Add additional ways to cure poisoning

The poison mechanic is way too circumstantial because the numbers of actions required to get 1 anti-venom is overwhelming in the early days. The ingredients are scattered across the map and awful spawn rate of Poison Snakes (and in turn venom-glands) makes it even worse. If the player is lucky to obtain Poisonous Holes and own a shovel there might a chance of survival. Not to mention we have to unlock the anti-venom using a science machine (Wicker being an exception). Stocking up on anti-venom in later days is sanity draining and risky due to all mosquitoes stinging you over and over again.

In order to cure poisoning the following actions must be done:

- Build raft and pickaxe

- Find gold

- Build science machine

- Collect 3 Seaweed

- Find coral reef and collect 2 corals

- Farm poison snakes or find poisonous holes

- Grab that precious venom gland

- Unlock anti-venom recipe

- Yay! You're cured and very low on health and resources...

This is just silly complicated.

I do not suggest poisoning and it's effects to be nerfed, BUT it would be great with a SIMPLER anti-poisoning recipe. Make it require more resources but don't scatter them across the entire map and remove the science machine limit. If Shipwrecked goes multiplayer (some day...) people will live hell if they spawn during Monsoon season and those pesky Mosquitoes.

EDIT:

1: There could be a time or HP limit to poisoning?

2: A simpler anti-venom recipe could remove the poison effect at a slower rate.

3: The anti-venom recipe we have now could be the upgrade that removes poisoning instantly (like honey poultice, upgrade of spider gland).

I can see what you mean by making anti venom easier to craft in the earlier days, but as I see it right now, it's fine as it is.

Right now, there's only a select few ways of being poisoned.

Being attacked by:

Poisonous Mosquito

Spider Warriors (Shipwrecked Version, of course.)

Yellow Snakes

Poisonous Holes

and finally, Stink Rays.

Out of all these ways, I'm not too certain about how a player would manage to get poisoned so early on in shipwrecked. Since Poisonous Mosquitos only spawn in Monsoon season, you should have a base by then. Poisonous Snakes are outright easy to fight, and worst case scenario, you can just run. As for Spider Warriors, if you're careful with how to farm spiders, you shouldn't even encounter these buggers. Poison holes can be dug up for an easy chance at a gland if you're patient, and Stink Rays should be avoided/ran away from early on.

Despite all this, via the usage of the seashell suit, it's possible to completely stop yourself from getting poisoned by a yellow snake/spider warrior/poisonous mosquito, thus making the farming of glands much easier. That, and getting 10 seashells, 1 rope and 2 seaweed really isn't complicated. As for poisonous holes, if your timing really sucks, just slap on a gas mask. As for stink rays, you need a gas mask and the seashell suit, which may or may not be a bug.

In the end, I don't think they should change the recipe for anti venom, but I really think they need to make those glands more common. Right now, the highest chance to earn a gland is from a poisonous holes, which is 50% of the time when dug up. From there, you have stink rays at 33.33%, spider warriors and poison mosquitos at 25%, and finally yellow snakes with a measly 14.2% chance of a gland.

Summary: Recipe is fine, Glands need to be made more common though. Seashell suit is god tier.

Poisoning is an instant buzzkill for the game. It seems to go away on mobs after a bit. Can we have the same for players? An HP cap for it? Or maybe a cure you can scramble for at last minute?

I hate when I have a good game going, don't see the obstructed snake spawned from the tree.

Then death sentence.

My go-to for getting venom glands is stink rays. They only do 3 damage to the boat with their attack, and you don't care about the poison because you're already poisoned. They're also quite common, so you should have found them by the time you get poisoned, unless you were just really careless on the starting island or something.

You don't wait to make antivenom only until you get poisoned, you prepare for such a case. There are more than enough ways to get poison glands and coral with seaweed are plenty.

Got poisoned? Who's fault is it that you got hit?

Honestly, i find it hard to get poisoned so early on. As someone said before a lot of the mobs that can poison you is pretty easy to avoid. If jungle trees are a problem for you because of the random snake spawns, then chop down the palm trees instead (it's safe and you could get some food out of it). A seashell suit is now one of the first things i make after i establish a base. And monsoon season is when i start farming for glands from mosquitoes since their spawn rate makes it quite easy. If for whatever reason you do get poisoned early on, then just go all out to get a gland/ anti-venom, you have nothing to lose.

