.dll is missing..."

"The program can't start because steam_api.dll is missing..."

I re-did the instructions twice, still the same problem. 

@Zillvr I know this is an old post but I created a server with this method but it only works while online. I want to be able to play offline as my internet is not stable enough. Is there a way to do this to play just in offline lan?

@Eriveg, welcome to the forums. I haven't personally done this myself but I believe the only thing you need to do is to go edit and open the cluster.ini file that should be located in (Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\MyDediServer\cluster.ini) then you would only have to enter the following line under the [NETWORK] tag:

offline_cluster = true

Here's the Dedicated Server Settings Guide that discusses the other things you can place in the cluster.ini and server.ini to further tweak your server which also explains each of their specific purpose in the .ini files.

I hope that helps, cheers.

@ZillvrI tried that and the server starts in offline but neither me or my gf can see it. On the bright side I created a shortcut to the default dedicated server nullrenderer.exe that is in the game files, added the command -offline and it worked like a charm :) . Is there a way to add a caves server to that?

@Eriveg if you're following this guide, you'd just have to tweak the commands used in the .bat file that you generate in Step 11. Notice that the included command line in that .bat file is:

start dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer -console -cluster MyDediServer -shard Caves

So using the same method you did with the first, just add the -offline tag and don't forget to generate the necessary files mentioned in this guide.

@Zillvr Just to be sure, I have to add the command -offline in both servers right? So it would be like this:

c:\steamcmd\steamcmd.exe +login anonymous +app_update 343050 validate +quit
cd /D "c:\steamcmd\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server\bin"
start dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer -offline -console -cluster MyDediServer -shard Master
start dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer -offline -console -cluster MyDediServer -shard Caves

Helo . 

i have question about Mod . after i follow everything in page 1 my server include Cave running but . all my mod inside folder 

C:\SteamCMD\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server\mods

D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together\mods

but mod wont run T_T and 

Spoiler

GAMEPLAY]
game_mode = survival
max_players = 3
pvp = false
pause_when_empty = true

[NETWORK]
cluster_description = Sai Server
cluster_name = Sai Indonesia Server
cluster_intention = cooperative
cluster_password = 

[MISC]
console_enabled = true

[SHARD]
shard_enabled = true
bind_ip = 127.0.0.1
master_ip = 127.0.0.1
master_port = 10889
cluster_key = supersecretkey

and this my cluster.ini some how in game my server show 16 limit player , Why ? 

thanks for reading my poor english

1. Download and install SteamCMDClick here to download

It might be a good idea to add that SteamCMD must be installed here - "C:\steamcmd\" otherwise you will get the error "Windows cannot find 'dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer' ".

Which was the main issue I was having. And thank you for the instructions~

Edited by Pcell

Hello @sai05, welcome to the forums. If you have all the mod folders called workshop-### in SteamCMD\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server\mods taken from Steam\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together\mods. You also have to remember that you need to generate a modoverrides.lua file (that would be placed under both the Master and the Caves folder of your MyDediServer).

I'd recommend a method that would probably be best when making modoverrides.lua, cause with this method you wouldn't have to fiddle around with typing out every data and making sure you're using the right syntax. This involves generating an in-client server with mods that you want to use configured to the way you want it to and then just copying it over to your own dedicated server's folder. The method is as follows:

Hide contents
  • Start up DST
  • Click Host Game
  • Click New Server in Slot 1
  • Set the server intention in the Server Settings so the world can start
  • Toggle the mods you want to use
  • Configure the mods as you see fit
  • You don't have to make caves for this
  • Once done, generate the world
  • Once connected to the world, disconnect from the server
  • Go to this location Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\Cluster_1\
  • Under the Master folder, get the modoverrides.lua and that is the modoverrides.lua you'd want to use for your server
  • Now paste that modoverrides.lua in your own dedicated server
  • There should be a modoverrides.lua file in both the Master and Caves folder of your dedicated server

With regards to the 16 player limit, it could be due to GAMEPLAY] missing the opening bracket "[". Are you sure you only forgot to highlight all of the text to copy and paste it here? If you're 100% sure that's the exact content of your cluster.ini then you're missing the opening bracket for the GAMEPLAY tag.

