what if Maxwell is Wilson's father or uncle or some important male father-figure type role, and he either hates Wilson (because he did something bad, for which he is now being punished) or surviving is some right of passage for the alchemist. that would be a twist... lol

any other good theories/ideas?

It's all an allegory for moving out of home.

-You, *insert character here*, are being kicked out by your father, Maxwell, who will always seem to you to be so tall and foreboding

-Each character has their own insecurities:

-Wilson is afraid about his hygiene, with the only thing he's confident in keeping up being his physical appearance, ie shaving

-Willow is afraid that she'll take too many shortcuts and mess something up, like burning her house down

-Wendy is afraid of being alone, surviving only with the guidance (ghost) of a sibling

-Wolfgang is afraid he can't live up to his father's manliness, afraid that he can't be tough enough to live alone

-Your main motivation seems to be to get food, but ultimately that never really ends up being a problem

-The monsters all represent different fears that one faces when first moving out

-The Tallbird represents strangers

-Krampus is a fear of repercussions for making mistakes, such as leaving your home exposed to thieves

-The spiders are problems that are unavoidable, but that you'll need to consciously face, things like having to be aware of your own alarm clock, getting insurance, paying bills, etc

-The hounds represent unpredictable happenstances, such as gas leaks, power outages, and for the hellhound, house fires

-Weighing out health and hunger symbolizes weighing out price and healthiness in real life when buying groceries

-And of course, the world around you is a big, unfamiliar world in which you have been thrown.

I see Maxwell as being a kind of a scumbag demon who takes enjoyment out of watching you suffer for eternity in his little realm. The world of DS being Hell and the other characters paying for their sins. Another thing, it's possible the characters each represent one of the 7 deadly sins.

Wilson - Pride from his continuous search for knowledge. He thinks his work is the best maybe.

Willow - Burning down everything? Definitely Wrath.

Wendy - Not sure, but whatever one is associated with suicides. Or Sloth? I've no clue.

Wolfgang - I guess Gluttony, he does eat more than the others after all. Alternately Pride in his muscles?

So I guess I'm saying Maxwell is the devil in this case.

Wendy - Not sure, but whatever one is associated with suicides. Or Sloth? I've no clue.

Wilson - Pride from his continuous search for knowledge. He thinks his work is the best maybe.

Wendy? Sloth? Why? And I won't count Wendy as suicidle, just disturbed. Her twin sister is dead, who wouldn't become all shut in and disturbed if a very close relative of theirs dies?

And Wilson is a gentleman scientist.

Edited by Wilson P. Higgsbury

or they could be just paying their sins for the misdoings they've been doing.

Wilson - Ratting out to the Nazis Nationalists (The term "Nazis" didn't exist until WWII) during the Great War and died in a lab accident (only being two years after the War, Im sure this is viable)

Willow - Performing arson, only to succumb to the fires she, herself, made.

Wendy - Grave robbing to keep her poor sister alive in the hospital. Dies out of heartache after Abigail has passed.

Wolfgang - Works as an officer to the Soviets. Dies from an accident during a workout session.

Edited by ScienceMachine

Wendy? Sloth? Why? And I won't count Wendy as suicidle, just disturbed. Her twin sister is dead, who wouldn't become all shut in and disturbed if a very close relative of theirs dies?

And Wilson is a gentleman scientist.

I dunno, I couldn't think of one for her so I just put it in hastily. A mistake on my part. As for the suicide, [potential triggers?]

me and Lee thought that maybe both of them planned a double suicide but Wendy either couldn't go through with it or there was intervention and Abby didn't make it.
Either way, I agree that no matter the reason of death, Wendy definitely seems very disturbed. It's highly likely she feels guilt as well, that she could have prevented it among a list of other possibilities.

Also, my apologies for the rant.

Wendy - Grave robbing to keep her poor sister alive in the hospital. Dies out of heartache after Abigail has passed.

At first my brain thought you were implying she was attaching other limbs to her sister in a kind of Frankenstein manner (I should re-read that, I think I'm missing something vital here). Then I read over it again, you meant she would grave rob and sell the ill-gotten goods, yeah?

So... Wilson's a mad scientist that's helping Wendy piece together the pieces of her dead twin sister, Abigail. Wolfgang, as a strongman, is doing all of the heavy lifting of machinery and body parts, and Willow acts as Wilson's lab assistant, being that she can light bunsen burners with a snap of her fingers.

But, Willow accidentally sets the lab on fire, and they all end up burning to death. Maxwell is, as is the common theory, the devil, punishing them for their actions against nature by forcing them to survive in it.

I think the relations are either of these:

Wilson is the fater of Willow

Wilson and Willow are the parents of Wendy

Wolfgang is either Wilson's brother, dad, or friend

Maxwell is either an evil entity, an alchemist like Wilson, Wilson's dad or Wilson's son (yet I'd bet on more of a father figure)