Honestly, i find it hard to get poisoned so early on. As someone said before a lot of the mobs that can poison you is pretty easy to avoid. If jungle trees are a problem for you because of the random snake spawns, then chop down the palm trees instead (it's safe and you could get some food out of it). A seashell suit is now one of the first things i make after i establish a base. And monsoon season is when i start farming for glands from mosquitoes since their spawn rate makes it quite easy. If for whatever reason you do get poisoned early on, then just go all out to get a gland/ anti-venom, you have nothing to lose.

There's enough time to even kill 1 snake that falls from the tree without giving it time to attack.

It's embarassing to get poisoned by snakes because they are so slow too.

I see itas some kind of analgesic that has easier recipe (Something like one mushroom + one seaweed), but only stops posion effects for 30 seconds\a minute. 

I was recently thinking about something like that but my idea was more of the likes that it stops poison for 1 day but for that your character refuses to eat anything because the medicine makes them sick in another way.

This way you can't just heal up the damage poison did but you got a bit of time before poison actually kills you.

And i like the idea of using Mushrooms in it since they are common but not to common (maybe need 1 of each kind what maybe encourages you to dig them up early) so it's a bit of a longterm strategie thing since i personally rely on Green Shrooms a lot for healing Sanity if i have nothing else.

Despite starting over and over again and building bases in various locations I get bitten by "invisi tree trunk snakes" or spiders than fancy jumping. Staying away from these mobs is hard because the loot matters in crafting, such as silk. Sure, I can probably sit on a beach for a few seasons and watch time go by but I'd rather explore, gather resources and defeat mobs like DS is supposed to be. Or at least I think that's how the game is supposed to be... It's been hella fun since I started in 2012. Our first goal of Shipwrecked shouldn't be anti-venom scavenging across the map.

A lot of users suggest preparation - which means obtaining all anti-venom ingredients and unlock the recipe at a nearby science machine. We're back at that long list I wrote... The ingredients are so crucial to survival the whole DLC revolves around them at the moment. You can't survive without anti-venom in any way. Poisoning equals death.

If you get hit by a beefalo should you be required to run across the entire map to get 1 honey poultice before that sore butt of yours sends you to the grave?  :applouse:

Despite starting over and over again and building bases in various locations I get bitten by "invisi tree trunk snakes" or spiders than fancy jumping. Staying away from these mobs is hard because the loot matters in crafting, such as silk. Sure, I can probably sit on a beach for a few seasons and watch time go by but I'd rather explore, gather resources and defeat mobs like DS is supposed to be. Or at least I think that's how the game is supposed to be... It's been hella fun since I started in 2012. Our first goal of Shipwrecked shouldn't be anti-venom scavenging across the map.

A lot of users suggest preparation - which means obtaining all anti-venom ingredients and unlock the recipe at a nearby science machine. We're back at that long list I wrote... The ingredients are so crucial to survival the whole DLC revolves around them at the moment. You can't survive without anti-venom in any way. Poisoning equals death.

If you get hit by a beefalo should you be required to run across the entire map to get 1 honey poultice before that sore butt of yours sends you to the grave?  :applouse:

You are so over-dramatizing such a simple and easy to handle mechanic. Seashells are not hard to come by, seaweed too, should I say about grass? All combined create the chainmail suit that protects you from getting poisioned from melee hits.

Spider warriors a problem? Just milk the spider den by killing 2 regular spiders at a time until it's all wiped out.

Invisible snakes? What? Are they actually invisible or do you not seem them behind the loot that spawned from the tree? A bug has nothing to do with poison mechanic if that's the case.

The DLC revolves around anti-venom? You can simply go out to a bunch of stink rays, murder them and their families, gather the spoils of victory that are the glands. Then you go mining for enough coral (do you imply that you just get coral enough for 1 antivenom or that your sci-fi maps spawn only 1 coral reef that it's so far away from you?) for plenty of recipes (including chimnea, suit maybe, antivenom). Then on your way home, you'll inevitably stumble across enough seaweed.

You can't get killed solely by venom in 1 day, you have enough time to get to your base if you didn't bring antivenom with you. You didn't make one? Well whose fault is it that now you're in deep manure?

