Firstly I would just like to say that Don't Starve from when it came out on beta to its most recent update has been and I'm sure will continue to be what a game should be, difficult, time consuming and entertaining.

I would like to put forward some ideas to be discussed and expanded upon, as Don't Starve is a game where one thing can lead to multiple.

So here are my suggestions...

- Wilson's Shadow:

• A new enemy type that has a chance of occurring at sunset.

• You would be notified of its coming at day break where some time during the previous night Wilson has lost his shadow.

• When the shadow comes during the sun set you will have to kill it like everything else.

• To expand upon this you could also have the players character take more damage or lose health slowly in the sun until he or she retrieves the shadow back by defeating it.

-Crows and Farming:

• Farms in the game can be exploited to just live of them forever and not have to venture out to find other food sources.

• So a way to stop this from happening would be to make crows or some other animal perhaps SNAILS which can just hide away in their shells when attacked so another method would have to be used to remove them.

• With the farms at risk from attackers items like scarecrows and mesh can be used to prevent this from happening but to also prevent the outcome of a user creating an item that will just sit there and last forever, adding durability to this prevention system may add the extra edge.

Any way that's all from me for now, still have a few more suggestions but I will end it with just the two for now.

Good job on a great game, keep up the good work

- Wilson's Shadow:

*A new enemy type that has a chance of occurring at sunset.

*You would be notified of its coming at day break where some time during the previous night Wilson has lost his shadow.

*When the shadow comes during the sun set you will have to kill it like everything else.

*To expand upon this you could also have the players character take more damage or lose health slowly in the sun until he or she retrieves the shadow back by defeating it.

Ah yes, Wilson's shadow. Ever since the Devs posted artwork of the evil "shadow Wilson" on the game's main page players have been coming up with suggestions for it, not that that's a bad thing. :)

To date the most common suggestion involved there being an event at some point past Day 100, where you're told during sunrise that there's going to be an eclipse. Moments later it starts to get dark and the normal daylight becomes sunset. During this event Wilson's shadow comes to life and attack him with an axe. If you can kill shadow Wilson before nightfall then it unlocks him as a new character (one who doesn't eat/hunger, only fully heals every sunrise, is permanently equipped with an axe that never breaks, dies instantly if caught in darkness/needs light... it's a shadow after all). The difficulty here is that shadow Wilson, or "Milson" as I called him, cannot use any of the tools or weapons that require the hand slot and that includes the torch. He doesn't need to worry about food, but he also cannot heal if he's in trouble during combat. I thought it would make for a very different type of game based on these limitations.

-Crows and Farming:

*Farms in the game can be exploited to just live of them forever and not have to venture out to find other food sources.

*So a way to stop this from happening would be to make crows or some other animal perhaps SNAILS which can just hide away in their shells when attacked so another method would have to be used to remove them.

*With the farms at risk from attackers items like scarecrows and mesh can be used to prevent this from happening but to also prevent the outcome of a user creating an item that will just sit there and last forever, adding durability to this prevention system may add the extra edge.

Yes, the idea of birds eating crops has been suggested, as well as using scarecrows to scare them off. In fact, some players with coding skills determined the word "scarecrow" is inside the game's code already. The generally accepted idea here is that birds would eat seeds planted by the player in the farm plot if it's left undefended (i.e. player scares away birds or uses a scarecrow). Once the crop grows beyond a seedling then birds no longer become an issue, however any nearby rabbits now start hopping over to take a taste of your crop, requiring the same effort to keep them at bay. Also the Devs suggested they will be adding walls once they've upgraded the AI pathfinding for creatures in the game, so walls would help keep rabbits out.

I don't think anyone has suggested snails before. Would they be normal size or giant?

Lastly, in another thread that discussed food rot (a new concept the Devs are running by players here on the forum) it was suggested that after crops mature if they are not harvested in a few days (7 days) they rot and become useless.

I don't think anyone has suggested snails before. Would they be normal size or giant?

Someone was talking about giant snails at somepoint if I recall...

I will add in the future the durability factor to the scarecrow in my "fairytales" suggestion, it's true I didn't talk about that one.

Someone was talking about giant snails at somepoint if I recall...

Link or it didn't happen. :p

I will add in the future the durability factor to the scarecrow in my "fairytales" suggestion, it's true I didn't talk about that one.

Yes, your scarecrow looked very interesting as I recall. Did its crafting recipe use: grass, rope, sticks, a pumpkin and a straw hat? I ask because I see that's 5 items and I think the limit is set to 4. Maybe eliminate the rope... but then I keep wondering about clothes for it, like the Dapper Vest. Oh well.

Hmmm. Durability for the scarecrow... how would that work? Is it based on a set number of days? Or on the suggestion that hounds will attack a scarecrow before they attack you? Potentially destroying it. Once winter is introduced we'll have seasons... so maybe we could even have it that winter destroys the scarecrow (not that any crops will be growing during winter anyway), but it would leave crops in a pickle come Spring, as odds are rot would have destroyed any pumpkins that weren't eaten/preserved/cooked so you would need to grow a replacement first.

Link or it didn't happen. :p

This ? http://forums.kleientertainment.com/showthread.php?2275-The-Snul-And-the-cloths

Yes, your scarecrow looked very interesting as I recall. Did its crafting recipe use: grass, rope, sticks, a pumpkin and a straw hat? I ask because I see that's 5 items and I think the limit is set to 4. Maybe eliminate the rope...

I didn't add any rope in my recipe :) So it's exactly as you said.

Durability for the scarecrow... how would that work? Is it based on a set number of days? Or on the suggestion that hounds will attack a scarecrow before they attack you? Potentially destroying it. Once winter is introduced we'll have seasons... so maybe we could even have it that winter destroys the scarecrow (not that any crops will be growing during winter anyway), but it would leave crops in a pickle come Spring, as odds are rot would have destroyed any pumpkins that weren't eaten/preserved/cooked so you would need to grow a replacement first.

Winter destroying it is good. Unless winter takes too long to come. Other wise, when the scarerow is "swipping" to scare off the animals, he might be slower and slower in his animation, until the moment where he doesn't seems to have any more strengh in his arms and just lays there, like some lifeless (normal) scarecrow. You could just hammer it and rebuild a new one. Unless maybe you have an idea of feeding it with something to give it new life ? the amulet maybe ?

Why a scarecrow? That's so ordinary. Let's make a Smallbird Guardian for those crows. Like you can craft a nest for the smallbirds, and you can place a smallbird in there. The smallbird will then chase every creature that's smaller than him until it's out of a certain area and will stay by the nest until you rightclick him or something.

Cmon', you know you you want a smallbird guardian more than a scarecrow!