Good luck, cheers.

Could you please tell me in this version, witch folder should I put adminlist.txt in to add other administrators to my server?

And how to keep my mods up to date evrytime I start my server?

I'm not good at English ,wish you can understand me......

On 7/16/2016 at 4:30 AM, Schinnen said:

So has anyone figured out how to add mods to this? I have been all over this post and the internet and I can not get it to work.

The method I mentioned directly above yours should work, if you follow this Quick Setup Guide to the letter then it should work.

On 7/20/2016 at 11:06 PM, harukidesu said:

Could you please tell me in this version, witch folder should I put adminlist.txt in to add other administrators to my server?

And how to keep my mods up to date evrytime I start my server?

I'm not good at English ,wish you can understand me.....

The adminlist.txt should be place in the root folder of the server, based on this Quick Setup Guide your adminlist.txt should be place in this directory (\\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\MyDediServer\adminlist.txt). I believe the adminlist.txt should be directely beside the cluster.ini file and cluster_token.txt.

On 7/25/2016 at 1:24 AM, GoldenSkyRunner said:

[Error] Master Server Broadcast Error: DB_FAIL

that keeps on repeating in the command prompt??? help?

That seems to already have been fixed by now, can you confirm whether or not it works? (source)

Hello @TheChainWarden, welcome to the forums. Have you made sure you installed SteamCMD in drive c? This guide assumes you're installing steamcmd in this location (C:\steamcmd) and not on your desktop or anywhere else. The error appears means that the location stated in the contents of StartDSTServers.bat don't exist yet. Make sure that steamcmd exist in the correct location.

Good luck, cheers.

Can someone confirm if is possible to join an offline cluster while Steam is on offline mode?

I can't see the server in the list, but I can see "unconnected ping my.ip.number|somenumber(port or pid maybe?)" in the server's console window.

Just to clarify, I have no internet connection, so I'm running a dedi with "-offline cluster" parameter, but I'm unable to see/join the server.

Not sure why DST Lan wouldn't work with Steam Offline Mode, but anyways, I can't think of anything else.

Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure if this has been answered before, but I couldn't seem to find the solution.  I followed all the steps of the guide copying and pasting the spoilers into notepad and labeled accordingly.  My dedicated server does run and does have sinkholes but once you enter a sink  hole you enter another forest overworld map instead of caves map.  

I do have 

return {
    override_enabled = true,
    preset = "DST_CAVE",
}

in a worldgenoverride.lua in my Caves folder 

This PC > Documents > Klei > DoNotStarveTogether > MyDediServer > Caves

Edited by Unwelcome

On ‎13‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 5:13 AM, Unwelcome said:

I'm not sure if this has been answered before, but I couldn't seem to find the solution.  I followed all the steps of the guide copying and pasting the spoilers into notepad and labeled accordingly.  My dedicated server does run and does have sinkholes but once you enter a sink  hole you enter another forest overworld map instead of caves map.  

I do have 

return {
    override_enabled = true,
    preset = "DST_CAVE",
}

in a worldgenoverride.lua in my Caves folder 

This PC > Documents > Klei > DoNotStarveTogether > MyDediServer > Caves

Same problem :(

3 hours ago, PandoMish said:

Though this method of automatic generating modoverrides.lua and worldgenoverride.lua files has been mentioned in some topic(s), i decided to share it on screenshots. With hope that it'll help someone somehow.

Hide contents

1.jpg2.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg10.jpg11.jpg12.jpg13.jpg14.jpg15.jpg

Have I mentioned my eternal gratitude for this?

I think I did, but repetition cannot hurt.

• Like 1