If I don't want to play the game the way its intended, should I back my wish with some unreal reasons in spite of the fact that others aren't having a hard time in hope of me sounding right? :applouse:

Poison is fine guys please... Stop creating topics to nerf it, if you get poisoned your play style is wrong is so many ways.

You can build seashell armor.

You can build gas mask.

Fart holes' timing is so dumb that you even need a gas mask

stink rays are easy to run way

You are not the first one to create a topic like this. Don't try to make the game easier.

The people will always say the same thing, if you got poisoned then it's your mistake, the game offers you many ways to prevent this to happen. If you got poisoned early game then you'll not going to lose many things...

You are so over-dramatizing such a simple and easy to handle mechanic. Seashells are not hard to come by, seaweed too, should I say about grass? All combined create the chainmail suit that protects you from getting poisioned from melee hits.

Yes I'm aware of those, but it won't happen without a science machine and unlocked recipes. I must've been very unlucky with map generation I guess? Gold and coral reefs has been a pain to come by. Playing as Wickerbottom is slightly easier with unlocked row boats and such, she makes travel less of a snail-train. I've gotten pretty far with her, we'll see how it turns out.

You are not the first one to create a topic like this. Don't try to make the game easier.

Your reasoning would apply if an ordinary casual-gamer newbie started spamming threads, but this is my very first nerf thread ever. No other part of DS has ever bothered me, it's perfect as it is <3

I've played DS since 2012 and ROG + DST beta as soon as they were released. I'm always the one to feed newbies in multiplayer and handling myself in single-player has never been a problem. Considering the fact that no part of DS has been too hard for me, how come poisoning is? Because it turned out to be hard. That's what struck my mind and I thought I'd make a thread about it. FINALLY something that would kill me in matter of days, that makes a bell ring in your head you know.

Why am I even writing this... Do we have to prove ourselves to keep the elitist scum at bay? There are plenty of threads with nonsense issues that deserve your attention, I never belonged to that category.

In order to cure poisoning the following actions must be done:

- Build raft and pickaxe

- Find gold

- Build science machine

- Collect 3 Seaweed

- Find coral reef and collect 2 corals

- Farm poison snakes or find poisonous holes

- Grab that precious venom gland

- Unlock anti-venom recipe

- Yay! You're cured and very low on health and resources...

You haven't provided enough information to back up your statement. How many worlds proved to be hassle for you?

Provide images of your explored area, days passed. What poisoned you, was it preventable? You mentioned spider warriors, they start spawning from lvl 2 dens, by that time you should've made antivenom.

And you can't find 1 piece of gold? You can get gold from golden rocks, golden magma piles, slot machine.

See, if you posted some proof there wouldn't've been such a backlash.

You haven't provided enough information to back up your statement. How many worlds proved to be hassle for you?

Provide images of your explored area, days passed. What poisoned you, was it preventable? You mentioned spider warriors, they start spawning from lvl 2 dens, by that time you should've made antivenom.

And you can't find 1 piece of gold? You can get gold from golden rocks, golden magma piles, slot machine.

See, if you posted some proof there wouldn't've been such a backlash.

There is no way I can take screenshots of old attempts. Neither can I access the data, unless you know a fancy way to dig through DS files and find data?

I currently have one Shipwrecked save file (wickerbottom) and haven't died by poisoning yet. I'll think of your advice once I get poisoned again :grin:

Hey, although I think you think that we're trying to attack you or your philosophy, I'm not. So although I don't have too many posts, I'll give you the advice I use to keep healthy and poison free! After all, no matter how many hours you have logged in, everyone could use a hand at some point.

Once again, there are only select few mobs that can poison you, I've already listed them above. Each of them has a trick that you can use to evade them.

Poisonous snakes are very easy to take out, think of them as spiders, although you can't stun lock them forever. Thankfully, 3 hits with a spear or less with better equipment will take them down. Remember to keep your ears and eyes open though, they have a distinct hissing noise when they spawn from a jungle tree. If that's not working out for you, you could try to back up a bit every time you chop a jungle tree to see if a snake spawned or have a seashell suit on you.

