Cant record with fraps ?

sitarck

I have no clue... I'm assuming your playing the steam version because the chrome version would be no problem. I had an idea that if maybe you recorded your desktop and played the game in windowed mode you could then crop the video to just the game.

Fraps has worked flawlessly recording Don't Starve (Steam) for

now for me. It also worked fine for me in Chrome for the first run-through I did. I've had other people ask me how to get Fraps to work (who know I use it in my series), but honestly it's just always worked.

I would ask if you had the latest version of Fraps, but I know of 2 others who do who can not get it to work either. I also have an amazing computer, but one of those who could not get it to work (who also had the latest Fraps) has a computer on par with mine, so it's odd. It's a problem I've heard from a number of people now and I'm starting to feel like I just got lucky...

Don't know if you've tried this already but I have problems with Fraps now and then. What I do is close both fraps and the game, then start fraps first in admin mode and then the game. Usually solves the issue for me. Might be worth a try :)

(If you are using steam)

1. Change the Don't Starve settings to windowed.

2. Close Don't Starve.

3. Open FRAPS.

4. Open don't starve(It should always be in windowed now).

5. Press that recording hotkey.

After you do that once, to record again you should be able to skip to the 3rd step.

Hope I helped! ^^

(If you are using steam)

1. Change the Don't Starve settings to windowed.

2. Close Don't Starve.

3. Open FRAPS.

4. Open don't starve(It should always be in windowed now).

5. Press that recording hotkey.

After you do that once, to record again you should be able to skip to the 3rd step.

Hope I helped! ^^

This fixed the problem for me as well.

I use Dxtory to record, it's a great program and actually better than fraps.

How is it better?

That's an honest (non-loaded) question by the way. I'm curious in what ways it is better because I don't know anything about it (other than hearing the name come up from time to time). Perhaps the better question (the answer of which would be the most helpful to someone like me) would be, why would/should someone like myself switch from Fraps to Dxtory?

I'm curious because I've been using Fraps for years (paid version, etc) and it's always worked great for me - but I would be open to switching to something else if that something else not only matched what I am getting from Fraps (at least), but improved on that experience with more features, etc.

Thanks!

How is it better?

That's an honest (non-loaded) question by the way. I'm curious in what ways it is better because I don't know anything about it (other than hearing the name come up from time to time). Perhaps the better question (the answer of which would be the most helpful to someone like me) would be, why would/should someone like myself switch from Fraps to Dxtory?

I'm curious because I've been using Fraps for years (paid version, etc) and it's always worked great for me - but I would be open to switching to something else if that something else not only matched what I am getting from Fraps (at least), but improved on that experience with more features, etc.

Thanks!

http://dxtory.com/v2-home-en.html I may have no idea what it is but here you go.

How is it better?

Thanks!

I'd like to know this as well, it seems like a less popular version of FRAPS that I have to pay for in 3,600($40) Japanese Yen(But google seems to think it is Chinese yuan)

I've tried a lot of different combinations to see if it was just a minor glitch, but it just doesn't record on fullscreen. Your best bet is to just window mode it as close to 16x9 as possible (or whatever you standard resolution is) and work with that. I have my resolution set to 16x9 and when I max window it the window is almost fullscreen. It's not 100% but it still produces a presentable video.

I have the solution for my resolution problem, turns out i was just plain stupid.

But now i have a huge problem with fraps.

Every 5 seconds or so, fraps tries to "take over". It makes the DS window flash black, with only the fraps fps thingy shown, for a split second. Anybody knows how to fix that? If you need an example vid, i will UL one one i get home (in like 6 hours).

PS: digging out old threads is still better than making new ones amirite?!

I have the solution for my resolution problem, turns out i was just plain stupid.

But now i have a huge problem with fraps.

Every 5 seconds or so, fraps tries to "take over". It makes the DS window flash black, with only the fraps fps thingy shown, for a split second. Anybody knows how to fix that? If you need an example vid, i will UL one one i get home (in like 6 hours).

PS: digging out old threads is still better than making new ones amirite?!

Well you could just use bandicam since lots of people say fraps is crap and i use it. The free version only limits the recording time to 10 mins and it leaves a watermark. You can see my video:

Well you could just use bandicam since lots of people say fraps is crap and i use it. The free version only limits the recording time to 10 mins and it leaves a watermark. You can see my video:

Thing is, i usually try to make like an hour of content in one sitting, then split and upload it with Sony Vegas.

While I personally use Fraps, I can recommend Open Broadcaster Software (OBS) as a fully-featured free alternative. While it's designed to be an alternative to Xplit for people who like to live stream games, it's also got a useful Save to File feature (found under broadcast settings) that turns out pretty good quality video if you aren't compressing to stream.