For Spider Warriors, I agree with you. Their jumping attack is quite annoying to dodge and almost means guaranteed poison! That's why you don't fight them.

As mentioned above, Spider Warriors can only spawn from a Tier 2 or 3 spider den (or a queen, but that's a whole different subject). However, Spider Warriors only spawn on two conditions:

A: A spider on their sticky webbing or slightly nearby has been attacked.

B: Their den is being attacked and Spiders are still inside.

If none of those conditions are met, no warriors will spawn. So when farming spiders, bait the spiders out in groups. Although each den has an increased amount of spiders they can hold then the last (3 - 6 - 9). They all can be killed in 3 groups due to how they send out spiders. If you empty out a den so that no more spiders can spawn, no warriors will show up, meaning that the den is ready to be destroyed. (Note: Warriors can spawn when a den is empty and being destroyed in Together only or if a spider spawns that instant in the den while you're attacking, if this makes you paranoid, slap a seashell suit on while you're breaking the den.)

Poisonous Mosquitos can be stunlocked and only appear in one season (outside of bad slot machine rolls), along with having a very distinct noise they create. If you want to play it safe, seashell suit.

As for Stink Rays, they're the trickiest to avoid. Simply, don't fight them. Poison Holes? ...Just ignore them or have good timing to dig them up.

Now, in the case that the following tips don't work, and you've been poisoned! Stay calm, and use these tips below to keep the situation under control.

1. Start looking for the ingredients for anti venom, being 1 gland, and a bit of coral and seaweed.

2. Gather Coral at a Coral reef. If you haven't found one already, sail around the world and look for one. As for Seaweed, you can often find it in coral reefs or along the perimeter of an island.

3. For the gland, if you've found them, hunt down and kill stink rays. I believe (take this with a grain of salt) that they don't do much damage. So just take and massacre them. Math dictates that by killing 3 rays, you're basically guaranteed one unless your unlucky.

4. Build a Science machine if you lack one already or an alchemy engine. It's pretty cheap and if needed, can be hammered down if you really want the resources back.

5. Craft your anti venom, and take a deep breath of accomplishment.

If you have trouble with any of these steps and can't get one of the valuable resources, (Haven't found stink rays or a coral reef), keep calm and use these few tips to keep your HP high while you search:

1. If you have a crockpot, prepare the following recipes to help keep that HP up!

Bisque: 3 Limpets, 1 Ice. (60 HP, 18.75 Hunger, 5 Sanity.)

Surf 'n' Turf: 1 Monster Meat, 3 Limpents (60 HP, 37.5 Hunger, 33 Sanity.)

Although there are more shipwrecked recipes that give a lot of recipes and some from the vanilla game (Looking at you, Dragonpie.) These are the easiest, most resource efficient recipes I can give you for someone in their early days.

2. No crockpot? No problem! There are other ways of keeping that HP up without one!

The best one is a classic DS stable, butterfly wings! These give a nice 8 HP on consumption, and are easy to get at any point of time, just find a flower during the day, and get killing. You also have a 2% chance of butter, which can be eaten raw for a fantastic 40 HP or if you do have a crockpot, made into waffles with an egg and berry and a filler for a whopping 70 HP! If you're out at sea, you can also gather seaweed, which when cooked, give 3 HP each. It's not much, but with how plentiful seaweed is, it can keep you going for awhile.

Anywho, that's the best I can give you. Always keep in mind though, when on a crazy search for those glands/coral, Don't Starve!

They could give snake oil an anti-venom effect, and make it a 2-3 use item. That's be a good way to make it a decent rare drop, but not unbalanced.

Or they could add an antivenom alternative that is easier to craft but has a spoilage time of around 1-3 days. Maybe a similar recipe to the healing salve but with slight alterations, like replacing the rocks with flint and the ashes with charcoal. If there was something like this, you would be able to craft it early on to get rid of the poison effect, but it would be useless for stockpiling late game. Also, it should include non-renewable resources (like rocks) to craft, so to discourage people from crafting it later on.

As someone who ends up with stacks and stacks of glands and antivenom just sitting around after a year has passed, I just can't agree with this, personally. 

I do, however, think the seashell suit and simply being extremely cautious around poisonous things is completely fair to ask of a player and actually adds a lot to the game.

Pls don't nerf.

Archived